Lao Textiles in Luang Prabang

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
If you guys ever get a chance to visit Laos go visit Luang Prabang and learn some of lao art there. Our art is really amazing and should not be forgotten. It's sad that not alot of the new generation wants to learn and keep this treasure.

Here is a web that offers workshops to learn about Lao textile (weaving and dying from natural resources) in Luang Prabang. Great site! I"m sure they have a great program.
www.ockpoptok.com

There is also other art out there such as engraving and many others...

"Sometimes we overlook the great things we have."

My second trip to Laos I promised myself bring some knowledge back about the arts and shared it with the west. That way they will know more about our culture ^_^

Right now Laos is coming out of it's shell. Alot of countries are interested in this forgotten land............THE NAGA HAS BEEN AWAKEN!!!

Liberty

sarNie Adult
If you guys ever get a chance to visit Laos go visit Luang Prabang and learn some of lao art there. Our art is really amazing and should not be forgotten. It's sad that not alot of the new generation wants to learn and keep this treasure.

Here is a web that offers workshops to learn about Lao textile (weaving and dying from natural resources) in Luang Prabang. Great site! I"m sure they have a great program.
www.ockpoptok.com

There is also other art out there such as engraving and many others...

"Sometimes we overlook the great things we have."

My second trip to Laos I promised myself bring some knowledge back about the arts and shared it with the west. That way they will know more about our culture ^_^

Right now Laos is coming out of it's shell. Alot of countries are interested in this forgotten land............THE NAGA HAS BEEN AWAKEN!!!
I heard the silk is really good there. One of the well known Italy designer had his couch and curtains made from silk, imported from Laos. I think it was Versace, can't remember, I read about it in a Travel magazine. The writer of this article use to live in Laos (she was the daughter of an American soldier).

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
That's great. I'm hoping if we have a Laotian designer it would be even better. Yes the silk is definitely beautiful!!!!

dek_noy

sarNie Hatchling
luang prabang...i really wanna go there so bad!!!never been to laos before.and that's my dream to go there before i died.LOL

dek_noy

sarNie Hatchling
Yes you should visit the motherland at least once. Lollllll it's really fun ^_^
yes, i heard its really nice.
i saw pictures and some video clips from like the lao mv...and gosh,its so beautiful!!

dfemc

sarNie Adult
it is reeally beautiful. LP is where my mother grew up (going between there and ChiangMai). my grandma have made amazing textiles for the royal family during her time, though she originally came from Hongsa (ChiangMai). the patterns are very unique depending on the region ur from and the style of the maker/designer. to see the textile work and the genius that goes into it, is mindblowing. especially when a lot of these womyn are not formally educated, but yet u see this amazing skill that takes time to be mastered even by the educated mind, u can't help but want to purchase every piece that comes across you. hahha... i'll share some fotos of my time in the textile co-op while i was in LP, when i get the chance. and u all too, please share more.

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
it is reeally beautiful. LP is where my mother grew up (going between there and ChiangMai). my grandma have made amazing textiles for the royal family during her time, though she originally came from Hongsa (ChiangMai). the patterns are very unique depending on the region ur from and the style of the maker/designer. to see the textile work and the genius that goes into it, is mindblowing. especially when a lot of these womyn are not formally educated, but yet u see this amazing skill that takes time to be mastered even by the educated mind, u can't help but want to purchase every piece that comes across you. hahha... i'll share some fotos of my time in the textile co-op while i was in LP, when i get the chance. and u all too, please share more.

Yes, please do share with us. I'm very obsessed with Lao culture. I think it's quite intriguing. it has one of the most beautiful land, people and culture in the world!!! ^_^

I'm hoping to do business with them in the near future. That way I can visit the country often. LOlll ^_^

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
I heard from my dad that Luang Prabang got one of the prettiest girls in Laos .... but also greediest and selfish people there ...

If you ya think Luang Prabang is nice ... go down South .. toward Savannkhet, Pakse, Thakek ... Visit the cave and waterfall there. It's very beautiful. When I was in Laos .. didn't get a chance to visit but heard it was beautiful and all nature.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
I heard from my dad that Luang Prabang got one of the prettiest girls in Laos .... but also greediest and selfish people there ...

If you ya think Luang Prabang is nice ... go down South .. toward Savannkhet, Pakse, Thakek ... Visit the cave and waterfall there. It's very beautiful. When I was in Laos .. didn't get a chance to visit but heard it was beautiful and all nature.
I heard that many of the northern girls are greedy because they are more modern now. But, the south has some girls that are the same because they go to Thailand too much to work. Overall, I don't think it matters what region they're from, there's good people out there, and not everyone is greedy and selfish.

My aunt told me Luang Prabang is expensive. I think you can get similar silk products in Pakse for way less! Vientiene was expensive too. The south definitely has a lot of natural beauty. My aunt taped this one resort type place in Champasark that had bungalows and it looked so pretty from the video. And I myself have gone to Wat Pou and it's so pretty. Also, the store in Pakse seemed as big as the one in Vientiene, and most things were half price compared to the north. I got Pho for 50 cents instead of a dollar back in 2004.

Oops, off topic.

Silk is beautiful in Laos and there are designers in Laos, but they're expensive to pay them to make the clothing. It's like you buy the silk for 20+ and then you have to pay the designer and seamstress 50+ too when you can design your own thing in the US, and have somebody sew it for way less.