Internet Service Providers

jthepsen

sarNie Hatchling
Hey, any of you ppl know which internet service provider provides the fastest internet connection? You see, I'm currently signed up with Verizon DSL and it takes me a little over an hour to upload episodes that are more than 1 hour long. However, I sometimes use the computer at work and it only takes me like 5-10 minutes to upload the same amount of size. Too bad I don't know what kind of internet service the company I work for uses. Any replies is greatly appreciated. :wacko: ^_^

darvil

sarNie Adult
jthepsen said:
Hey, any of you ppl know which internet service provider provides the fastest internet connection? You see, I'm currently signed up with Verizon DSL and it takes me a little over an hour to upload episodes that are more than 1 hour long. However, I sometimes use the computer at work and it only takes me like 5-10 minutes to upload the same amount of size. Too bad I don't know what kind of internet service the company I work for uses. Any replies is greatly appreciated. :wacko: ^_^
[post="146411"][/post]​
First of all you can't compare the 2 places. There's no ISP that is going to give you that much speed. The time it takes you to upload depends on your upload speed. On a normal home connection they will limit that to a tiny percent of your download speed. When companies advertise that their connection is 3 MEGs, they normally don't mention the upload speed.. They normally just tell you the download speed so you can see why regular people can get confused by it.

I would guess and say your work place probably has a dedicated T1 so its upload speed is not capped at all. T1 = 10meg download and 10 meg download.

Normal home connection would be something like 3 meg download and 0.512 upload.

See the difference? The upload is 1/6th of the download speed. Much slower.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
well if u want fast uploads try cable net.. cable net uploads faster than dsl.. like mines i can upload a lakorn or movie that is about 1hour and 30 mins in 20 minutes...I mean not as fast as 10 minutes but hey it beats an hour right?

darvil

sarNie Adult
Amira said:
darvil, ur the MAN! but um...i want wireless, what do u suggest darv?
[post="146446"][/post]​
Do you have to get wireless? Like you live in the middle of nowhere? lol.. I don't like wireless... but if you have no choice I guess you gotta go with what you can get. I've looked at the directtv wireless thing (Hughes net I think). Comparing the prices.. you get less for the same amount of money. I suppose your best bet is to see the download/upload speed and the money and calculate the best value for your money.

Are you a big heavy downloader? or uploader? I think wireless might be a bit more controlling too.

Kina

Dubsteppin'
well, if i want to take my laptop elsewhere other than using it at home, then i would want wireless, no?

would dl's and upl's be faster with wireless?

jthepsen

sarNie Hatchling
THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR REPLIES...I USE WIRELESS WHEN IM AT SCHOOL, BUT I NEVER TRIED TO DOWNLOAD OR UPLOAD ANYTHING ON MY LAPTOP BEFORE. HMM...I SHOULD TRY, BUT SINCE MY DESKTOP BROKE...MY LAPTOP HAS BEEN MY DESKTOP/LAPTOP COMPTER WITH IRRITATING TANGLED WIRES STUCK IN IT.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
wireless works pretty awesome for uploads and downloads also.. its just like my cable net sometimes faster... but the thing is sometimes it sucks when u get disconnected while downloading or uploadin heheheh

tang071

sarNie Elites
i've been using wireless for a couple of years now and its pretty sweet. with my powerbook d/l speed has been faster than on my vaio i dunno if that has to do with anything. but yeah, no matter where i go in thailand, whether if its home, company or starbucks the internet is so damn slow.