Hmong Men Are Beautiful

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
HMONG MEN ARE BEAUTIFUL
By Bao Vang, Hmong Today

Published Thursday, August 11, 2005

Look around a teenage girl’s room and you’ll find posters of Justin Timberlake and Brad Pitt. Come this fall, that same girl may have a Hmong male calendar hanging on her wall instead.

Through a collaboration with Bamboo Production, artists from the Twin Cities, and with the direction of Wa Yang, everyone can look forward to the first Hmong male calendar featuring six Hmong men in three facets: Traditional Hmong clothes, GQ suit and tie, and beach-wear.

“I want to show that Asian men and Hmong men are desirable and sexy,� says Wa of the calendar project, “besides, we’re not just computer geeks.�

Model Tou Vang agrees and wants to make a statement specifically for the Hmong women who have given up on Hmong men.

“Hmong women don’t look at Hmong men the same anymore,� says Tou. “It’s disappointing to see Hmong women with other races when Hmong men are just as hot.�

After 30 years in America, the first Hmong male calendar will be produced. Wa says “the community is ready and should not be ashamed of the slant of our chinky eyes, our yellow-toned skin or because some of us are vertically challenged. All misconceptions of Asian and Hmong men should be eliminated. It is time the community starts looking at the beauty of what we have, instead of focusing on what we don’t have.�

The men modeling in this new and daring calendar are

Yia Khang, 18
Chang Yang, 19;
Nee Vang, 19
Lor Thao, 23;
Tou Vang, 32 and
Teng Xiong, 33.

For mainstream America, some of them will always be a little too thin, too short or too yellow. However, for the Hmong community these men represent the future of young men and women.

“Mainstream America believes Hmong men are not hot,� says Wa. “But we do have what it takes.�

And what does it take to be a successful Hmong model in the Hmong community? Attend a photo shoot with any of these men and with each pose, strut and smile exudes confidence, self-assurance and beauty.

Photographer Shila Yang says he believes in the project because Hmong men seldom get recognition for being beautiful people. With pressure from the community to be successful, marry and continue the family name, it is time to show the beauty of Hmong men.

Beauty is found inside and out. Model Chang Yang, who is thin and 5’3, says anyone can model regardless of their physical features.

“It doesn’t matter what a person looks like,� says Chang. “It’s how you transform yourself in a picture.�

The calendar features these men transforming their images in three different outfits. They go from their regular daily Hmong –American image into the traditional look of Hmong men in Laos and Thailand to a more modern classy GQ look to a bare-chested sexy look. The calendar offers a wide variety to strike all types of Hmong women’s taste.

However, all the models seem to agree that this calendar isn’t just for Hmong women, but for the entire community. And like their versatility in images and style, each model has their own objective for being a part of the calendar.

Model Teng Xiong feels that each person in the Hmong community should be happy with their own image of beauty and should not to fall into what the mainstream says beauty is. Xiong goes on to say that the calendar, “should send out a message that we should be proud of ourselves, the Hmong people.�

Whereas, model Nee Vang, who studies Health and Exercise Science at Globe College, has a very specific idea about modeling. Vang says, “Modeling is about health and your body. It will encourage people to stay fit.�

Yia Khang, who moved to the Twin Cities after graduating from high school in Wisconsin Rapids, would like to pursue higher education, but would like to continue modeling as a job to help pay for college. Khang feels that, “The calendar will provide more opportunities for guys and girls and more opportunities for me, too.�

While Yia is looking for a college, model Lor Thao is already enrolled in college courses, pursuing a career in Optometry. Lor believes the younger people will be impressed because they will identify themselves with the models. He feels those who want to represent the Hmong community should act as role models to the younger generation.

“I want to be a role model,� says Lor. “I want to show everyone that they can do anything they want to do.�

If these six Hmong men can truly believe that others can do anything they want to do, one question remains: Can these six Hmong men make it as models?

“We just have to wait and see how people react,� says Nee.

The first of four calendars featuring the Hmong men will come out this fall, released first at the Green Bay New Year. While the wait for acknowledgment in the Hmong community continues, Wa Yang says the beauty of Hmong men is no longer a secret.

“You’ll never look at Hmong men the same again.�

credit to: hmongtoday

so what do you girls think? huh? :D

oil_yui

sarNie Adult
very interesting....although i can't see that these guys are cute....j/p...i think chang and lor are sort of cute...but the other guys...mmm...they look more older to their age....i hope when the calender comes out, it won't make my hair jump up.... :lol: thanks for sharing pepper_uht.

cecilia

Staff member
Mint27 said:
hahhaa, I don't know if Hmong men are beautiful. :blink:
[post="345"][/post]​
well..depend..cuz i do know and seen a few that are like ''FLYBOY'' in wausau..

some are pretty good looking...i think they're hot..but ;)

Muddie Murda

smile...
haha no bad....

:) Sterotypes...

The bad thing about Hmong men....is the culture and rules of Hmong people. ;)

Kelly

The first two are good looking enough! I don't think that hmong men are ulgy at all...i mean.... actually you see alot of hott and sexy hmong men frm all over the U.S at the July 4th tournament in MN.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
I think the reason hmong women date other race is because most of the hmong guys personality. Sometime they look down on women. Their appearance counts but that is little problem. The problem is their attitudes.

Muddie Murda

smile...
Attitudes because of the way they were raised and the culture.

Such as....gathering a group of OLD men to go see one girl. THAT'S A TOTAL TURN OFF! <_< Stop please!

Their way of "stealing" a wife is pathetic too. STOP IT PLEASE!

It's not their looks that are turn-offs. They needa understand that. ;)

tg10

sarNie Egg
Muddie MuRda said:

Such as....gathering a group of OLD men to go see one girl. THAT'S A TOTAL TURN OFF! <_< Stop please!

[post="2988"][/post]​
Can't quite comment too much because I don't know much about it but I can understand about the 'attitudes' thing. It probably is their attitudes and old ways that are a turn off to modern day Hmong women.

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
Muddie MuRda said:

[post="2988"][/post]​

i agree too.

gloria

sarNie Juvenile
I think hmong men are very beautiful...for me, even if i date other race...i always end up coming back to date hmong guys instead...there's nothing better then ur own kind...