Jail possible for Thai king insult

fan

sarNie Juvenile
bravo dynomite bravo....

its hard for people to get it

i had a friend who visited thailand (shes not thai at all) back in July and the celebration for the King was in full swing and people everywhere were wearing yellow shirts. she told me it was amazing to see and didnt think there would be that much respect. but there really is.... people love the King

i was at the hospital the same time the King was there for his surgery and hundreds of people were just sitting outside praying even when it started to rain. and even tho he wasnt in the best of health he would stand at the window and wave to everyone

there really is no other King out there like him and i dont think any other country loves their King the way Thai people love theirs

i think its something you need to see for youself to truly understand

darvil

sarNie Adult
To be honest, I don't think I would understand if I didn't grow up in Thailand.

The amount of respect the King wield is truly unbelievable.

To help those who don't completely understand, think of Mother Teresa for example. The King in Thailand is held in similar regard. And in many areas he might even be worthy for worship for some citizens.

Its hard for us to fully understand a culture.. and even more difficult to feel the culture.

I mean if you ask me.. I never understood some of the regulations of a country like Singapore for example..

But hey.. its their country.

numfon

sarNie Adult
He shouldnt even be punish at all.He was drunk.Plus is no big deal.President Bush got his photo painted and makefun of all the time even burn too.

Thailand is not land of free speech or willing?

Just a pictures.Plus ,he is not even Thai.
He say sorry should be enough.let it go.Shouldn't even take it to the court.

<confused>

lol that's funny. comparing Nai Luang to Bush is like.. God and Satan. :mellow:

it doesn't matter whether he's Thai or not. he lived in Thailand for more than 10 years.. he should know better.

anyway. that idiot's apology deffinately won't be enough.. but 75 years max. is also too much. they should just lock him in for at least a year and kick his ass out of the country afterwards.

.. also ..... is there a reason why there isn't any news about this on the thai newspaper website like www.manager.co.th ?

dfemc

sarNie Adult
To be honest, I don't think I would understand if I didn't grow up in Thailand.

The amount of respect the King wield is truly unbelievable.

To help those who don't completely understand, think of Mother Teresa for example. The King in Thailand is held in similar regard. And in many areas he might even be worthy for worship for some citizens.

Its hard for us to fully understand a culture.. and even more difficult to feel the culture.

I mean if you ask me.. I never understood some of the regulations of a country like Singapore for example..

But hey.. its their country.
so redundant...but touche..actually i prefer, "WURD, brutha!" :dude:

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
The sentence seems a bit harsh regardless of how severe this guy was considered to have disrespected the King.

STIMA

so jealous of the thai peoples king T_T
gosh, they shld understand that hes a dumb American and not make his sentence that bad. maybe ...20 years instead? o-o

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
so jealous of the thai peoples king T_T
gosh, they shld understand that hes a dumb American and not make his sentence that bad. maybe ...20 years instead? o-o
CORRECTION! If you read the news, then you would've known he is not dumb American, but rather he is a dumb Swiss man.

Anyway... do they really need to have him shackled up like that? Just handcuff would have be enough, no? Is not like he's a killer, rapist or violent person, nor will he cause any threat if he only have handcuff on. Geesss.
And WTH 75 years? I'll bet some of the killers and rapists in Thailand would only served few years in jail for their hideous crimes than this man. :unsure:
That said alot about how some life in Thailand is so meaningless unless you're from a privilege family.

sarahvang

sarNie Elites
75 years is alittle harsh maybe an little jail time only.... it's just vandalism... lol sure it wasn't nice of him to do that but damn 75 years lol thats ridiculous... totally... very unreasonable.

jthepsen

sarNie Hatchling
CORRECTION! If you read the news, then you would've known he is not dumb American, but rather he is a dumb Swiss man.

Anyway... do they really need to have him shackled up like that? Just handcuff would have be enough, no? Is not like he's a killer, rapist or violent person, nor will he cause any threat if he only have handcuff on. Geesss.
And WTH 75 years? I'll bet some of the killers and rapists in Thailand would only served few years in jail for their hideous crimes than this man. :unsure:
That said alot about how some life in Thailand is so meaningless unless you're from a privilege family.

That is soo true! I totally agree with you! Killers and rapists in Thailand proly do serve only a few years in jail. I did a report on human trafficking in Thailand a few years back, traffickers get a setence served in jain (ranges from about 3-8 years) while those trafficked and continue to prostitute are punished way longer. The injustice, hopefully the systems changed now.

rukD2B

Bai Yang [♥] Fong T. Xiong
I heard the that His Majesty wasn't happy about this situation.
But he can't do anything because it's the government that made this rule, not him.
Whoever this guy was, he probably wasn't so drunk to be able to do that...Other than crazy.
Why I wonder...

kumpangxruk

sarNie Adult
The king pardoned the Swiss man!! Link for article

HM the King pardons Swiss man jailed for royal insult

HM the King has pardoned a Swiss man who was sentenced to 10 years in prison last month for vandalising portraits of the monarch, prosecutors said Thursday.

"I have learned that he received a royal pardon a few days ago. Now he has been released but will be deported from Thailand," said Panu Kwanyuen, the provincial attorney general in the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Oliver Jufer, 57, had been sentenced to 10 years in prison on March 29 after pleading guilty to five counts of lese majeste -- the crime of offending the dignity of a sovereign.

He was convicted of defacing several portraits of the king with spray paint during a drunken spree in Chiang Mai in December.

A prison official in Chiang Mai said Jufer had been released on Tuesday. Thai court officials could not say if he had been deported yet.

Swiss embassy officials were not immediately reachable for comment.

Jufer is from Zurich but has lived mainly in Thailand for the last 10 years and has married a Thai woman, according to Thai authorities.

Security cameras videotaped him defacing the king's portraits on December 5, which is the monarch's birthday and a time of national celebration.

Thailand has been swept up in royal fever since the king's 60th anniversary on the throne in June last year.

The palace also became more prominent in Thai political life with a military coup in September, which was conducted with the king's apparent blessing.

The generals who staged the coup have repeatedly said that one of the reasons for ousting elected prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was because he had been "impolite" to the monarch.

But prosecutors last week dropped the lese majeste charges against Thaksin, although they chided him over the remarks.

Agence France Presse

-credits the nation-

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Couple days ago I was about to post that if the King is for peace and democracy he should pardon the man, but my computer got shut down, so I didn't get a chance to come back to post... so now I'm not surprise at all to see an article about the King pardoned the man. Is like his(the King) hands is tied because he have no choice but to pardon the man because if he didn't what would he looks like in the eyes of the World if he just turn blind eyes when he is after all the King and he have the power and right to pardon the man. If he let his peoples punished the man, his reputation would looks bad in the eyes of the World. LOL, so it all works out, the King get praise for his generosity. It's a win-win deals for the King.

noungning

Heartless
no, i don't think the reason why he did this was for his "reputation" - i don't think he has anyone to impress.