Laos People in the US

sl33py

sarNie Hatchling
There is large number of Laos’s population in the US. Some families struggle to better themselves; especially for families whose parents don’t speak English and lack of education. There are many stories out there that Kon Lao become very successfully in the multi-culture society – Some families goes to college and earn a degree like many American does… if you are one of them, please share your story – what college you attend and what is your field study. There will be many happiness if we all know that our Laos families become a very important people …

Thanks in advance for those who participate

noiki

sarNie Hatchling
i think it would be a good idea if you started the first story since you introduced this topic.

sl33py

sarNie Hatchling
noiki said:
i think it would be a good idea if you started the first story since you introduced this topic.
[post="116344"][/post]​
I went to Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee. I hold Master degree in Computer Science and Bachelor in Math. And yeappp my parent can’t speak English… but after all our hard work, everything pays off..

I love to see Laos people become very successfully in everything they do… many Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese is leading in the Asian community.. I want to see Laos on the list. When I mention “Laos” country to some White people.. they’re like… what is that?? That’s a shame.. we need to get our name out there…

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Well Ummm I'm not fully Laos, but a huge part of me a good 50 percent lol and the other half are split with thai and cambodian, but I'm not quite successful yet......

I Plan on being though. I go to UTDallas as a Sophomore now and I'm Working On a Biology and Business Administration Double Major and also ^-^Macroeconomics. After I finish I plan on going to a Medical School in Dallas and Hopefully become a Pediatrician ^-^ I'm not quite successful yet, but I have the drive to be :)

dfemc

sarNie Adult
i guess that depends on the definition of "success"...is it material wealth sort of "success" or simply the fact that they're committed to making changes in the world.

i think for the most part, most of the Southeast Asian community is striving to survive day by day before anything else.

but that's awesome that u truly represent and put forward a topic like this sleepy :)

noungning

Heartless
I need some sleep but but i will be back to reply some more.

I've just graduated. I'm not yet successful because there are many definitions to being successful. is it wealth, self-actualization, making a statement, being acknowledged, or simply just graduating?

i've graduated from bryant university, majored in business administration, concentration in management-focused on human resources, and minored in psychology.

to be continued dude..!

sl33py

sarNie Hatchling
Yeah you’re right, being successful for the Laos community is not necessary mean “education”. Being success mean to achieve, accomplish, or carry out, which could refer to different goals.
By brining out ones story, I believe it is a strong encouragement and inspiration for Kon Lao out there that currently battle to better themselves.

Maybe I am paranoid myself.. I seen numerous Chinese or Vietnamese becoming a doctor or an important person in the US; I just want to get our names out there. I hate seeing other race putting us down like a piece of shit.. especially in the red neck country!!

dfemc

sarNie Adult
sl33py said:
Yeah you’re right, being successful for the Laos community is not necessary mean “education”. Being success mean to achieve, accomplish, or carry out, which could refer to different goals.
By brining out ones story, I believe it is a strong encouragement and inspiration for Kon Lao out there that currently battle to better themselves.

Maybe I am paranoid myself.. I seen numerous Chinese or Vietnamese becoming a doctor or an important person in the US; I just want to get our names out there. I hate seeing other race putting us down like a piece of shit.. especially in the red neck country!!
[post="117126"][/post]​
yeah, you know what be awesome if ppl cared to contribute their own writing and perception of it all as Laotian-Americans to: otherasian.blogspot.com

n everyone can enjoy the compilation there. :)

noungning

Heartless
sl33py said:

[post="117126"][/post]​
i guess i'm quite young to be saying that i'm successful. because i don't feel that i've succeeded as of yet. it's like beginning a jigsaw puzzle... there are so many pieces to put together before we get a clear picture of something.

but also, i don't like comparing myself with other people, i guess i'm not quite a fighter as many would say, but i don't like putting others down to make myself feel better. additionally i don't like to do something so that i have to stick out in other people's eyes. it's true we live in a country with a majority of the ethnicity being caucasian, but we're also being out numbered with latinos, and when considering asians, they tend to first think of chinese americans because of their existence that over powers all of us. but to think china is the biggest asian country.

i mean, i'm not trying to defend or offend anyone, i have some chinese vietnamese in me, but i don't go out and say hey i'm this, this and this. i represent myself as a laotian american. and i guess i don't consider doctors, lawyers, and ceo's successful when they fail miserably in life.

if you want to be noticed, you don't have to have a degree...you just need respect. i guess a lot of laotians are fighting and focusing more towards earning a living and striving for financial stability, while the chinese and vietnamese have already gone thru these stages so they pave a great path for their children to grow up and have everthing they need not to worry about anything else but themselves and go to school for 12 years to become a doctor. or dedicate their lives to charity and so forth. everyones' lifestyle is so variant, there is possibly someone out there dedicating their life to helping the poverty and they're laotian...but they're not noticed. but really, do you do things to get recognation? i know that i do things because i want to. and i can careless if anyone does or doesn't give a hoot about what i'm doing, as longs as i'm doing it and it's bettering either my own life or someone else's.

maybe because i was born and raised here, i don't feel as much tension to want to be, or fight for my heritage to be pointed out and noticed. but it just drains me when someone does so much, and one person that is on the news and pointed out as a laotian gangster who murdered another person. this is a lot louder and noticed compared to that laotian doctor that saved more than 30 different lives.

i guess we'd get noticed in a short cut if one day a laotian runs for president... but take a look at how people are remembered... hitler-the guy who wanted to dominate the world by killing millions of innocent people. or someone like Pol Pot who everyone prays for the day he came to meet his ends because of what he's done to so many. but seriously can a laotian now go somewhere to discovery a new country? can someone laotian land on the moon? likely, but will they get as noticed, i don't think it'd make that much of a difference because they weren't the first.

being noticed, having a voice, i guess you need more than just one voice and one face... so it'd take a long long time.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
noungning said:
i guess i'm quite young to be saying that i'm successful. because i don't feel that i've succeeded as of yet. it's like beginning a jigsaw puzzle... there are so many pieces to put together before we get a clear picture of something.

but also, i don't like comparing myself with other people, i guess i'm not quite a fighter as many would say, but i don't like putting others down to make myself feel better. additionally i don't like to do something so that i have to stick out in other people's eyes. it's true we live in a country with a majority of the ethnicity being caucasian, but we're also being out numbered with latinos, and when considering asians, they tend to first think of chinese americans because of their existence that over powers all of us. but to think china is the biggest asian country.

i mean, i'm not trying to defend or offend anyone, i have some chinese vietnamese in me, but i don't go out and say hey i'm this, this and this. i represent myself as a laotian american. and i guess i don't consider doctors, lawyers, and ceo's successful when they fail miserably in life.

if you want to be noticed, you don't have to have a degree...you just need respect. i guess a lot of laotians are fighting and focusing more towards earning a living and striving for financial stability, while the chinese and vietnamese have already gone thru these stages so they pave a great path for their children to grow up and have everthing they need not to worry about anything else but themselves and go to school for 12 years to become a doctor. or dedicate their lives to charity and so forth. everyones' lifestyle is so variant, there is possibly someone out there dedicating their life to helping the poverty and they're laotian...but they're not noticed. but really, do you do things to get recognation? i know that i do things because i want to. and i can careless if anyone does or doesn't give a hoot about what i'm doing, as longs as i'm doing it and it's bettering either my own life or someone else's.

maybe because i was born and raised here, i don't feel as much tension to want to be, or fight for my heritage to be pointed out and noticed. but it just drains me when someone does so much, and one person that is on the news and pointed out as a laotian gangster who murdered another person. this is a lot louder and noticed compared to that laotian doctor that saved more than 30 different lives.

i guess we'd get noticed in a short cut if one day a laotian runs for president... but take a look at how people are remembered... hitler-the guy who wanted to dominate the world by killing millions of innocent people. or someone like Pol Pot who everyone prays for the day he came to meet his ends because of what he's done to so many. but seriously can a laotian now go somewhere to discovery a new country? can someone laotian land on the moon? likely, but will they get as noticed, i don't think it'd make that much of a difference because they weren't the first.

being noticed, having a voice, i guess you need more than just one voice and one face... so it'd take a long long time.
[post="117310"][/post]​
wurd ;) sista...

sl33py

sarNie Hatchling
noungning said:

[post="117310"][/post]​
<_< say what???? My reasoning to post up success story is not to "fight" or go against other races.. or to be noticeable to the whole world... just thought it would be nice to hear your own hertiage moving foward in the foreign country. I don't know how others feel, but it makes me feel good inside to see my own people/country scored A+.

Everyone is doing something to better themselves every second... some can be careless and some is not. Would it be nice to see numbers and numbers of your people on the billboard? I would .. but I don't know about you guys!!!

noungning

Heartless
sl33py said:
By brining out ones story, I believe it is a strong encouragement  and inspiration for Kon Lao out there that currently battle to better themselves.

[post="117126"][/post]​

sl33py said:
<_< say what????  My reasoning to post up success story is not to "fight" or go against other races.. or to be noticeable to the whole world... just thought it would be nice to hear your own hertiage moving foward in the foreign country. I don't know how others feel, but it makes me feel good inside to see my own people/country scored A+.

Everyone is doing something to better themselves every second... some can be careless and some is not. Would it be nice to see numbers and numbers of your people on the billboard? I would .. but I don't know about you guys!!!
[post="117550"][/post]​
no, i said what i've said because of your quote there... of course it'd be nice to see my people on the billboard. but if you want something to happen like that someone with real good ass talent needs to step up to the plate. but i'm just saying, yes i understand that lao people needs to be popular/noticed or whatever, but like white people, black people, spanish people, or chinese people...how long have they been around the US? white people okay, lets just say they were here from whenever they were... black people did the whole i have a dream and the speeches and the strikes, the demonstrations until they actually had a voice...spanish people... well they are just taking over. and since their popularity exceeds the numbers of laotians of course they'll stick out more than us and chinese people... they were the laborers that were brought to build trains for the whites and became slaves just like the blacks...and as for laotians...hmmm where were we? in our country... it will take more than just our generation to get noticed for anything. time time time is the only thing that can make people notice us as us. i mean at least some people knows that laos exist. though we'd have to say oh yeah it's next to thailand and cambodia, but eh! it's like saying hey i'm from rhode island, and people are like huh where the hell is that. it's the same crap. i know it'd be nice if i can say oh you're from laos, that's such a beautiful country with this and that, but the thing is you have to understand that laos is not industrialized like china, is not a travel destination like thailand, and doesn't have angelina jolee adopting kids from there, like cambodia. like i said, if you'd like to put laos on the map as much, someone needs to run for president and we'd definitely be someone... but it can also go the negative way when people says wow look at the laotian person running to be a presidential figure when they were basically all white. i know it's not like u're coming on here to bash anyone. but it's just my point of view.

being successful and getting noticed is wonderful, but there is such a long path. especially we are like a spec when compared to china as a whole. it's like spanish people. can you really tell who is puerto rican, dominican, cuban, venezuelan, or argentinian? so for them to decipher that you're laotian, not thai, cambodian, philippino, japanese, vietnamese, mien, hmong, or chinese. it's going to definitely take a long time.

definitely, hearing about others sucess stories brings about motivational behaviours that may lead you to attempt something to become successful some day. there are many successful laotian in my section, many are good business people, business owners, pharmacists, sales people, but i've yet seen a political/governmental laotian. but there may be some in like the bigger states like california. it's just so hard to determine really what is being sucessful...when to me at least. -_-

Reagan

sarNie Adult
if its of any help, I'm doing Bachelor of Computer Science, you wanna hook us up with a job? :w000t:

sl33py

sarNie Hatchling
noungning, thanks for your point of view.. i just read lines.. not the whole paragraph...i think i get your point..

Reagan, wooo hoooo ... :shocked: you go CS girl!!!.. I bet you hate staying up to write those codes... what language are you learning?
I know severals people in this field.. maybe I might be able to track job down for you.. but no promise. The company I work with is looking to hire at least 5 people in the IT department. My boss is seeking a web development who could program in .NET and severals java script to team up with me.... I'm not sure about level of experience, though. Since you are still doing your bachelor, you probably want to start off where you could work part time and go school at the same time...

soutsada7

sarNie Hatchling
Well, from your definiton of "success" I guess I can safely say that I'm not there yet, but definitely working really hard to get there ;) Graduating this semester from Cal (UC Berkeley, Ca) in Integrative Bio and will try to get into a nursing program this summer. Ultimately, I want to get into a med school, so yeah you can definitely say that I have "places to go and things to do", if you will :p I know I'll definitely be working my butt off just as I'm sure many of you are doing as well ;)

dfemc

sarNie Adult
soutsada7 said:
Well, from your definiton of "success" I guess I can safely say that I'm not there yet, but definitely working really hard to get there ;) Graduating this semester from Cal (UC Berkeley, Ca) in Integrative Bio and will try to get into a nursing program this summer. Ultimately, I want to get into a med school, so yeah you can definitely say that I have "places to go and things to do", if you will :p I know I'll definitely be working my butt off just as I'm sure many of you are doing as well ;)
[post="117871"][/post]​
go bears! ^_^

sl33py

sarNie Hatchling
soutsada7 said:
[post="117871"][/post]​
Good luck to you; I am positive that you’ll reach your goal… sounds like you have potential.

natty

Chubs
well if anyone bother to read the title and description.. she did state "Education".. so she's asking for success in term of education..

anyways... i have a friend whose family is very successful in term of education.. they're not full laos tho but more like laos vietnamese but laos last name. the oldest brother (him), graduated first in his hs class now has a phd in chemist from nyu... he's working at a research lab in connecticut researching for a cure in aids and cancer.. his brother, 3rd in his hs class, was a double major, last time i talked to him he was working as a chemist research and development for kodak... another cousin of theirs also on a full scholarship graduated 1st in her hs class, her major: general surgeon..

smart smart family.. so there are lots of laos as well as other nationality that are successful in education.. just take determination and a dream..