I need help with a recipe!

infinite0216

sarNie Egg
I have a lot of Laos friends, and whenever they cook fish or chicken, they have this sauce this is extremely spicy.. it literally burns your tongue but it's so good that you just keep on eating it.

They told me it's called "gel" or "jel", atleast that's how it's pronounced but not sure if it's the proper spelling.

I know that the item has Thai Chilies in them and it's a clear liquid with the seeds floating around. At first taste, it's sweet/a little sour, but then right after the spicy kicks in and it burns. I'm pretty sure it also consists of lemon juice and some sugar for the first sweet and sour taste.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or can help me on making this on my own? Is it a special Laos item or do other cultures make the same thing and I should post in their section? Please let me know asap as I want to make some for tomorrow. If you need any more info, please ask and I'll try to answer/clarify.

Thanks.

saobomp

sarNie Adult
I have a lot of Laos friends, and whenever they cook fish or chicken, they have this sauce this is extremely spicy.. it literally burns your tongue but it's so good that you just keep on eating it.

They told me it's called "gel" or "jel", atleast that's how it's pronounced but not sure if it's the proper spelling.

I know that the item has Thai Chilies in them and it's a clear liquid with the seeds floating around. At first taste, it's sweet/a little sour, but then right after the spicy kicks in and it burns. I'm pretty sure it also consists of lemon juice and some sugar for the first sweet and sour taste.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or can help me on making this on my own? Is it a special Laos item or do other cultures make the same thing and I should post in their section? Please let me know asap as I want to make some for tomorrow. If you need any more info, please ask and I'll try to answer/clarify.

Thanks.
not sure if i'm late on responding. do you mean jeow som? if so then you can basically eat it with anything like steak, steam seafood, just with sticky rice?

fairly simple if it is: all depends on how much you plan to serve

-in a morta (koke and saug)
-add the chilly (fresh or frozen is fine) depends on how spicy you would like it and depends if the chilly is spicy(usually red ones look better)
-2-3 cloves of garlic peeled
-ginger slice (if u like)
-pinch of salt
-sugar (optional) i dont use it b/c it's call jeo som
-start mashing it with the saug in the kok
-once it's all smashed into pieces add fish sauce enough for it to float but not over where it's too water
-add lime (should be sour) if the pepper is not very spicy too much fish sauce will make it salty (keme)
-msg (if u like)
-cut up a couple of cilantro for garnishment (optional)

-stir it and then taste