Khmer original modern songs

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
@patesserie, thanks for posting A HAI's video! I've listen to her song, but just the first few seconds and didn't take noticed of her voice. I agree she does have a well rounded nice voice. When it got to to the right notes, I thought her voice was going to break, but it didn't. I've been listening to her song on repeat after hearing the whole song. I like that she's a silent singer... Meaning I don't hear any breathing in her song. For example, Aok Sokunkanha is a noisy singer, IMHO. She's a good singer, but I just don't like listening to singers heavy breathing when they sing. I know it's hard to sing and I wouldn’t be able to sing to save my life so I give most singers kudos for their profession. I would love to hear you sing, BTW.

Last edited:

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
I feel like this song is s good responds to A HAI's song you posted up. Lol. I feel like they're singing to each other.

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
@patesserie, what happened to Rock Production?? I thought some of their songs were good. they were doing good with producing OG songs. I love Chomroeun's voice the most from there. Whatever happens to him?

Last edited:

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
I've been listing to A HAI's song on repeat too! Initially I thought hmm, her voice is a little 'tormada' sounding but after a second time I took notice of her unique tone. She sounds like no one in the industry which is a good thing because it makes her stand out a lot more. Haha you are honestly the very first person who has noticed Aok Sokun Kanha's breathing or shall a say, 'dongherm kley'. I've been saying that for years but no one seems to pay attention until I pointed it out. She's getting a lot better now.

TBH, I'm not exactly sure why Rock closed down. If I were to make a safe assumption, there was some drama and politics involved as the owner is Kit Meng's brother. I noticed right away that once they closed down, all the younger people from Rock production like Heap Radin, Soun Piseth, Sam Petey etc. all went to work with RHM whereas the older ones like Meas Bophea and Ork Samath went to CTN. As for Chamroeun,he took a hiatus from singing when Rock went out of business since he wanted to finish his BA. Now he just sings at Puzzles and Jet Star Pub. Its sad because Fay Samang actually created a production called Legend Tiger in 2015. He brought Heng Bunleap, Chamroeun, Ana and Raingsey (the girl I told you about in the other OST thread) to sing for his production yet he only came up with like 2 volumes and then suddenly quit. I guess Fay Samang no longer has the power and prestige like before to actually maintain a company on his own. Haha sure na. What song do you like to hear? Modern or Oldies?

Last edited:

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Hehe, I usually don't listen to singers when they have that 'dongheum Kley'. Yeah Sokunkanha has gotten better, but her voice just doesn't interest me. She can sing and hit the high notes for sure. I was searching on YT to see if there's any live performance from A HAI, but can't find any. Wonder if she has any other songs. I used to hear about Fay Samang back in the 90s, early 2000 about being the creator of some productions, but didn't know he was that powerful. There's so many productions out there so there's definitely competitions among the big companies. Phlng Production claimed to be producing "original songs", but some of the songs that came out wasn't. I thought Rock Production was showing big productions that's, but got crushed instead. Now, I heard that they're are enforcing "original songs" in srok Khmer. Hope these companies keep doing that cus I do see a big improvement on that.

I love listening to oldies and modern. Oldies gives me that feeling of nostalgic when growing up. My parents alway be playing oldies when on road trip. For modern, I always want to hear new lyrics and see improvement in Khmer music industry.

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
I've never been a fan of Kanha either. If I had to compare, I much prefer Meas Sok Sophea and Sokun Nisa over her. Sadly, A Hai isn't really promoted and therefore doesn't seem to ever appear on TV or various concerts. To be on TV, you have to pay the hosts and pretty much suck up to them or they'll never think to contact you. I was just on her FB page and she rarely updates but it seems like she's making a second part to Klach Kleat. I really wish I could help her in some way because we need to encourage and support our fellow young artists. Fay Samang used to be pretty powerful and I would say he's promoted/pushed the careers of many artists whether it's Prom Sivuthy to the current Preap Sovath, Yok Tith Rotha, Bun Sak and many others. Now all he does is produce a few movies/tv series and control Apsara channel. Generally there's a lot of competition in the music industry. Everyone wants to be a singer and all these productions are trying to outdo each other through their artists lol. Hmm honestly the only songs from Phleng that are original are the ones composed by Manith or Viraksith. Everything else, I would say 80% is copied from Thai and Chinese so their claims are ironic haha. Thankfully with the help of social media and facebook, there is more awareness to all copying that is done in Srok Khmer. I don't think the amount has decreased but there's an emergence of newer singers who are bringing in new ideas to the table. Hopefully that continues.

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
I like this song! It's chatcy and make me want to dance like the title 'Dance and Smile':cheer:
Cr: Town Production Official

Last edited:

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
Thanks for sharing Koy123! I haven't heard of it until you posted it here on the thread. The song has potential but the lyris could be better. Am I the only one who laughed when the words Facebook popped up? Lol. Gotta love the social media references in Khmer songs. I like Klach Kleat better as well.

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Thanks for sharing Koy123! I haven't heard of it until you posted it here on the thread. The song has potential but the lyris could be better. Am I the only one who laughed when the words Facebook popped up? Lol. Gotta love the social media references in Khmer songs. I like Klach Kleat better as well.
No problem, @patesserie. Haha, I don't like it when they use Facebook reference in songs and the word "songsa". Haha, people in srok Khmer is all about FB. I spoke to a relative from srok Khmer on the phone the other day, and she asked me of I have FB. Lol, I was speechless.

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
Lol! Srok Khmer is all about Facebook. It's funny once in a while but when every song talks about social media, it's a little much. Yes that's an original song. i double checked the credits and it says "Nipon Melody nerng Tomnok Jreang Daoy Yem Ta Srong". That probably explains why the lyrics are so bad haha. Yem Ta Srong is okay when he copies other songs because he usually just takes the rhyme pattern of the original but he doesn't have the capability of composing everything on his own.

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
@patesserie I like Vy Dyneth's live singing but not interested in her recording vocal. I did not know that she's Hour Lavy's daughter until I saw her in Killer Karaoke. She sings good tho
I don't really like the lyrics to this song. "When you kiss her, think of me"... Eh, me no likely. Lol
Is this an OG song?

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
Yeah she's Hour Lavy's youngest daughter with his second wife. I'm pretty sure that's an old Chinese song from the 1990's but I'll have to double check. Btw have you seen this?

Credits: Sabay TV.

Everyone in PP is going crazy for James Ji after his fan meeting. I'm quite impressed by his pronunciation. Heck, he speaks Khmer better than a lot of Khmer kids I hear these days lol.

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
@patesserie, No I haven't, but omg... I'm liking James J a lot more after seeing this. He's so cute! Thanks for sharing!
Your welcome! I'm watching all the fancams from the meeting on YT right now haha. He knows all the body parts, numbers and greeting in Khmer. So cute! I just dislike the MC's that they used. There are plenty of Khmer people who are more fluent in Thai and have the ability to translate from Khmer to Thai more accurately. Why the heck are they hiring Panhasith? I wouldn't want the Thais to look down on Khmer because of his history of plagiarizing Baitoey's songs.

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
I gotta go check out the videos. That's good, he's singing in Khmer. He is getting all the Khmer girls going crazy over him. Haha

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Here's a clear video of James J singing with Khmen Khmer group. He's so cute!
Cr: piphup komsan