Let's Eat & Drink - Vietnamese Cuisine, Foods & Drinks (˘▽˘)っ♨ & (*^◇^)_旦

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Yes it is kind of like kanom tien except the process is different. A true kanom tien is made with palm sugar and smoked with candles made of pure bees wax. My grandmother made the best, miss her so.

cecilia

Staff member
I want some steam sticky rice with banana .. the coconut kind are good too. I know how to make the simple wrap but not the one with the banana inside *will try it one day lol

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
cecilia said:
I want some steam sticky rice with banana .. the coconut kind are good too. I know how to make the simple wrap but not the one with the banana inside *will try it one day lol
I think it is the same as the regular coconut one no? You just put bananas in it.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Ncmeowmeow35 said:
Yes it is kind of like kanom tien except the process is different. A true kanom tien is made with palm sugar and smoked with candles made of pure bees wax. My grandmother made the best, miss her so.

I like the Lao version Kanom nap, but I love, love Lao version of Kanom tien, it's a sweet and savory with palm sugar mix in the flour and mung beans, ground pork and lots of white pepper inside, my friend's mom made it for us it's so good.  My mom asked her for the recipes, but somehow when my mom made them, it does not taste like hers. LOLz. Now I'm craving for one. :weep:

I made pho almost every other week, making one right now, should be ready in an hour. :drools:   

It's so simple, there really is nothing to it beside boiled the beef bones or beef ribs for an hour or so with the seasoning, onion, ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves, celery stick, carrot or chinese white turnip for sweetness. Soak the rice stick noodles .... and VIOLA! It's good to go with a touch of hot pepper oil, green onion, cilantro, basil, bean sprout and lime. :yummy:  :yummy:   :yummy:   :yummy:   :yummy:

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
Banh Bao (Vietnamese Steamed Buns)

Banh Bao Nuong (Vietnamese Baked Buns)

There are also the sweet steamed or baked buns of Banh Bao too.

Cr as tagged & to rightful owners

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Ms.Zoe said:
Does anyone of you guys eat these with Pho? They are culantro.

Cr to rightful owner
Yes i do!! Love those and basil! Lol

I make bahn bao often too. We call that salapao. I also put peas and chinese sausage in mine

Ms.Zoe

I like peas but I don't like Chinese sausage in my Banh Bao. I like it in other Vietnamese foods.

I am thinking of cooking Canh O Qua (Vietnamese Stuffed Bitter Melon Soup) for my sibling on her birthday.

Cr to rightful owner

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I love that too...when I am not feeling good that's yummy stuff. Gosh, after looking at all these I have to learn how to cook.

Ms.Zoe

My sister loves this, she also love bitter melon with scrambled eggs, dried shrimps, cut scallions, fried shallots & cilantro. Bitter melon reduces blood pressure, not ideal to eat a lot of for people with low blood pressure. And it also reduce blood sugar level.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
It is very easy!

I like it with scrambled eggs too but I don't like them too bitter like the way I lik them in soup so i slice them up and soak them in salt water.

Ms.Zoe

You know what guys, I have not made it before, making it later this week will be my first time lol...I saw my mom made it many times so the ways she did it, it seemed easy.

I did made a similar dish like it but vegetarian style lol. Instead of pork, I used tofu & substitute bitter melons for tomatoes. And the cooking process is different.

Cr to rightful owner

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
The way I make it takes a bit longer.

For the stuffings i use:

Ground pork
1/2 Yellow sweet onions- chopped
1 small bundle of vermicelli bean thread (soak in warm water to get it soften then slice to make it short, i just bundle it up and cut it i to 3s)
1/2 cup of This black fungus mushroom that i dont know what it is called lol but you soak them in warm water to soften it, i also cut them to make it smaller.
1/2 cup of choppd green onions
1 minced garlic
Fresh ground salt and peppers to taste (about 3 twist each)
I also add 1/2 tsp of pork knorr.

Mix ingredients all up.

I cut the bittermellon about an inch to two ince wide, scoop out the seeds then stuff it with ground pork mixture.

For the soup, bring a pot of water to a boil, add two pinches of salt and I add pork bones, let it boil for about 20-30 mins to bring out the flavor then add the stuff bitter melon. Cook til the meat is cooked and the melon is soft but not overcooked.

Ms.Zoe

Thank you for the recipe Mew. I do the same things too when cooking bitter melons with scrambled eggs & etc.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Thanks...will try it one day. Just have to go to an Asian's supermarket first. I don't like driving there. It's like a 25 mins drive.

Well, made bamboo stir fry today. It would be better with black pepper but didn't want to push because of the stitches.

Ms.Zoe

Not only you could stuff ground meats & etc. into bitter melons, you could also stuff them into cucumbers, tomatoes, tofus, squids & etc. but the cooking process is different between these with stuffed bitter melons.

Stuffed tofus with tomato sauce :yummy:

Stuffed squids :drool:

I love them melons :lol:, Stuffed winter melons, the cooking process is same with stuffed bitter melons.

Cr as tagged