How your parents nickname you?

Vanndii

sarNie Adult
How do your parents or people nickname you? Does it have to have a meaning?

I have three nicknames. SreyTouch: in Khmer meaning "little girl", Vanndii : in Thai meaning "Good day", Grace: in English (for Christians) meaning "the kindness of God". I love the three names and they are really meaningful.

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
That's interesting Vanndii. ^_^ My parents call me Noy. It means small or little in lao. & my english name is Sornmany. I don't know what it means so don't ask. :lol: My bestest calls me Sukiie, because 'i'm asian' lmao. i miss him.

fun

Expired Sarnie
i had an identity crisis once. lmao it still exist today. the last year of high school, i had to changed my name to my real name [confusing?]. i went to the office and told them. funny thing was that julie was not in any of my legal document but i had that name ever since, hmmm... i cant even remember. the secretary was like how did you get away with the name julie all throughout your school years.

oh funny thing, i had class with a high school classmate and she said hi, julie. i didnt answer her back but i smiled since the instructor began the role call. and that was the very day of class college instructor has to do role call during the first week. anyways we didnt talk much and so when the instructor called my name [not julie] she looked at me and later whispered, you're not julie. i laughed so hard and finally told her about my name situation.

another thing, my friends has an hour break so they sent me to class so they kept calling me julie, so one day the instructor came up to me and dismissed me out of the class and said that i was in very big trouble. so he started lecturing me about my consequences for going to class for another person. and i went to the office and clarified with them. oh i am just crying tears of laughter and this happens every time i tell people about this.

Vanndii

sarNie Adult
I got almost the same problem like yours, but my case was with my birthdate. I remember that after i began my highschool, I had to learn doing things myself. I tried to deal with school documents by myself since I wanted to be mature and independent. All documents I sent to school were filled with wrong birthdate. I kept repeating the wrong birthday without realizing it till I got my high school degree and showed it to my father. He was so surprised and thought that the administration made mistake. I got a year and eight months older than my actual age.

How stupid am I? Just being older than the actual age was not the real problem, the real big problem was that my father had to take months to deal with the local administration to change my birthdate in the family book and ..... :(

nina07

sarNie Adult
well, my real name is Adaline. But everybody calls me Nina at home, and at school they call me by my first name :)

I dont know why my parents named me that their weird. haha.

But my brother's nickname is Buk Ai and it means Mr.Brother in lao. haha. its so funny :lol:

fun

Expired Sarnie
I got almost the same problem like yours, but my case was with my birthdate. I remember that after i began my highschool, I had to learn doing things myself. I tried to deal with school documents by myself since I wanted to be mature and independent. All documents I sent to school were filled with wrong birthdate. I kept repeating the wrong birthday without realizing it till I got my high school degree and showed it to my father. He was so surprised and thought that the administration made mistake. I got a year and eight months older than my actual age.

How stupid am I? Just being older than the actual age was not the real problem, the real big problem was that my father had to take months to deal with the local administration to change my birthdate in the family book and ..... :(
you couldnt change your bday. in my situation i dont know where julie came in. it just happen to appear when my legal name is not even julie. lmao. my dad lectured me how stupid i was, but i was like hey like i did the paper work when i first started school. my aunt tells me to go to court and change my name but i thought it would be a nice story to tell my kids[if i ever have any lol]. i hate my name though, maiko but lately i learned to appreciate it. hahaha my sister name is dorcy. lmao i am glad i didnt have that name. my other sister is name chrissy but everyone other than our family calls her christy and she hates it when ppl call her christy. my other sister has a common name sandy. hahaha to think of it she has a bland name when compare it to the rest of my siblings name. hahahaha.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
my parents didnt give me a nickname, but my relatives like calling me chewy...lol cuz it goes with my name Chou which sounds like chew

judyp

sarNie Adult
everyone calls me judy because thats my middle name. my first name has too many vowels and is too complicating for people to pronounce. :)

darvil

sarNie Adult
I was borned during the Sokran festival. In Burma the same festival is called Tha Jung. So one of my nickname given to me by my relatives was Po Tha Jung.

What was odd was during this trip I recently had, the people at the NGO office started started calling me Po Tha Jung. I don't know how that name got around but it was rather odd hearing it from people you don't know well.

raymond_obsessed

Just plain obsessed
Since I was born in Thailand...and my skin is darker than my siblings, my mom calls me "kapeek" in Khmer...it's some kind of paste...I don't know what it's called in English though

XCappy

Mr. Char
About my parents, since my chinese name is Xun Tong, my mom calls me Xiao (Little) Tong. My dad calls me Ti (Something like Son in Teochew).

ChenrukNote

Goddess
My parents, grandma, uncle, and aunts call me Thoo because since I was first born, my older sister called me Thoo when she first saw me since I was a chubby baby lol. And my siblings/friends/co-workers call me Nai ( it means second oldest in mien) or Nin.

Athena

sarNie Juvenile
I'm the oldest out of 9 kids. My nickname is Nhay (big in Laos) and close friends of the family who knew
me since I was a babe call me Tum (I had a flat bridge nose). Now I have grown into my body.
Asian people ask me how much I paid for nose surgery. I tell it was free since birth.
I was born in Thailand on a Buddhist day. So my name ends in sinh.

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
Since I was born in Thailand...and my skin is darker than my siblings, my mom calls me "kapeek" in Khmer...it's some kind of paste...I don't know what it's called in English though

LOL missy...that is indeed shrimp paste OMG..thats funny (sorry) wow ..

k my parents gave me a weird nickname too.."kmao" ..hmmm am i that dark??..it literally mean black(see dum) lol..they call me that and i throw it back at them.."youre not that much lighter than me"...i also have other family friends/elders call me "ka-na" heck if i know what the mean or if it even have a meaning to it. hmmm i havent seen him in a while.. so i havent heard of that name for awhile as well.

my childhoold friend calls me "na" the last two letters in my real name.. i too havent seen her in a while ...gosh adult life sucks...i havent seen any of my friends for so long now!

KristyS

Lakorn Obsesser
Well... My name ic Christina, so they call me A'Na... The reason is because they got the "Na" from Christina lol As simple as that.