How your parents nickname you?

Vanndii

sarNie Adult
i jus have one nickname wich is buk thuy wich means fat boy cuz i used too eat alot when i was little lol
Well, some Cambodians call their healthy child as A Chrouk meaning Pig. It might refer to some fat (maybe too healthy -_- ), chinese look (their light skin) children.

Some Thais are named Miew, the typical sound of a cat. That sound funny na.

In Cambodia, there is an old superstition or belief that people including parents should not call just-born or little children with good or cute name or even admiration to the children's look thought to be forbidden. They think that if people or parents admire their children, those children would not live a long life since the ghost/spirit would want those children too or they would meet bad luck.

How about in other countries like Thailand (I have heard about that too, it might be very similar), Loas, Burma, Japan, Korea or China?

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
Well, some Cambodians call their healthy child as A Chrouk meaning Pig. It might refer to some fat (maybe too healthy -_- ), chinese look (their light skin) children.

Some Thais are named Miew, the typical sound of a cat. That sound funny na.

In Cambodia, there is an old superstition or belief that people including parents should not call just-born or little children with good or cute name or even admiration to the children's look thought to be forbidden. They think that if people or parents admire their children, those children would not live a long life since the ghost/spirit would want those children too or they would meet bad luck.

How about in other countries like Thailand (I have heard about that too, it might be very similar), Loas, Burma, Japan, Korea or China?
ahh yes youre right it is...gosh...so am i like supposed to like my nickname..kmao
(thinking that my parents are just being on the cautious side) :rolleyes: LMAO

skies

sarNie Adult
well, my mom calls me "moe mee" which literally translates to cat... i don't know why but she just calls me that....

Jane

sarNie Hatchling
well my american name is jane but a couple of the adults in my life still calls me '"bonk" and my mom calls me "moo" or "thon" which means pig. i'm a little chunky, but i'm losing weight and i asked her when i get skinny, will she continue to call me that. I don't like it. my friend who's cambodian, her mom calls her pig in khmer too, even though she's lost a lot of weight, her mom still calls her that, so i think that the name will stick with me too.

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
awww i know where we got all these names calling from...its from our parents... <_<

it started as a nickname.. hmmm reminds me of my 7 yr old niece..

the other day she was really upset..cause shes a pretty big girl for her age..and as far as i can remember she was always like born big boned..she got the genes from both her dad and mother side (im her mother's older sis btw)..

there was actually a lil more to this story than the name calling but it still had something to do with the nickname...so i will share it anyways..

a funny lil nickname..lead to her hurt feelings..we called her ka-map..which is "fat" ...the poor kid was crying..(not cause of me on that day anyways..and after what i witnessed i dont think i will call her that anymore)

she was hungry and was circling the kitchen table looking for munchies...my parents said some stuff to her (dont know what they said cause i didnt hear them..all i heard was the chair falling and my dad got mad and told her to go to the room while she was defending herself saying she didnt knock the chair down intentionally) and i think they said the "fat" word also..so she started ballin..ran to the room and locked herself in there..the sound of her crying made my heart ache so badly, i knocked on the door to try to get her to open it but only to get a "go away & leave me alone" reply...i pleaded for her to open the door but she kept saying the same thing...and after it hurted me deeply when she said.. "nobody cares bout me..nobody loves me...and why should i care bout or love anybody else?" gosh to hear that from a 7 yr and esp from her was shocking...so i had to do something. i got the spare key from one of the drawer in the hallway and unlocked it. right when i open the door she yelled at me to leave her alone again..but then of course i did all i can to comfort her...trying to calm her..and stuff...i told her...dont worry bout what other ppl think bout you..i love you ..i love you no matter how you look ok.. thats all that matter..

she was trying to talk to me between her sob and her hand gestures was trying to show me that it hurt her deeply while pointing to her chest..my poor baby!!!! .. :(

she finally calmed down after a few comforting word.of course i shed some tears..*sniff saying it to her and ask her to join me for a walk outside to clear our minds and get some fresh air.. 10 mins later she was a happy kid again...cause right when we went outside i sat down on one of the lawn chairs..and we sat down and chit chatted some more..talking bout mosquitoes..and stuff ..yep anything to get her mind off of what had just happen in the house.

k so the moral of this is ..

the names might sound funny to us in the beginning or at times..but it will eventually hurt the person who got stuck with that name.. i hope none of this happen to any of you or anyone you know...

i forgot to mention during the comforting time..i hugged and kissed her countless time... :)

Grudgeprincess

JLR FEVER
my name is Sala but thai people pronouce it one way and then Viet people prounounce it another way but my white friend (LMFAO) say it as Saw-la but my thai nickname is Em for baybee i guess or sometimes they say Em Beh haahh well now its Khun Ying :D

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
LOL sala...khun ying..alai mai roo... jk! :lol:

p' rak khun ying kon nee mahk ka :wub:

woohoo i see that you got your internet back???

Muddie Murda

smile...
*bringing this topic back to life because it's cool! Plus, we have so many new members*

Growing up, I had the nickname "By" pronounced "Bee" with a high tone. Like how a kid would pronounce, "Baby." I was the baby at the time, so my brother called me "baby." They later shortened it to just "By."

Everytime we have a guest that we haven't seen since we were young, my mom would always be like, "That's By!" And they give me that ugly eye that could only mean, "Ugh, you turned out like THAT?" hahahahaha jk

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Pffbt~ I don't consider this name 'Cat' as nickname because it only shorten my name 'Catheryne'. It always is used by my family relatives while 'Cathy' was for friends' til my junior year, they changed it to 'Cat' dues to many "C" name hand-signature among of my classmates that confused my English teacher, lol (by the way, I'm deaf if you wonder). :)

Most of time, my friends' relatives would call me 'Kat' through text messages or via emails although it looks/sounds exactly same, anyway. Even you guys, still call me because of this 'kitkat' but oh well. :lol:

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
when I was little, they used to call me "ee noo." referring to a cute little mouse, but now... they call me "ee moo," meaning fat pig. :(

nikki1786

LizQuen
my mom got it from my name... my name came from my grandmothers (both sides of my father and mother). my dad's mother's name is Mary, while with mom's mother is Dominica.

Mary Dominique--> NIKKI

if she's mad at me... she'll call me Nikkay~! or Dominica~! (as in shouting at me like with that)

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Lol I never really had a nick name because my name is _________ ____________ ___________ _______tina they just called me Tina LOL ^___-" but when I turned about 5-7 they started calling me Khoon Nou because I was real bratty but it was mainly to make fun of me sarcastically just a joke type deal lol because they thought I was high maintenance. I don't see why because when I was little I was jumping fences in skirts and playing in dirt all the stuff little boys use to do :lol: but they thought I was a good kid so they called me wan jai sometimes ... some people thought wan jai was my name so they just called me "jai" LOL which is a typical lao nickname.... until I was like 12 many of my friends thought my name was jai =/ LOL but at the same time thats how I got my member name "KhoonxNouxWanxJai"

O' Childhood how I miss thy,

Katerine

Butterfly123
MY mum and dad just get call by my real name Katerine (My name was a accient after birth was ment to be called Kathryn but got Katerine), by my sibling i get called Katrina ( You would think you would know my real name but i guess not :rolleyes: ) and by my friend i get called Kitkat or Smilely coz i'm alway happy

kitkat

sarNie Elites
^
lol, many people tend to make a spell mistake for my name because they often write it 'Catherine' when it's supposed to be 'Catheryne' but they came up with an excuse saying it's the same! Yes, it does but again, if they want to write my name, then put my real name. :rolleyes:

Ah~ cool, one of my closest cousins also calls me 'kitkat', too. ^_^

Katerine

Butterfly123
^
lol, many people tend to make a spell mistake for my name because they often write it 'Catherine' when it's supposed to be 'Catheryne' but they came up with an excuse saying it's the same! Yes, it does but again, if they want to write my name, then put my real name. :rolleyes:

Ah~ cool, one of my closest cousins also calls me 'kitkat', too. ^_^
lol yeh it get boring after a while when you tell people how to spell your name or say it i just go my name's spelt the way it sound but with an e at the end and is said the way it spelt but you don't say the e at the end lol i understand if i've never meet the person before but god family and friend should know lol

well, my first name is Giannina, so my mother likes to call me Na or Nina, but my dad has always called me Gigi ever since i could remember, so it has kind of stuck; my bf calls me that too, so...

kitkat

sarNie Elites
lol yeh it get boring after a while when you tell people how to spell your name or say it i just go my name's spelt the way it sound but with an e at the end and is said the way it spelt but you don't say the e at the end lol i understand if i've never meet the person before but god family and friend should know lol
I know! That's why I always introduce 'em myself as 'Cat' unless they ask for a real name. :lol: Only thing I get annoyed is, they asked me why I have that nickname, they thought that it's just because I like the cats which it's not. -_-

Katerine

Butterfly123
I know! That's why I always introduce 'em myself as 'Cat' instead so I don't bother telling 'em to correct my name unless they ask for a real name. :lol: Only thing I get annoyed is, they asked me why I have that nickname, they thought that it's just because I like the cats which it's not. -_-
lol that what i do introduce myself as Kat but people alway say do i like cats :rolleyes: it like read the first letters of my name lol and your see the nickname lol but my friends dad who's know me for years always makes a cat sound when i see him for a lame :rolleyes: but i think it bugs me more now with like friend and family then it did w years ago lol