Hmong's Tales and Stories

Muddie Murda

smile...
For some reason, when Hmong tell their ghost stories of events that happens, it's quite exciting and scary at the same time!
It might be because most Hmong parents and grandparents had lived in the jungle in their younger days and a lot of events occur there.

It might also be because of the Shamanism religion that is practice by a majority of the Hmong people. I never really understood or know much about this religion. When I got older, folks who believe in Shamanism or those who have attended ceremonies would tell stories of what happened and sometimes refer to them as "black magic." I found it so fascinating but I have never seen it with my own eyes. Then I got a chance to visit a friend who is a Shaman. It was the first time I saw something unexplainable happen and it freaked me out! :nailbiter: I'm like, "WHO DID I BEFRIEND??!?!" (LOL jk jk we're still best friends) Anyways, yes, it was an entirely small event that happened but it totally confirmed stories I've heard and it does happen.

Do you have a story that was told to you by parents or elder relatives you'd like to share? It can be anything from ghost stories to legends. Or sad stories to amazing stories. :D Do tell! (No bad gossip though :p)

Muddie Murda

smile...
omg... muddie is hmong....=) :yes:
I haven't seen you in so long and you jump at me with this hahaha
I haven't claimed anything yet lol still Asian. Just that I have a lot of Hmong friends who tell me stories not to mention the fact that I hang out in the Hmong section too haha :D

My shaman friends tell me crazy stuff too :p Hanging out with her is always risky -_- lol "A ghost spirit followed my nephew into the house. I saw it as we were walking out." OMG I DON'T WANT TO KNOW~!!! Not at that time atleast lol

well..i heard about Tigers coming to get you and stuff.
I only heard Hmong people's legend of people turning into tigers forms, etc.

LidoLynn

ThE GrEaT gReAt LyNn!!
im still around....alot in the arcade....im trying to beat my old scores but cant seem to. :scratchhead2:

love the arcade..

rainie_vang

sarNie Juvenile
Yeah, also heard a lot of stories...
but they're too long to tell..
..Like especially at funerals and
about the two 10&12 year old cousins
in BANNING,CA.

I heard many stories about funerals,
but for some reason I'm not scared.
Lol... Like, i would to to the restroom
by myself and I wouldn't be scared.
After the experience at my grandpa's
funeral, every story about ghosts seems
fake to me... I spent my whole
weekend at the funeral sleeping there
and everything, and I didn't see a single
thing!!! I looked at my grandpa the
whole time, nothing happened. I even
held his hands... nothing happened!
nothing happened!!!!! There's nothing there!

yaksoh

sarNie Juvenile
in BANNING,CA.

can u tell me about the two cousins' story
i never heard of it

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
in BANNING,CA.

Would you tell me about the story in Banning, CA? I use to live in Banning. I think I might know them.

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
Well, I have some to share. It happen long ago when my parents still live with my grandpa them back in laos. My grandpa is not scare of anything and he know how to ua neej thiab. My grandpa will go to places alone all the time, hunting, etc. Oneday my grandpa went to their farm alone ahead to prep the cutting of the crops so that tomorrow my parent and grandma will follow him to the farm to help work on the crops. It was almost dark and my grandpa was tired. He was tired only, not sleepy. He decided to lay down on the bed in the house at the farm. He was still awake but just tired. He heard the corn and crop field swiveling and then it stop. Then my grandpa feels kinda sleepy, his eyes were tired. And then there it came, through the door and came sit right next to my grandpa. My grandpa knew it was not a human. My grandpa describe to my parent them that that thing has long hair, dress in hmong torn clothing. A male indeed. His face is reddish and his teeth are shown. They are red he describe, and that thing is tall. My grandpa was feeling weaker and weaker at that time. My grandpa has the hmong bucket where hmong always carried when they go work on their farm above the pillow. In the bucket is the swivel knife that he use to cut crops. My grandpa tried to reach for the swivel knife in the bucket and that thing was just sitting there. My grandpa was scare and feeling really weak so he said his ua neej words and gain his strength and was able to reach for the swivel knife and swing it at that thing. That thing stood up and ran out the door. My grandpa heard the corn and crops swiveling back and forth. At this time it was dark already and my grandpa have feared of what happen so he did not stay until morning. My grandpa jogg and walk back all the way home. My mom open the door and ask my grandpa why is he back home so early. Grandpa said that a thing came to scare him so he came back home. By the time grandpa got back home, it was close to morning. Ever since that happen, my grandpa has fear at times when he go to places alone. And I still have more to tell you guys.

My dad have said that back in his years of early adulthood, peoples will talk about a girl that she kill herself because she lost to love. But they will not speak her name because when they talk about her and speak her name then she will throw a pig's tongue out of no where at them....Scary, eeeeekk! I remember my dad said her name was Paj Xeej something.

My parent and the elders have always said that if you ever go anywhere and if you need a place to sleep then dont sleep on a tree or at the top of a tree. Alway's sleep at the bottom next to the tree only. Sleep on the ground next to the tree. And say your prayers before going to sleep. That way whatever it is that came by, it wont do anything to you because the owner of the land is watching over you.

And back in laos, my parent were going home from their farm. They were walking and my mom feels tired so she sat down on the ground and my dad went ahead. My mom was looking at my dad and he was walking on and on until he was about the size of a rice. My mom feels sleepy, really sleepy to the point where she just wanted to lay on her side and go to sleep. And then a very very loud noise came out of no where and my dad came running back really fast. My dad told my mom to stand up qiuck! He grab her hand and was also holding a long pointer gun on the other hand. They walk as fast as they can, along their way home they saw big foot prints. When they got home, my dad finally told my mom that, that noise was a tigers growling. My mom told my dad that she was feeling very tired thats why she sat down and she thought that noise was the sound of an airplane flying above.

This also happened back in laos too. A hmong family's son was sick. They do alot of gingle bell for him but it doesn't help. He got really sick and before he died he would tell his mom that the cliff is right over the table. he would jump over the table and stratch the ground with his hands. The shaman guy was holding his hand and he would be saying that they are behind the wall looking at him and waiting. He cries and after the jingle bell was done. he look at his mom and say ''meat you are''. And then his dad said to him, ''no she is your mom''. ''Do you know who I am?'' And he would say, ''Oh you are just a mango''. Minutes after that he passed away. After he died, his hands are folded into the shape of a tigers paw. They do the funeral for him and my dad they went and some other relatives went too. The guy's eyes were kinda open and he was smiling at one of my uncle. My uncle got scare so he went out and went home. And then a lady came crying next to the guy and the guy was also smiling at her too and she got scare. After they burried him, my dad said peoples were gossipping that there are tiger foot prints all over the guy's grave.

My parent have also said that back in thailand, there were a couple and they love each other. The guy went to school in town and the girl stay's behind. Tomorrow, she went to the farm and she got chase by something. She ran back home and got really sick, she passed away. And after the guy came back, he was told that his girl passed away by the girl's parent. They said to him that he have only been gone for a week but their daughters grave has already sprout so much grasses. He didn't beleive them so they took him to go see her grave and her grave was already cover with so much grasses. They said to him to let it go because she did not died only. She was taken by the spirit that have been waiting for her. Because their daughter and that spirit was destine to be for each other. Their daughter and that spirit make promises and were reborn but the spirit was unlucky and didn't became human but their daughter was born as a human. They told him to move on because he and her were not meant to be. Her parents live four house's next to my parents house. My parent said that when we came to america, that guy have also came to america too.

stephanie

sarNie Adult
ahhh! thts scary! my gpa was a commander during the war and there this one time he walked through a cemetery and a hand popped up and try to grab his boots... ahhh! scary! but, i also think that the stories people tell is based on their religion... aka... my gpa frm my mom side is a shaman priest and he says tht when they "ua neej" or whatever, he sees dead people walking around with no heads! and if they dont do it right they cant ever come back!!!!

Muddie Murda

smile...
Thanks for the stories guys! Very interesting and exciting!

I used to work with a lot of Hmong people because my boss was Hmong. I wish I could remember this one story in detail, but I just can't. (Maybe that's a good thing lol.) Anyway, one of my elder coworker was telling a story of her childhood in Laos. She had always been the outcast of her big family and she hated her life. She had a good friend who felt depressed about life too. They both wanted to end their life and promised one another that if one of them dies, to come back and get the other. Her friend passed away very young (can't remember if it was from suicide or not) but she came back and haunted my coworker and tried to take her away. :nailbiter: Like I said, I don't remember much of it. I wish I did :(

I'll post more if I remember more stories :D

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
This event happened back in Laos. My grandpa they were going back home from a visit to a relative. On their way back, there were monkey's playing and swinging on the trees. My grandpa told everyone to go on ahead because he's going to stay there for the night and do a little hunting. Everyone went on ahead and my grandpa and my uncle stay behind. There was a little hut made out of bamboo straw and banana leaves about a mile from where the monkeys are. That night, my grandpa and uncle went to sleep in that bamboo hut. It was late about two in the morning and my grandpa woke up to a loud gun shot and was startle. The second shot woke my uncle up. The third shot was carried along with screamings of terror. The screamings and gunshot was not far away, just about ten to twenty feet away. My grandpa and uncle were scare and were not aware of what was going on. They didn't sleep throughout the night, they waited until sunrise to go check what happen. There was no sign of anything. So grandpa and uncle went back to the relatives village to ask if anything happen or if anyone heard screaming and gunshots last night. A hmong Moua told my grandpa and uncle that the place where the hut is at is a bad place, because some years ago there was three Lao bussiness people who got murder by thieves and they died there. My grandpa they went back to the hut to check again and not far from where the grasses are tall, my uncle found the three graves.

The elders have alway's said that if a person die at a place, then their ghost stay there and once in a good amount time it appears at that place. In hmong, we call that spirit ''Tus shiu''.

Tell you guy's more when I have time.

soysuva

sarNie Egg
OMG, have you people heard of the story where this guy and this girl loved each other very much, but the guy went back to his village b/c i think one of his family members were sick or something. But before he left, he said he would be back as soon as possible at this place on the mountain (i think it was a place where they always met to see each other). The girl waited, but the guy never returned and so she starved herself and then died. The girl became a ghost and started hunting the whole village, so everyone moved out of the town. When the guy returned, no one was in in the village and the whole town looked creepy. He saw her and he went up to hug her and suft. One day, he said he was going to go hunting in the woods and when he went he met a guy and that guy said, "why are you coming from that direction? Didn't you know that village over their is hunted? They say a girl died their and hunted the towns people." The guy didn't believe that dude, so he went back to the girl village. Only at night the girl would step out doors and during the day, she would hide in the dark. One night he saw her all pale and she he started suspecting that she was a ghost because she didn't eat normal food like he did, she only ate old rotten things (i think, not so sure b/c my i don't really remember.) he went to search for her grave and that's when he really believed she died already. he got scared and so he thought of a plan to run away from her. When it was time for bed, he told the girl he needed to go and use the restroom. The girl didn't believe him, so she said tie this string around his waist and she told him "when I pull, I know your still their." He went outside and untied the sting from and put it around a kettle or cup full of water falling (to make it sound like he was using the restroom). After that, he ran off back to his village. The girl wonder why didn't come back yet and kept calling his name to see if he was still their. When she checked she ran off to find him. When they guy reached his house, he told his family to "ua neej" on him and change his name. [Note: in shamanism religion, we change our names so spirits that were hunting the person would not know the person and not hunt the person ever again.] The girl couldn't find him and so she waited for his return. A few years later, the guy went hunting with this friends and he got lost along the way. His friends called him by his new name, but they couldn't find him, so they called him by his old name. The girl heard the guy name, so she quickly went to get him and when she got him, she took his soul with her. After that, no one found him his body and his lost soul went missing forever. :missing:

Heard this folk tale from my grandma, uncle, and aunties. It's really creepy if you heard it straight from how my grandma and uncles of how they told the story. :nailbiter: :hide:

Also, sorry for the bad grammar. :coverlaf: :sweat:

Muddie Murda

smile...
Hahaha offtopic but that is a cuteass smiley you got for the missing person lol

Anyway, thanks for sharing the stories guys!

pangnerlicious

sarNie Adult
OMG, have you people heard of the story where this guy and this girl loved each other very much, but the guy went back to his village b/c i think one of his family members were sick or something. But before he left, he said he would be back as soon as possible at this place on the mountain (i think it was a place where they always met to see each other). The girl waited, but the guy never returned and so she starved herself and then died. The girl became a ghost and started hunting the whole village, so everyone moved out of the town. When the guy returned, no one was in in the village and the whole town looked creepy. He saw her and he went up to hug her and suft. One day, he said he was going to go hunting in the woods and when he went he met a guy and that guy said, "why are you coming from that direction? Didn't you know that village over their is hunted? They say a girl died their and hunted the towns people." The guy didn't believe that dude, so he went back to the girl village. Only at night the girl would step out doors and during the day, she would hide in the dark. One night he saw her all pale and she he started suspecting that she was a ghost because she didn't eat normal food like he did, she only ate old rotten things (i think, not so sure b/c my i don't really remember.) he went to search for her grave and that's when he really believed she died already. he got scared and so he thought of a plan to run away from her. When it was time for bed, he told the girl he needed to go and use the restroom. The girl didn't believe him, so she said tie this string around his waist and she told him "when I pull, I know your still their." He went outside and untied the sting from and put it around a kettle or cup full of water falling (to make it sound like he was using the restroom). After that, he ran off back to his village. The girl wonder why didn't come back yet and kept calling his name to see if he was still their. When she checked she ran off to find him. When they guy reached his house, he told his family to "ua neej" on him and change his name. [Note: in shamanism religion, we change our names so spirits that were hunting the person would not know the person and not hunt the person ever again.] The girl couldn't find him and so she waited for his return. A few years later, the guy went hunting with this friends and he got lost along the way. His friends called him by his new name, but they couldn't find him, so they called him by his old name. The girl heard the guy name, so she quickly went to get him and when she got him, she took his soul with her. After that, no one found him his body and his lost soul went missing forever. :missing:

Heard this folk tale from my grandma, uncle, and aunties. It's really creepy if you heard it straight from how my grandma and uncles of how they told the story. :nailbiter: :hide:

Also, sorry for the bad grammar. :coverlaf: :sweat:

o_O!..this is kind of like the movie Nkauj Nyab

p. Zoua

sarNie Oldmaid
yea, I think that is it. LoL
The movie Nkauj Nyab, I think originally came from I think a Lao or Thai story call "Ai-Kai" or something like that.

Pretty similar, except the main character guy was saved from villagers coming back to grab their stuff and a bear wrestled with his dead gf or something like that and he got stayed up in the tree until the villagers passed by. forgot, but my mom always told us when we were small.