Learn Khmer

BlueMoon

SArNWorld STAFF
well another word to use for animal...involving "death" is Disuk which is almost the same as the Thai word "Di" ... it's more fancy though I've only heard it a few times mostly in temples...

Hiatus

Super Momo
BlueMoon said:
well another word to use for animal...involving "death" is Disuk which is almost the same as the Thai word "Di" ... it's more fancy though I've only heard it a few times mostly in temples...
[post="107928"][/post]​

lmao I can't pronounce the word so it doesnt ring a bell. :lmao:

sisii

none3 said:
you know what i also found weird...

it's rude to say people nguop (die)...you have to say slap (die)
cause nguop is for animals.

one of my favorite song used the word ngoup...i was like...huh? isn't that rude to say? hahaha

but i guess if you say it as an expression it's okay...like nguop hye!
hahahaa
[post="106397"][/post]​
I guess the polite way to say when someone died especially for elders is 'khaut'. Not sure if I spelled it right but my mom told me thats what we say then we understand that the person passed away.

untinnu

sarNie Adult
'khaut'? i don't think i've heard that just 'khaut' but i've heard 'song-khaut' which also means die or passed away but used only for monks and royalties. . .

when u say khaut is less important than you say slap because the second one is too strong .
When u talking about a old person who is died u have to say khaut not slap like when u break something.

Num4ever

sarNie Juvenile
BlueMoon said:
Okay...most that visit this thread are somewhat Khmer...right? Even if you don't want to admit it..lol..I'm kidding I'm kidding...jk :unsure: ....so I'm bored...I started this thread to improve my Khmer...like sometimes I don't understand why there so many ways to say one word....so since we are all Khmers in some way or form...let's help each other out....

The word:

Eat

Question: Why is there so many way to say this word....let's see

-Chun- for the monk, Yum & Hope- for sisters or brothers or and elder friends, Psah- for your parents and uncles and aunties, See & Saow- for peoples your age or younger :huh:

Second Word:

Sleep

Question: Same thing so many ways...

-dek-for peoples your age or younger, kan- for elder peoples, Patom- use only for the king family.

hope that's help

okay I'll be back with more....I hope someone answers
[post="104374"][/post]​

kristin

sarNie Egg
Interesting. Lol. I'm sitting in front of my computer pronouncing those words and laughing to myself. lol. I sound so fobby when speaking khmer, so i never gave it a try. lol. only when I'm talking to my grandmother who has alzheimers.

MDrifter

sarNie Egg
You guys are hilarious lol
I never knew jungle people use "charas chrom".
My mom would sometimes say "mow charas bai" whenever she gets irritated with me lol :lmao:

Kkrystal

สุภาพบุรุษจุฑาเทพ
There's formal/informal polite/impolite talk. Now that you think it....lolz how the heck did we all know these words again? hehehe.

Srobin is also another word for dreaming.

Sromol sromai=Envision????

secret= If you had the dream last night "Kyom geng youl sop kerng..." or "Youp men, kyom geng srobin kerng..."

lolz oh gosh my khmer-glish is going thaii-glish...

rearthrey ngor ngit nuk kerng broh tlai, broh uay broh snae, joranai bong nuow thee nah,
vul mow jop knear tham suniya, vul mow vul nah, oun jum mur pluw...

ahaha i need to go learn khmer...my thai is influencing me.

untinnu

sarNie Adult
^ OMG. . that lil poem is beautiful!! sweet!!

soben and yul-sop is the same. . i think that soben is like a fancier or more sophisticated way for dream tho. .

Kkrystal

สุภาพบุรุษจุฑาเทพ
if you can understand that lolz that means my khmer is still okay hehe...

Xtra-K

sarNie Egg
BlueMoon said:
Okay...most that visit this thread are somewhat Khmer...right? Even if you don't want to admit it..lol..I'm kidding I'm kidding...jk :unsure: ....so I'm bored...I started this thread to improve my Khmer...like sometimes I don't understand why there so many ways to say one word....so since we are all Khmers in some way or form...let's help each other out....

The word:

Eat

Question: Why is there so many way to say this word....let's see

-Chun, Yum, Hope, Psah, See, Saow :huh:

Second Word:

Sleep

Question: Same thing so many ways...

-dek, kan, Patom,etc

okay I'll be back with more....I hope someone answers
[post="104374"][/post]​
The reason why we have many words for specific people is based on there "social status". Theres are words used for roayalty, for the monks, for elders, people of higher rank and people that are infurior. I think its cool how specific words are used for specific positions. Its shows respect to who you are speaking to.

queeny_bee

sarNie Juvenile
can someone write out

"once upon a time..." in khmer for me?

Do you write with the english alphabet too or no? It would be great if someone could help me. THanks!

can someone write out

"once upon a time..." in khmer for me?

Do you write with the english alphabet too or no? It would be great if someone could help me. THanks!
;) it have a different way to say it...before to give u a good translation for that i needto khnow what will u say then and to what u refer because this expression doesn't work in all the way.... ^_^

queeny_bee

sarNie Juvenile
it would be like saying the english version... telling a fairytale, folklore, or myth.

once upon a time... there lived a beautiful princess in a beautiful castle.

our university club is doing an event on southeast asian folklores and we would like to represent southeast asian countries' different ways of saying "Once upon a time..."

pleang sney if you could reply back ASAP, that would be so awesome!! thanks for your help!

sueliq

sarNie Hatchling
it would be like saying the english version... telling a fairytale, folklore, or myth.

once upon a time... there lived a beautiful princess in a beautiful castle.

our university club is doing an event on southeast asian folklores and we would like to represent southeast asian countries' different ways of saying "Once upon a time..."

pleang sney if you could reply back ASAP, that would be so awesome!! thanks for your help!

mean tagnay muy...is one way to say it