Laos to Host 2009 SEA games

neena

sarNie Adult
CREDITS TO LAOSMILE

The 2009 SEA Games in Vientiane was officially announced to thousands of athletes and officials from Asean nations on Saturday night during the closing ceremony of the 24th SEA Games in Nakhon Ratchasima province, Thailand .

The closing ceremony took place in front of 20,000 spectators in the main stadium in Nakhon Ratchasima.

All Lao athletes and officials who attended the closing ceremony of this year's SEA Games were delighted to be present, as the occasion marked not only the medals they had

won but also the day when Laos took possession of the SEA Games flag ahead of the 25 th SEA Games in Vientiane in 2009.

The Lao delegation receiving the SEA Games flag was led by Standing Deputy Prime Minister and President of the Executive Board of the 2009 SEA Games, Mr Somsavat Lengsavad; the Minister to the Prime Minister's Office, President of the Lao

National Sports Committee and Lao National Olympic Committee, Dr Phouthong Seng-akhom; the Vice President of the Lao National Sports Committee and National Olympic

Committee, Mr Somphou Phongsa; and the Vice President and Secretary General of the Lao National Olympic Committee, Mr Souvannarath Sayavong.

After this year's SEA Games host Thailand presented the SEA Games flag to Laos , a performance by more than 400 Lao artists in five programmes followed.

The first item was a traditional dance and the song Sieng Khaen Lao , featuring the cultural traditions of Lao ethnic groups and the khaen – the country's traditional musical instrument.

The second item was the Sunrise Dance, a traditional dance modified from the Ramayana. This was first performed in Luang Prabang province and depicts the tradition of kindness, friendliness and hospitality of Lao women.

The third item portrayed the Hmong New Year, and by a dance to celebrate the harvest season.

The troupe then performed a song to welcome the 25 th SEA Games in 2009, which will take place in Vientiane .

The song told of the honour and pride the Lao people feel at hosting the SEA Games, and expressed a welcome to all Asean athletes, officials and distinguished guests.

The fifth item on the programme was a song expressing how the games will serve to strengthen relationships, friendship, solidarity and unity.

It is hoped the SEA Games will help to push Asean sports closer to world levels in the near future. In the meantime, Laos is delighted to be hosting the event and warmly welcomes all Asean members to the games in 2009.

Saturday night was an occasion not only for Lao athletes and people around the country to celebrate the passing of the SEA Games flag to Laos but also the fact that Laos had its first ever major victory at the SEA Games this year, winning 5 gold, 7 silver and 32 bronze medals.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
yes, i've been awaiting this myself as well. the construction doesn't seem to be progressing so well, the last time i was there at the site. well, hopefully, they get it together. cuz i wanna see the martial art competition, my awesome nepali trainer will be there for sheezy, so i'll be busting my booty to be there

champthong

sarNie Hatchling
During the closing ceremony, all those Lao performers that welcome all 11 nations to Viengchan in 2009 are all those gorgeous dancers that are in Lao VCD/DVD (that do all those Lao traditional dance). That's pretty imagazing, well to me at least.

Laos P.D.R Olympic Committee constructs a stadium that will hold more than 20,000 spectators. They are improving/building other infrastructures to meet the international sports standard as well, however not all of the sports (i.e. watersports, basketball, gymnastics) can be compete in Laos due to landlock country and insufficient indoor arenas. All infrasturtures should be done by then. It will be a challenge for Laos P.D.R to host such a big regional festival due to insufficient infrastuctures, etc and it is Laos P.D.R first time ever hosting SEA Games. Laos only have 5 years in planning and building everything from scratch, but at the end it will all come together and it will all work out because if Laos failed to meet the qualifications to hold the event, then it will be move to Singapore. It will cost them $80 million to host the game.

I pray to Pra Jao (Lord Buddha) to be a PEACEFUL game in Laos (please no bombing, no killing/shooting, no coming down from jungle to attack city people, no trying to overthrow the government, etc). Let it all bring peace to the game and the country! Pra Jao be with you!

Hats off to Laos P.D.R for hosting the 25th SEA GAMES 2009!

25th SEA Games Mascot. It looks pretty tight! (Laos 2009)

25th SEA Games Emblem (left):

24th SEA Games Mascot! (Thailand 2007)

24th SEA Games Emblem!

23rd SEA Games Mascot: (Philippines 2005)

23rd SEA Games Emblem:

22nd SEA Games Mascot: (Vietnam 2003)

22nd SEA Games Emblem:

noungning

Heartless
why's it say they have 5 years to set everything up... 2009 is a little over a year from now? or do u mean overall, i'm thinking the latter.

anyways, it's great laos is getting more activity. thanks for sharing the official annoucement.

champthong

sarNie Hatchling
Anyone know when is the Sea Games date?
SEA Games are usually held in the month(s) of November and/or December of every two years, however the tentative schedule in Viengchan, Laos 2009 is the 13th-21st of December 2009.

You plan on going? You should go, lots of FUN! Events will be in 3 different locations/provinces (in Muang Luang Prabang, Nakhon Luang Viengchan, and Kraeng Champassak). You have 724 (days) : 07 (hours) : 23 (minutes): 29 (seconds) for the 25th SEA GAMES in Viengchan, Laos 2009.

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
I will be going to the SEA Games in Laos 2009. Gotta go support my fellow Lao playa.

btw, Laos mascot is hella tight. Cute but funny a little LoL

nophankh

sarNie Adult
umm....hopefully it will happen.
I've been to Vientiane and it's not that big.
IF laos doesn't meet the qualifications to meet the event, i read it's gonna be moved to Singapore.
I don't know when they got the news, but I hope it's more than 1 year preparation time. That's not enough time.

chonny

sarNie Egg
umm....hopefully it will happen.
I've been to Vientiane and it's not that big.
IF laos doesn't meet the qualifications to meet the event, i read it's gonna be moved to Singapore.
I don't know when they got the news, but I hope it's more than 1 year preparation time. That's not enough time.
Lynda:
Vientiane is pretty big, but you probably visited the Vientiane Perfecture, which included the Capital. However, Vientiane Province itself is pretty big for the size of the country hehe The games will take place in several different provinces hehe

chonny

sarNie Egg
WOW! Did you guys see the opening ceremony live? Lao did amazing job of hosting the 25th SEA Games. It was a historic moment for Laos when the 25th South East Asian (SEA) Games was officially opened in a colourful ceremony steeped in cultural and historical significance at the new National Stadium in Vientiane last night.

All I got to say is WOW WOW WOW for the opening ceremony! Very well done!!

Here are the clips of the opening ceremony. Don't forget to cheer for your Team or Country.

http://25thseagames.blogspot.com/2009/12/video-clips-opening-of-25th-sea-games.html
http://25thseagames.blogspot.com/
http://www.laosoc.com/

25th SEA Games Home page
http://www.laoseagames2009.com/v1/index.aspx

25th SEA Games, LAOS December 9th to 18th 2009

Freeman

sarNie Egg
Looks like its going to b Laos vs Vietnam in the finals of footbal, hmm well i hope so :lol:

14/Dec/2009 18:00 Semi Final VIE VS SIN Chao Anouvong Stadium
14/Dec/2009 19:00 Semi Final LAO VS MAS National Stadium Sports Complex Main Stadium

Angel2008

sarNie Egg
hmmm i wonder if anyone can upload it coz I want to BURN it out then watch from TV..Can anyone upload plzz/ty advance

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
I just watched some of the music that they made for the events. Look like Laos really invested in this. They had some very good singer performing. I want to see the game too. Someone just sent the music videos of the events. It look like the games would be very enjoyable to watch. There were soo many sports! Look amazing! And so many countries participating too!