Hmong Community Reacts to Gran Torino

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
^^ one of my co-workers asked me about the movie too
he went to see it and asked me if i was hmong..
and then he asked me.. "was everything in the movie true?"
then he started asking me about all the hmong culture stuff
and i was only able to tell him what i knew
lol

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
they did the shaman thing not right......i think...n well, hmong peeps dunt bring that much to a saver person...do they?....n/m

Ash

sarNie Egg
I haven't watched the movie. But if we were to look at it from the brighter side, this movie probably made some curious movie viewers search more about Hmong?

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Really, it's that bad in Stockton? you mean Hmong gangs? Hmmm, I've never grown up around Hmong gangs ever...my city is predominantly a white community so I've heard of Hmong gangs before and heard of fights at tournaments, but never really grew up around any of it.... I would never want to be surrounded by that kind of territory...it's so scary!
Yes! I mean Hmong gangs. I used to live right next door to this OG MOD Hmong gang and across from another family with 4 sons who were also MODs. On the weekends, they sometimes bring young...very young girls to kick it with them. We all shared one big front yard that is blocked by a huge garage and a gate. So anyone driving by couldn't see what was going on.

From my own personal experience...I hate these guys with a passion. They used to harassed me and my sister. One night while I was barbecuing outside, one guy snucked up behind me and feel me up. I was only 12 then. Of course my parents were afraid of retaliation and didn't report it. God knows what they're doing to those young girls in the back.

Kelly

I've said it before...but I'll say it again... I'm not a supporter of this movie because it further perpetuates negative stereotypes and impressions about the Hmong people...and they claim it's supposed to be authentic!
It's a movie. Every thing was just for the heck of it and suppose to be funny. Don't take it seriously. I mean that is kinda the whold point of the movie Clint & his hmong neighbors lol.

sofarsogood

sarNie Egg
I don't care its just a movie and in movies they mostly make up things in it. In the movie I think its mostly
basic on Walter ( Clint Eastwood) not about hmong. In the movie hmong just happen to live around Walter thats all.
Sometimes it seems like Walter was trying to make things right so he can get his wings when he dies.
Don't belive everything you see in movies sometimes its always half and half true mostly its just make belive and brain storms thats all.....................again all these sayings is just my thoughts.

Raindrops

sarNie Hatchling
Here's my 2 cents so don't no body get all angry okay....from my view point, over all it was an okay movie...i personally don't really feel offended by the movie...after all it's just suppose to be for entertainment purposes...no one ever said it was suppose to be a correct portrayal of hmong...at least i don't think that was their purpose...if anyone watch the trailer the movie is suppose to be about clint eastwood's character and his befriending his neighbors, who just happens to be Hmong....looking at it from just an entertainment standpoint it wasn't too bad of a movie....now if they had called it a documentary of the Hmong then I would most likey take offense in the way some of the things were portrayed, but that wasn't the purpose of this particular movie...i'm glad that they actually choosed to use actually Hmong actors so that Hmong people can actually break into the hollywood world....we as a culture still have quite some time to get to the hollywood quality productions...but a little at a time is how we make progress....i have faith that we'll get there soon...

beamsgirl

sarNie Adult
bee vang or "thao" from the movie, goes to my high school, he gave a presentation of the movie for the new year celebration at my high school, and he personally said so himself that this movie isn't focused on Hmong people, it's not supposed to be about the Hmong people...
here's my input, sure it didn't hit the spot on portraying Hmong people, but like bee said, it's not about the Hmong people, the main point is how the veterinarian guy and the little boy's relationship, how they were there for each other in hard times and how they helped each other out. I was kinda offended when I saw this movie but then again, it was never meant to tell the lives of the Hmong people

simply_houa

sarNie Egg
Clint Eastwood himself said that the hmong ppl in there couldnt act at all
i go to church with Abel Vang who helped out with the movie and cast ppl who auditioned
he was mad himself too cuz the hmong ppl in there didnt try hard to act at all
i heard that a hmong lady was directing the hmong ppl on what to do
all the hmong religion and stuff was all wrong...the way hmongs eat at shaman jingle bells is not like a buffet
and hmongs dont sit around watching the shaman guy hu plig
i mean its a wrong view of hmong ppl and knowing that a hmong girl was directing that...well thats waht i heard only
the movie had a good view on gangs tho
watching it the first time was pretty interesting
but the second time....i notice that it was pretty dull and boring

143art

sarNie Egg
not a supporter of this movie cause it like they first started out black people are gangster and their like this and that....great now start feeding this piece of info from this movie to white people that hmong peeps are nothing but gangster....

my cuz watch it and liked it but after hearing my POV she was like "yea i 'think' i hate it too"

my brother was like it so stupid...so i kept my dollar tight in my pocket away from that movie...never gonna watch it....and never well!!