Learn Khmer

BlueMoon

SArNWorld STAFF
Okay...most that visit this thread are somewhat Khmer...right? Even if you don't want to admit it..lol..I'm kidding I'm kidding...jk :unsure: ....so I'm bored...I started this thread to improve my Khmer...like sometimes I don't understand why there so many ways to say one word....so since we are all Khmers in some way or form...let's help each other out....

The word:

Eat

Question: Why is there so many way to say this word....let's see

-Chun, Yum, Hope, Psah, See, Saow :huh:

Second Word:

Sleep

Question: Same thing so many ways...

-dek, kan, Patom,etc

okay I'll be back with more....I hope someone answers

sarN

sarNie Granny
oooO i know i know ! Cuz each words is use according to their age and status . To an elder person of course u say "Psah" cuz it the respect way. If some one is around ur age u can say " See" same thing goes for sleeping .

untinnu

sarNie Adult
Bluemoon said:
Eat

Question: Why is there so many way to say this word....let's see

-Chun, Yum, Hope, Psah, See, Saow 

Second Word:

Sleep

Question: Same thing so many ways...

-dek, kan, Patom,etc

okay I'll be back with more....I hope someone answers
Chun= to use with monks
Yum= to use with someone around your age
Hope= to use with an older person
Pee-sah= to use with elder people
See= to use with animals
Saow= to use with royalties

dek= to sleep
kan= to take a nap
Patom= to use with royalties
also there's:
sung= to use when speaking with monks
som-ran=to use when talking about an elder person

hope that helps you to understand more. .

Khatiya

sarNie Adult
Seem like there's a set of word that is used with every MAKE & MODEL (The human being that is lolzzz)

BlueMoon

SArNWorld STAFF
sarN said:
oooO i know i know ! Cuz each words is use according to their age and status . To an elder person of course u say "Psah" cuz it the respect way. If some one is around ur age u can say " See" same thing goes for sleeping .
[post="104376"][/post]​
ahhh...Sarn you use the word "See" ....I don't use that I use Yum if speaking with people in general...

Khatiya funny one...lol...but actually I know when to use the words...just don't know why?

I have problems speaking with monks...I don't know what words to use...I just sit there and smile... :rolleyes:

st_nba

sarNie Juvenile
I have use all the words for eat except for hope.

sisii

ohh yeah talking about khmer saying what are the other different words you used with monks? Like talk, walk... I don't want to sound dumb on Chaul Chnam at the Wat :sweat:

dfemc

sarNie Adult
yeeah much of the southeast asian culture is formed based on hierarchy and status... so depending on who u speak to, there's a different set of vocab. there's a bit of it here, sometimes certain vocabulary in english could be exclusive to a whole 'nother working group or professional group altogether. pretty intersesting shtuff...

sisii said:
ohh yeah talking about khmer saying what are the other different words you used with monks? Like talk, walk... I don't want to sound dumb on Chaul Chnam at the Wat :sweat:
[post="105059"][/post]​
To answer to ur question the word u have to use with monks are:
- "chan" for eat
- "some lok nimom" for please go there
- " dekon" refer to him
- "kana" refer to u

And it depends what u want to ask or to say but don't forget add "bath" or tiah" if u are a boy or a girl>
i don't khnow what termes or phrases u want to khnow but it the basic khnowledge to talking to the monks

HAPPY NEW YEAR, BONNE ANNEE, GUTES NEUES JEHRES, SOUSDEY TCHNAM TMEY.

untinnu

sarNie Adult
^ yeah. . 'see' is used for animals, like i posted earlier. .

and as for 'maybe', it's 'praw-hael'

(hope you can read my khmer-english)

sisii

pleang sney said:
To answer to ur question the word u have to use with monks are:
- "chan" for eat
- "some lok nimom" for please go there
- " dekon" refer to him
- "kana" refer to u

And it depends what u want to ask or to say but don't forget add "bath" or tiah" if u are a boy or a girl>
i don't khnow what termes or phrases u want to khnow but it the basic khnowledge to talking to the monks

HAPPY NEW YEAR, BONNE ANNEE, GUTES NEUES JEHRES, SOUSDEY TCHNAM TMEY.
[post="105212"][/post]​

none3

sarNie Hatchling
you know what i also found weird...

it's rude to say people nguop (die)...you have to say slap (die)
cause nguop is for animals.

one of my favorite song used the word ngoup...i was like...huh? isn't that rude to say? hahaha

but i guess if you say it as an expression it's okay...like nguop hye!
hahahaa

Hiatus

Super Momo
you wouldn't want to say Ma SEE bai ! LOL trust you wouldn't want to say that or even to your relatives hahahaha or they are going to be Ah mee chow mai! lol

Linn

SarNworld Wonderer
huahaha...that's funny hiatus..

that wouldn't happen if u say it to younger ppl...close friends...or animals...lol

Secrets

sarNie Hatchling
The one word I never used for eat is "hope". Don't know why, guess I was never taught that. It's either yum or pisah. "See" is another word I never used unless referring to animals, I really hate it when I hear someone say that word, even if it's to someone younger than them.

Wow, untinuu, you really know your Khmer. :D But I always thought that "dayk" and "kayng" mean the same thing (sleep/to sleep) just that kayng is a more polite way to say it. Didn't know one's for nap and the other for sleep.

And here's one that I don't really know the difference: "youl sop" and "srawmai". It both means dream or to dream, but are there any differences in the meaning?

untinnu

sarNie Adult
youl sop = dream (when you sleeping)
srawmai = to daydream (like when u drift away or zone out), or like in lakorns, when characters think back to one point of their life, we also use the word srawmai. .

hope that helps. .

Secrets

sarNie Hatchling
Ok, I understand now. So if I dreamt about something last night, I wouldn't say: "Youp meng kyom srawmai kerng...." The correct way to say it would be: "Youp meng kyom youl sop kerng..." Is that right? Hehehee, thanks for your help, untinnu :D