Hmong: "Hmong Tua Hmong" in Wisconsin...

slee00

sarNie Adult
An angry Hmong man shot and killed his estranged wife. He also shot her lover and turned the gun on himself. The estranged husband died at the hospital....the boyfriend was listed as critical condition...

The dead couple have left behind 7 (seven) children ranging from age 5-14 ! How sad!

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.../609150523/1981

Note: Join the Story Chat below

Wausau-area Hmong leaders say Wednesday's shooting in Weston might have been prevented if the victims had followed cultural protocol.

Chor Xiong, 39, shot and killed his estranged wife, Padalina Thao, 29, and shot her boyfriend, Pao Chang, 41, before shooting and killing himself in front of five of the couple's seven children outside their Weston home.

Chang remained in critical condition Thursday at Saint Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield.

Both Xiong and Thao had met with a Hmong mediator in an attempt to work out their differences. Xiong told family members and friends that he thought Thao was cheating on him with Chang. Thao said she couldn't get along with her husband anymore, and at one point told Everest Metro police that Xiong had sexually assaulted her, although she never filed charges.

According to tradition, Hmong people take their disputes to their respective clan leaders when differences can't be worked out. A clan leader -- someone who acts as the spokesman and leader for the entire extended family -- will try to resolve those differences at least three times.

If that doesn't work, the dispute is taken to all the area's respective clan leaders, a group here called the Hmong 18 Clans Council of Marathon County. On Thursday, 11 leaders representing eight clans met with the Wausau Daily Herald to express sorrow for the victims' families while urging other Hmong residents to stick with traditional ways of solving problems.

With infidelity, Hmong clan leaders will financially penalize the person who is cheating on his or her spouse. For example, a clan leader may decide that a man who is having an affair with a married woman must marry that woman and pay half of the cost of the woman's previous wedding.

It never got that far with Xiong and Thao.

"We greatly regret that we never had a chance to work this out before it got out of hand," said Jay Lee, 48, of Weston, who is vice president of the council.

Clan leaders said the system has worked well over the years.

Wednesday's homicide was the first domestic abuse slaying in Marathon County in 10 years involving a Hmong couple. In 1996, Da Vang killed his estranged 24-year-old wife, Jia Yang, and 25-year-old school teacher Voua Lo Kiatoukaysi by shooting each in the head during an argument in Yang's Wausau apartment.

But clan leaders fear young Hmong couples are exacerbating their marital problems by first taking their disputes to the police.

Once the police are involved, the Hmong leaders say, there is little they can do to help.

"(Hmong) kids today are always using the word 'freedom,'" said KhouaPao Lee, 55, of Wausau, former director of the Wausau Area Hmong Mutual Association. "But freedom has nothing to do with cheating on your spouse."

Jane Graham Jennings, executive director of The Women's Community, which provides counseling and temporary housing for people in domestic abuse situations, said most of the Hmong clients who come to the Wausau shelter are women and do so only as a last resort.

"If they're coming to us, that means they've already gone to the clan leaders and the behavior still has not stopped," Graham Jennings said. "It's pretty taboo for Southeast Asians to seek outside help, because it's still a very tradition-based culture."

Although Hmong clan leaders say men and women are treated equally, Graham Jennings said there still is an undercurrent of inequality for Hmong women.

"There's a cultural mindset that ... if women do not do these things, or if they wouldn't act a certain way, then they wouldn't get hurt," she said. "We're trying to change that (mindset)."

Clan leaders said Xiong probably felt like his back was against the wall because his wife already had gone to the police with a sexual assault complaint. Wa Meng Moua, 58, of Wausau said Xiong likely was afraid of being arrested again if he confronted his wife or her boyfriend, so he shot them instead.

Clan leaders, however, said they did not condone Xiong's actions.

"What (Xiong) did was not right, either," Lor said. "It was still domestic abuse. They should have come to us to resolve this issue."

calla

sarNie Adult
i hate those cheaters.....i think the wife and the boyfriend are both deserve it. :angry:

Muddie Murda

smile...
Wrong wrong wrong!

Sticking to the traditional ways will NOT help either.

The system does not guarantee 100% that it'd work.

sunny_gyrl

dee oNe aNd oNlee sUnNy!!!
omgawd 7 childern.....don't they thiNk of the kids b4 they do stupid things...?sniffsniff///wtf ish she think she 29 married to a 39 and cheated wid a 41 years old guy,tats so effin mess up...at least if she was cheating cheat wid a guy you age.....now tats where she f* up...her games got played wrong......!!!!!!!!!!!!

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
haha...sorry but i just find it funny...lol...now, don't get me wrong...i feel bad for the kids because they don't deserve pathetic parents like that...but other than that...HAHA...clan leaders know crap...tradition is crap...they always always favor the male no matter what the issue is...so, if you're a woman...screw tradition and screw the "clan leaders"...if you go to the "clan leaders" and do things the traditional way...you might as well just dig yourself a grave that's deeper than 6 ft...there's no way in hell you'll come out a winner...it's all about men being superior to women...which is a bunch of BS...in this situation, i'm not saying the wife is right...nor am i saying the husband is right...they both screwed themselves over...so they both deserved it...and so did the boyfriend...in the end...it's not a sad situation at all...and in a way, i don't even feel sad for the kids because who needs parents like them anyway?...yeah, life's gonna be tough but in my opinion it'll be better

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
here we go again!!! wife cheating on husband.. what's up w/this? UGH!!

anyways, i feel sorrie for the kids.. so sad.. :9

i guess these couple are gonna resolve this w/the lord..

:) I AGREED.. "FREEDOM" DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN CHEAT!!!

nekoyuyu

sarNie Egg
I do not feel pity for Xiong because he is an idiot for killing himself...what he did was selfishness; why haven't he consider about his seven children? Many hmong parent have never really mature even though they claimed to be mature. This couple set a perfect example of adult not fully matured. If he is matured he could have let her go with whatever path she of her choice, while he should have moved on and accept the fact that she no longer have feeling for him.~~it is an american way of acceptance but that is way better than killing her and himself.

My advise is that if any one wants to engage in a relationship they have to be aware that there is going to be hardship, unfaithfulness, and many more that I can not recall right now. People just have to be aware of them, life is not like a story where it can be as smooth as cinderella's...but even in cinderella we all knew that she will face class difference and other hardship will encounter her life.

bugsy

sarNie Adult
omg....he shot himself (and probably the others) in front of five of their children!!! BASTARD!!! Poor kids.

lakorn

sarNie Hatchling
When i first heard it from the radio I though 5 kids were the marry couple and 2 was the lover. So the 7 kids were the marry couple kids...

Man, can't believe Xoing will shot himself..................... after them................................
---------------------

-_- <_< -_- <_<

slee00

sarNie Adult
I believe the Chang Guy was originally married with 9-10 children too. He was always a player...he cant hold on to a decent job because he " ua laib laug" ...so he separate from his wife and children...he went out with so many women...right before he went out with Padalina, he went out with another married lady...made a lot of promises to her and ditched her after he met Padalina...

Men like him deserve what he gets....I am not sorry to say it...but I wish women would not so easily fall into this trap.

YoUa

One Of Kob Big Fan
I believe the Chang Guy was originally married with 9-10 children too. He was always a player...he cant hold on to a decent job because he " ua laib laug" ...so he separate from his wife and children...he went out with so many women...right before he went out with Padalina, he went out with another married lady...made a lot of promises to her and ditched her after he met Padalina...

Men like him deserve what he gets....I am not sorry to say it...but I wish women would not so easily fall into this trap.
I totally agree with you.

kazee

well my mother works with them.. and she says that Padalina has been seperated from her husband for about three months.. but has been sleeping with the Chang guy for about two years.. she's such a slut.. if she was going to sleep with Chang... might as well divorce Xiong first.. but it was her stupid mistakes that started this.. i blame Xiong for stuff.. but it was Thao's fault for doing what she did.. also.. Chang.. has been divorced twice.. and yes.. like slee00 said.. he does have a lot of children.. he's a major player... and to be honest.. i think the three of them got what they deserved.. the children deserve much better parents than these guys.. it's just out of plain stupidity that all this happened..

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
i don't think the traditional way will work

first of all.. people go back home and gossip.

then the words get around and you get a bad reputation..

hmong ppl suck... gosh... it gets on my nerves sometimes..

"tradition this.. tradition that..."