How to install/display thai fonts using WINAMP TUTORIAL

dedeman

Dedeman - ดีดีแมน
I noticed that some people cannot open Rar files that I uploaded in the music section as they are all using Thai fonts so decided to start this little HOWTO explaining every step.

Install Thai Fonts in Windows XP:

http://www.jjmb.nl/shared/thaifonts.zip

UnRar this file with Winrar/WinZip (Please check Dynomite Thread on how to open it).

In your Windows XP ---> click on start
Open Control Panel
Open Fonts
Select File -> Install new Font…
Browse to the directory where you unpacked the Thai fonts
Press Select All
Press OK

Adjust font for playlist in WINAMP

Open Winamp Preferences
Select Playlist
Uncheck Use skin or language pack font
Select one of the thai font you installed in step 1

Adjust the Playlist font size, in pixel to your liking

You are finished, The resulting display:

XCappy

Mr. Char
Thanks for this tuto Dedeman :)

Something is weird with me, I can read (well, not really read, just see) thai fonts in the *.rar like this : "�อม เสาวลั�ษณ์ - บันทึ�ของดอ�ไม้เหล็�", but sometimes I have some titles with : "¨Ø±ÒÃѵ¹ì �ѵ¶Ò¡Ã (Ë���é�Â)".

But it still readable, because I'm listening it at the moment. But no worry, I always copy/paste the thai playlist with karaoke font in my note and rename it after ;).

dedeman

Dedeman - ดีดีแมน
Xcappy, you mean the titles of the songs in the view file info windows showing "¨Ø±ÒÃѵ¹ì �ѵ¶Ò¡Ã (Ë���é�Â)". That is normal, It is only viewable from Windows XP but in Thai language version, I'm using both Windows Xp standard version and Windows XP thai, I sometimes switch from one to another operating system depending on what I need to do. This tuto is, basically, for Windows all standard Version excepted for Windows XP thai (thai fonts pack already included in the native version).

dede

[[LiDooL_aNjOoL]]

sarNie Elites
heys dedeman
thanks for ur tutorial :)

but how come on the thai font wont appear on the main window ? =/
i was wondering if you know why .. :lmao:

dedeman

Dedeman - ดีดีแมน
yeah it's because I'm using Winamp version 5.093. I did not check the other versions. Some bugs may block displaying thai fonts from the main window depending on your Winamp version, try and use other Thai fonts to see if it's Ok but I doubt on this.

Whatever, I see on your pix that you can display both romanized and thai fonts, that's the most important.

Dede

rukD2B

Bai Yang [♥] Fong T. Xiong
Dede, do you know how I can use the same function for WMP?
Just wondering. ^__^

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
thank you!
that was fun.
yah, just like [[LiDooL_aNjOoL]],
the main title aint showing the title.

that bugs me a lot.
i guess it's just me.
but.. thank you!
that was fun!
and i can practice using those thai text!
thanks!

dedeman

Dedeman - ดีดีแมน
You're welcome !!! Miss sati :D , hope this little how-to can ease sarnies members life.

dede

SokLaHote

sarNie Adult
Dede, I still can not open any of the zip or rar files even after I installed the thai fonts. Don't know if it's because of the program I use to unzip or not. I use PowerZip. Also, I'm using Window Vista. Any suggestions?

XCappy

Mr. Char
Dede, I still can not open any of the zip or rar files even after I installed the thai fonts. Don't know if it's because of the program I use to unzip or not. I use PowerZip. Also, I'm using Window Vista. Any suggestions?
Try it with WinRAR.

darvil

sarNie Adult
like cappy said.. use winrar

Thai font has nothing to do with your inability to open rar files or not. You're just using the wrong software.

XCappy

Mr. Char
Yes, but WinRAR can do it also. Just use one software, instead of a lot just because the extension isn't the same. WinRAR supports *.rar, *.zip, *.iso (and so on...)

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
dedeman, come to my rescue!!!

i need help.
the asian fonts are show well on the scrolling title bar, thingy.
but not on the player.

see it???
any ideas????
if not, thanks anyways. it's okay.
THANKS!

XCappy

Mr. Char
That's a weird affair, all my fonts are showing in winamp, playlist + player (Chinese, Thai, Korean, Japanese). I just have a virtual Chinese and Thai keyboards. I don't know if it can help you to show these fonts. Or, instead of choosing MS sans serif, just let the default fonts : Arial.

I tend also to wonder if it might be a skin issue ? Because I haven't the default winamp skin.

Edit : Here are my settings (I think it's quite the same for everyone, I didn't change anything) :

I wonder also if there is a lack of fonts, even if Dede has post up a large selection.
I thought about something : Just go to a Chinese site, a Korean site, and if they don't show the fonts, automatically they'll ask you to install the Chinese or Korean fonts. Just click "ok".

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
THANK YOU XCappy !!!!

i think IT IS a skin problem.
because when i changed back to the classic skin, the writings show.
my laptop has korean, chinese, and thai language font.
i just dont know what's wrong with winamp.

ah ya.
i guess i'll just leave things the way it is.
i dont want to end up messing things more.
this is stressing me crazy. :)

THANKS!!