Laos Weddings

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Food sux in Lao wedding, it's so cheap compared to Cambodian or Thai. We get the same sticky rice, dried meat, larb, nam, etc. Then you get the usual drunk crowd who always gets plastered and either embarrasses people or pick fights. Going once is enough, more than that and you want to hang yourself. Yea, I'm Lao.
It's not fancy but I wouldn't say it sucks. Unless it was all home made and the person making it didn't know how to cook.
Lao and Thai food, in case you didn't know, are very similar. Southeast Asian food in general have several similar dishes.

I've never seen stick rice served at a Lao wedding before, that's interesting. Actually, now that I think of it I've never seen any of the stuff you mentioned at any of the weddings I've been too. I mean there was Lao food there but it wasn't everyday stuff like that, they at least had some quality stuff.

Toon

Official Robert Pattinson Ambassador
Food sux in Lao wedding, it's so cheap compared to Cambodian or Thai. We get the same sticky rice, dried meat, larb, nam, etc. Then you get the usual drunk crowd who always gets plastered and either embarrasses people or pick fights. Going once is enough, more than that and you want to hang yourself. Yea, I'm Lao.

You know you should speak for yourself because I've been to many Lao weddings and American weddings and I can definitely say that I always have to have something to eat when I go home from an American wedding. From a Lao wedding I'm always full and I get to bring stuff back home too. It just depends on the host and hostess of the wedding. I know when my cousin got married, my aunt and my mother and a bunch of other ladies helped to cook for the Lao traditional wedding and there were plenty of good quality food. Not just Lao food but Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese and oh American stuff like home-made fried chicken wings, mashed potatoes, spaghetti and meatballs, soups and salads. See you get sucky quality foods if your hostess makes sucky quality foods and then you get great amounts of quality foods if your hostess is a great cook and generous too. Which my aunt was. Then for the American church wedding the bride's family shelled out the dough for the food and liquor. Which I thought was great.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
i've only been to a few Lao weddings, and for me.. I thought the food was great. I just wished it would be a buffet style instead of a restaurant type. Cause if it was a buffet style, hell, I'll be sitting right next to the buffet table eating Som moo, Yum Salat, Nam, Summer rolls, fried noodles all night. Oh man.. I'm hungry now.

saobomp

sarNie Adult
i agree with you Ladyofdarkness about who the hostess are!!!

i know when we have special occassions we make sure there's plenty and good quality dishes for our guest. food such as yum salad, yum seafood, larb seen or yum seen or larb gai, papaya salad, meatball, lao noodles, eggrolls, fried rice, soup nor mai, pepper steak, fried wings, beef jerky, and 3 different kinds of desserts.

perhaps the wedding he went too was on a budget hehe or cooked the food in advance for it to be dried out like that...

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
I can say honestly that every Lao wedding I've been to have had amazing food. Maybe people here are just chef to be. My dad is a Thai chef, but he's awesome in both Thai and Lao food!!!

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
i recently went to a lao/chinese wedding and was alittle disappointed because they didnt do lao or chinese ceremony rather they opted for westerned sort of wedding including food!, which is a little sad because the lao ceremony even though LONG it is very beautiful and our wedding food is amazing

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
We finally finished my bro wedding, both Lao and Church in one day. Let me tell you it was long! I'll put some pictures. We had so much leftovers food. And if you are having a lao wedding, make sure you make a list of all the thing you need, because it seem endless.

cindemz

sarNie Egg
It's not fancy but I wouldn't say it sucks. Unless it was all home made and the person making it didn't know how to cook.
Lao and Thai food, in case you didn't know, are very similar. Southeast Asian food in general have several similar dishes.

I've never seen stick rice served at a Lao wedding before, that's interesting. Actually, now that I think of it I've never seen any of the stuff you mentioned at any of the weddings I've been too. I mean there was Lao food there but it wasn't everyday stuff like that, they at least had some quality stuff.
Yes I agree laos/thai/cambodian food are very similar as well as our traditions. We have that same three hour tradition and same type of reception which is held at a hall. We have the same rowdy crowd I mean you can't expect people to be boring at a wedding right?... I'd rather have my guest get drunk dance and have fun than have boring guest that just sits there. Its not just laos weddings that have fights I've been to many cambodian, vietnamese and american weddings and yes they have fights there too.

Liberty - the way we serve sticky rice at weddings we either put them in little bags or saran wrap them in individual sizes so it would be easier for guest to eat.

In Mexico it depends of the religion, If you are catolic (and most fo the people are), there is a lot of rituals, some are very fun, other not that much, I'm not catolic, so I never been in a Church, but I can be in the party, and there is a lot of dance, spacy food, but also, a lot of alcohol (beer is the most popular and chep), I don't really like the weddings here, becuase, my people can live their live like northamericans, that's what I love asia, they still have traditions very deep in their hearts, I dream to have a wedding very traditional (thai, laotian, japanese, corean) It dosn't matter, just traditional...