hurricane ike

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
yea so i notice there wasn't a post for this so i thought i might as well start one bc i know there are some of us sarnies from texas(tina, miz and others...)

anyway im from houston texas to be specific im in harris county man i woke up at 1:30 am in the morning of saturday and the wind was howling lights were out omg it was scary bc i was on top floor of my apartment lol my window got shattered i guess i got lucky because the roof got blown off of one of my neighbors apartment. my parents house had a tree fall partway on it so we basically came to my granny house to stay for 2 days and finally got lights and internet back on sunday afternoon. lol my granny lucky she got her lights back on earlier than most ppl in harris county

so share your experience if your from texas with this hurricane or if your not from texas how about telling us wat media outside of texas is saying about it or stories about ppl u know here

LidoLynn

ThE GrEaT gReAt LyNn!!
wow..genkers..that sound scary!...... when ur alone too! :eek:

i have never experience anything like hurricane before and i hope i wont ever!...

anywase, i wonder how these ppl make up names for all these hurricane??...hehe its kind of like "hey, lets call this hurricane this name and that hurricane that name!"...LOL

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
lol ike sounds like the cambodian word for shit my sister kept saying " we got hit by shit and now we look like shit" haha

thuynmt

sarNie Fansubber
wow..genkers..that sound scary!...... when ur alone too!

i have never experience anything like hurricane before and i hope i wont ever!...

anywase, i wonder how these ppl make up names for all these hurricane??...hehe its kind of like "hey, lets call this hurricane this name and that hurricane that name!"...LOL
They used Greek names for hurricanes. Basically, it's in alphabetical order. A, B, C . . . etc. Just like how Gustav, H . . . (whatever hurricane that appeared after Gustav) , then Ike. The next one that'll appear in anywhere in the world will be called something like J___ and so on.

Well, I never have experience those kind of natural disasters problems. To me, I used to think ignorantly of how it'll be excited to move to another place since I never left Georgia or visit any state in my life. :lol: Thank goodness nothing happened to you or your family, genkers. Welcome back to SarNworld.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I live in the Galleria area and we were lucky.
My apartment complex faired well, except for a few who were located near trees. My area has an open court yard with a pool but no trees so I was lucky and nothing was broken.

My car alarm kept going off during the night though, it was that windy.
It sounded like the cover area of our parking lot wanted to rip open it was so windy. I heard glass breaking but it was coming for an apartment a few doors down.
I had a hard time sleeping though because the power went out late Friday night and it got hot really fast.
I was planning to just stay and wait it out but I woke up Saturday afternoon and was told that the power wouldn't be back on for maybe weeks so my boyfriend and I left. I dropped him off at his mom's place in San Antonio and I'm staying in Austin with my parents.
I won't be heading back until probably Saturday.
On the way out I did see a lot of damage and flooding.
I have a friend who lives in the Clear Lake area that got a lot of water, I hope he's okay, haven't talked to him in months.

But yeah, it was strange. The first I stayed for a hurricane. It sounded like there was an ocean outside and then at one point I heard something that sounded like a train.
Trying to find a gas station with gas was a pain in the butt.

As for the hurrican names. They go alphabetically and it's not Greek names. Ike, Gustav and Hanna aren't of Greek origins. I don't know about Ike, but Gustav is of Swedish origin and Hanna is of Hebrew origin.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Just a little rain in my end ^___-" afterall I am from Dallas Genky :p or have you forgotten that? ^__-" it rained for like 10 hours and the next morning bright and sunny lmao. And glad to hear you guys are ok ^__-" take care of yourselves

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
Just a little rain in my end ^___-" afterall I am from Dallas Genky :p or have you forgotten that? ^__-" it rained for like 10 hours and the next morning bright and sunny lmao. And glad to hear you guys are ok ^__-" take care of yourselves
lol tina i didn't forget i listed name of a few people i knew that lived in texas in parenthesise on my first post oh and liberty i think around the galleria was one of the areas that got their electricity back quick it didn't take that long i mean they must have if the galleria opened up on sunday at its normal business hours

Liberty

sarNie Adult
lol tina i didn't forget i listed name of a few people i knew that lived in texas in parenthesise on my first post oh and liberty i think around the galleria was one of the areas that got their electricity back quick it didn't take that long i mean they must have if the galleria opened up on sunday at its normal business hours
Really?
I called my apartment complex and they said the power is still out there.
It's probably because it's a business, that's why it's opened but they still have a curfew thing going on. It's the same with school, they close down everything at 7:30pm. Nothing does more damage to the city's economy than losing money, especially at a time like this.

But yeah, I called my apartment complex this evening and they told me that the power is still out so I'm staying put until Saturday, unless it comes back on earlier. They have water, so that's good.

It was strange because my bf's friend lives in the Bellaire area and their power went out early Friday but came back on Saturday. The city says it's because some neighborhoods have an underground backup generator, that's why some areas got their electricity back up so quickly.
My place kept coming off and on several times Friday before it went out completely.

ETA: I just checked the site. It says the Galleria is only opened til 6pm because of the curfew.
I doubt many people will be doing much shopping, especially if you house, car, etc. has been damaged. But they're opened to those that need relief and still haven't gotten their power back on yet.

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
lol i think lots of people will be in the galleria jsut for the heck of it so they have something to do i know the willowbrook mall was opened yesterday and it was jammed pack

Liberty

sarNie Adult
If it's not on by the time I get back I'll probably just hang out at the Galleria for the air. lol
Or hang out at school, the power is back on over there.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Ughh this brought back memories from 2004. In Florida, in a span of 3 months, we had Charley, Ivan, Jeane, and Frances. My power and cell phone was out most of the summer. And many trees, shrubs, and phone poles were down too.

Hope eveyone is safe!

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
thanked god, im so glad you guys are all safe and sound!!!..i still need to call my cousins in tx too..they arent that far from you tina..so they are prolly ok??

...i havent checked with my mom..since shes always calling or sister or vice versa..

lol genkers wth!..ike..as in shiat..i didnt think of it that way til you mention it..

i know i saw some of the after pics of the hurricane..it wasnt a pretty sight! :(

oh ps..i thought those names were named after the person who discovers it?!

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
lol i don't think you really "air quote" discover a hurricane "air quote" i mean you can see when its forming but not like discoverign it as in discovering a star and naming it after urself