Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
Savory fillings Banh Ran without sesame seeds

Sugary coated

These look so cute, great for parties.

Cr to theravenouscouple & other rightful owners

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Meow, I live far from Asian community so once in awhile my mom would order $30 for 100 balls (3/$1 but she always gives 100's) from this Lao's lady, and I always have them around and handy in my freezer for my crazy midnight craving. She made it so good, thin and crispy outer layer and just enough inside fillers, because I don't like too much of the filling.  I am so uses to her thin crust sesame balls that everytime I see thick and chewing one I would think those are bad and someone doesn't know how to made them LOLz.

By the way, does she shares her dough recipe? lol  :wink:

Thank you Ms. Zoe for the pictures. :)   The savory fillers I made today was with shallot, ground pork, black/white peppers and mung bean.  And I also rolls in a mixture of black and white sesame so it wouldn't get mix up with the regular one with just the white sesame, and it actually look quite nice with two colors sesames, it's just the dough taste bad that's all HAHAHA LOL.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
I'll ask her :). She cooks so good cus her family owned a restaurant back home before they moved here. We offered to open one for her here but she didn't want to deal with it.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Thank you in advance, but is her dough thin and crispy or chewy?   :D 

I'll be right back, going to do a second test run now with some tweaking of the dough, see how it will turn out this time.  :nailbiter:   :phew:  

Ms.Zoe

@Maya - Hehe...practice makes perfect :dance2:...hoping your second try will be a success *fingers crossed...I love to post photos lol...that is so cool with two colored sesame seeds :clap:.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Maya_Fantasy said:
Thank you in advance, but is her dough thin and crispy or chewy?   :D 

I'll be right back, going to do a second test run now with some tweaking of the dough, see how it will turn out this time.  :nailbiter:   :phew:  
Thin, crispy, and not too chewy. She makes both sweet and savory. My friends love the savory mung bean with pork so she makes that one a lot. I'll see her for Thanksgiving so I'll ask her cus she'll be making them. She usually make them during the family gathering holidays.

Ms.Zoe

I guess it is the cold weather that is making me hungry when I just finished my dinner hahaha.

Banh Tieu - Vietnamese Hollow Donut/Bread

You could eat them alone or with other desserts & in this case with Banh Bo (steamed type)

With savory fillings

Cr as tagged & to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

It has been a week since my last post & I am craving for sweet foods lately...nah I am always craving for sweet foods :rofl:.

Here is Che Ba Mau aka Vietnamese Three Color Dessert. Why it is called by that name is because it is a colorful dessert with 3 colors. Green from the jelly, Yellow from mung bean paste & Red from red beans. Well, there is also 1 more color, White from the coconut milk. The red beans on the bottom, mung bean paste in the middle & green jelly on top with coconut milk and crushed ice. A couple of tablespoons of sugar water for sweetness. Usually, the beans, paste & jelly are flavored & they make this dessert taste even more delicious. The ingredients could be in different order & when you eat it, you mix everything all up.

Cr to rightful owner

cecilia

Staff member
I want some Banh Bo. Hopefully, I'll find some this weekend when I'm there in Milwaukee ... I should try to learn how to make it from my mom.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Ms.Zoe said:
It has been a week since my last post & I am craving for sweet foods lately...nah I am always craving for sweet foods :rofl:.
Here is Che Ba Mau aka Vietnamese Three Color Dessert. Why it is called by that name is because it is a colorful dessert with 3 colors. Green from the jelly, Yellow from mung bean paste & Red from red beans. Well, there is also 1 more color, White from the coconut milk. The red beans on the bottom, mung bean paste in the middle & green jelly on top with coconut milk and crushed ice. A couple of tablespoons of sugar water for sweetness. Usually, the beans, paste & jelly are flavored & they make this dessert taste even more delicious. The ingredients could be in different order & when you eat it, you mix everything all up.

Cr to rightful owner
I had this today after I landed lol. My bestfriend picked me up with it. Omg totally hit the spot!

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Ncmeowmeow35 said:
I had this today after I landed lol. My bestfriend picked me up with it. Omg totally hit the spot!
I love that...but hubby always mixed his together and watching him doing that makes me gag lol. I like to eat it one layer at a time. Because when it's mixed the water looks brown hahaha

Ms.Zoe

Cool! :dance2: I could read minds hahaha.

Ncmeowmeow35 said:

The color may not look nice but it still taste yummy ;).

byebye said:
I love that...but hubby always mixed his together and watching him doing that makes me gag lol. I like to eat it one layer at a time. Because when it's mixed the water looks brown hahaha

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
I tend to like less red beans and more of the green stuff. In Thai, we call it lawd chong.

Ms.Zoe

@Mew - Is lod chong goes with red beans and others along with the green stuff? I googled & it looks like lod chong are all the green stuff.

I have posted one Vietnamese dessert similar to lod chong a few pages back. It is called Che Banh Lot.

Ms.Zoe

I think if you live in the big cities, you will know BamBu. I think the name BamBu is inspired by the word Bamboo. The bamboos are important in Vietnamese culture. They sell many Vietnamese desserts & drinks, traditional & modern ones.

Here is one with Banh Lot (green stuff) on the bottom, artificial pomegranate seeds (they are made from water chestnut & tapioca flour with red food color & black jelly on top. So colorful & yummy :yummy: :spin:.

Cr to rightful owner & BamBu

Ms.Zoe

Xôi Gấc - Red sticky rice

This rich colored dessert plays an important role in Vietnamese culture; it is essential in traditional Vietnamese weddings & Lunar New Year. The naturally rich color and fragrant flavor are made from the Gac fruit ("baby jackfruit or sweet gourd").

It can be molded into many different shapes & forms.

Yummy :yummy:, It can be eaten alone or with other foods.

The Gac fruit

Gac fruit seeds

P.s. It is more orange than red :lol:.

Cr as tagged & to rightful owners