Having trouble with my laptop

suezie

sarNie Juvenile
hi can anyone help me becasue i am having problems with my computer the keyboard don't seem to be working and it keeps typing //////////// everytime i open up microsoft word, word pad. Also it makes these weird sound everytime i go to open it. My brother tried to reboot the program hoping it wasn't a virus or something and it is still making those noises and these marks //////////

Does anyone know what might be wrong. And what I should do to fix it.

azn_media

sarNie Egg
by "reboot" do you mean restore windows vista to factory settings? if yes, then you might have a bad, here's the list, motherboard, keyboard, bios system. if it's still under warranty, call gateway and see what they can do, otherwise, it'll be a little difficult to repair. you might need a new motherboard, or just a new keyboard, or the bios needs to be flashed and tattooed. i'd recommend taking it into a computer repair shop and have them diagnose the problem. the diagnose itself will cost around $60. from there, they'll let you know what needs to be repaired. sorry for the bad news and not much of help.

suezie

sarNie Juvenile
Do you know a good computer repair shop in modesto, Ca. Or should I just take it to Best Buy.

Because the problem with taking it to Best Buy is that I am not sure if I bought a warranty for the computer.

suezie

sarNie Juvenile
My brother tried it but he said that the keyboad to the laptop isn't disabling when he put in a new keyboard, becasue when he opens word document it still type that ///////////////.

azn_media

sarNie Egg
is it still within the 1 year? meaning, has it been longer than a year or not yet. if it has, and you don't remember paying extra, yeah you're out of luck, but if you remembered paying extra or it's still within 1 year, get it to best buy if you bought it there. they'll do the diagnostic for free if it's with the extra warranty or the 1 year warranty.

it'd be best to take it to best buy if you bought it there. they should have the geek squad team there to help you. even if you didn't buy it there, you can still take it there. if i live near you, i'd do it for free, but i don't. sorry. basically, just bring your laptop there and ask some questions. they'll let you know about their prices or warranty.

suezie

sarNie Juvenile
Thanks for the help azn_media

I think it is still in the 1 year because I bought it in march of 08.