Fresno Hmong New Year organizers split up

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Fresno Hmong New Year organizers split up - Dispute over spending leads to two rival events

A bitter community split has led to competing Hmong New Year celebrations, putting a cloud over a Fresno event that draws huge crowds and participants from around the world.

One will be held as usual from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1 at the Fresno Fairground. The other is scheduled at the same time -- but about six miles across town.

The reason: A breakaway group has accused organizers of misspending money raised from the event, using funds meant for scholarships to travel abroad.

The Hmong International New Year Foundation Inc. -- a nonprofit group that has organized the event for 12 years -- denies the accusations.

But the split marks an end to years of cooperation and a return to conflict that was common in the 1990s.

Many in Fresno's Hmong community fear the split will hurt the event, said Bee Lee, host of the Hmong American Business Radio show on KBIF (AM 900).

Some have called his show to complain, he said.

"Right now they're very upset," Lee said. "They say we have to solve this problem."

A big occasion

The Fresno-based celebration is widely regarded as the largest of its kind in the country. Last year, about 120,000 attended, organizers said.

The central San Joaquin Valley has one of the largest Hmong populations in the country. Many Hmong settled here after fleeing Laos during the Vietnam War. The Hmong had fought alongside American soldiers.

Pao Fang, executive director of Lao Family Community of Fresno, said his group organized the first Hmong New Year celebration in Fresno in 1980. It became a national event in the mid-1980s.

By the mid-1990s, some members of the Hmong community were raising concerns about how money raised from the event was being spent.

In late 1995 and early 1996, the celebration was no longer unified. One event was held in Fresno, and another in Hanford.

The following two years, dueling Hmong New Year celebrations were held in Fresno -- one at the fairgrounds, another at the Sunnyside Swap Meet.

The divisions appeared to be resolved in late 1998, when the groups joined under the auspices of the Hmong International New Year Foundation. Both sides signed an agreement saying there would be no competition for 10 years, said Charlie Vang, the foundation's executive director.

Fang, of the private social-service organization Lao Family Community, said he is sorry to see the cooperation end.

"There's no need to ... divide the community," Fang said. "It's sad. It's just sad."

Organizers of the breakaway event announced their plans last week on KBIF.

Members of the 18 Clan Council -- an informal group with representatives from each of the 18 Hmong family clans -- confirmed that the second event is proposed for the same seven days at the city's Regional Sports Complex in southwest Fresno.

They referred questions about why a second event is planned to Cheng Lee, who did not return repeated calls seeking comment.

But Hmong community activist Mai Summer Vue said the rival event emerged from frustrations over how the foundation had spent funds.

A question of money

Last year, the Hmong International New Year celebration charged admission of up to $4 per person. In 2008, the most recent year for which IRS records are available, the nonprofit group took in $843,831 and had a $126,777 surplus after expenses.

But "so far ... we have not seen much contribution to the community as far as scholarships to students, significant contributions back to the community," said Vue, president of the Hmong Justice USA, a Fresno group that advocates for the rights of people in the Hmong community and is seeking nonprofit status.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/25/2054177/fresno-hmong-new-year-organizers.html

I'm not surprised! Greedy Hmong people. Good thing we don't have a country, if we did. There will be war everyday!

TheGurlo22

sarNie Adult
Aww. this sucks :(
i want everyone to go to ONE new year together...guess i'm
just gonna have to go to one of them

pangnerlicious

sarNie Adult
damn..that means there gonna be two new years happening at the same time!!
wow..thats not really good..that means everyone wont get to see everyone.
hmmm...wow..this is soo lame..but at least they didnt cancel fresno new year
because its the only new year that most people comes over the world..lol

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
YM_gurl. This is true "I'm not surprised! Greedy Hmong people. Good thing we don't have a country, if we did. There will be war everyday!" Something about the Hmong people, even though I'm one, they only survive for themselves. People who are nice in the Hmong community are usually the poverty ones.

chouakim

TTFC♥
I'm going to disagree with you on your last comment. Everyone is greedy. If I were to say, Hmong people have been the most un-greedy. We never fought anyone for land, never wanted to rule over anyone anywhere. All we wanted was peace for our people and thus we kept to ourselves for years and years. Unfortunately enough our dream for peace died by [trying] to help others. *cough*the Secret War*cough*

Anyway, my dad attended the meeting a few weeks ago on behalf of the Lao Family. This is disappointing since the whole idea of the Hmong New Year is to unite the Hmong people in the community and those who are traveling to the event. This idea isn't going to fall through greatly. Most likely I'll still be attending the one held at the Fair Grounds. :/

beamsgirl

sarNie Adult
this is sad and shameful, Hmong people can't even do an event as a whole community, how is the rest of the world suppose to view us?

HuabNag

sarNie Adult
New Year now a day is for business more than celebration of culture and heritage. I see more vendors occupy the space and people walking around and around. I didn't see anyone there to show the culture that we used to have. I only see grandmom and grandpap toss ball, where are all the young people? Therefore who run it would not make it much different. I don't have any hope for the New Year because I know it going to be a shopping place for people to do business.

Also money never side with anyone, so that's why people are fighting to hold the New Year and hope to put a little in their pocket like some had done in the past. Some board members were able to purchase house while he is jobless. What's that?

I think since the Hmong Internation New Year had hold the celebration for 10 years, it time for them to hand down the New Year to another group to run. We're not in the monarchy age anymore. However, both groups have their own moto so i can't say which will be more faithful. I'll wait to see who will profit more and if the promised would come true.

Hmong People in general can be very greedy and at the same time very generous. Hmong people usually very generous if they are in a small population, they'll help each other. But if in a very large population like Fresno, they can be very greedy people. Also Hmong people like to help other when come to disaster situation, which is very nice of us too.They just need to learn how to love in all situations not just in one situation.

I just hope that someday they will realize that money is not as important as their heritage and united to form one group and make New Year celebration coming back to life, not for business purpose. Hope this will happen before I leave in this life.

dajdeev

sarNie Juvenile
Ok, no one is perfect!!!!!

I'm still going to HINY because I love going there.

About the new people, they can't be trust either and you never know. We don't even know what is their goal and what is the purpose of doing their own new year. 18 Xeem sound way too old and this is not new to me, it's old news to me. We need to take away this XEEM and bring the word HAIV because people forgot the word HAIV. C'mon we are HMONG, not yang, vang, lee, xiong, etc....

These new people won't get anything from us because i'm sure everybody is going to HINY. Why would someone go to a new year on cold day at a park with mud and grass?

I have to say these new people can't be trust because no one is perfect. To our hmong people, please don't listen to other people and start hating on this and that because you didn't even know the truth.

Again, I'm going to HINY and who cares about those 18 Xeem blah blah.

pangnerlicious

sarNie Adult
lol..im going there too..lol..cause its a lot of fun for me..and
its where i get to meet my old friends..and we get to playa round again..
so i dont want to miss this..cause its 1 week year round..lol.

pangnerlicious

sarNie Adult
lol..true..merced and stockton new year are very small...
but its gonna be more lamer if they canceled merced and stockton too.

kulyia

RUK
-.- this is pathetic. i think ill be heading out to fairground instead because grass is not so fun to walk on at times. And im so used to the fairground, so much memories there.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Lol You guys don't have to agreed with me on the part i commented because that was my opinion.

"I'm not surprised! Greedy Hmong people. Good thing we don't have a country, if we did. There will be war everyday!"

And of course everyone is greedy. you have to be or else, you will have nothing yet, know when to be and not to be. also, this shows that Hmong people can never work together, ever. because if they do, one will always turn their back on one. and it will end up like this, so once again. im glad Hmong people don't have a country!! :)

pangnerlicious

sarNie Adult
lol..i actually do agree with you..mostly all hmong people are greedy people..
even if they dont admit..everyone is greedy at times. even me..lol

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
I'm going to disagree with you on your last comment. Everyone is greedy. If I were to say, Hmong people have been the most un-greedy. We never fought anyone for land, never wanted to rule over anyone anywhere. All we wanted was peace for our people and thus we kept to ourselves for years and years. Unfortunately enough our dream for peace died by [trying] to help others. *cough*the Secret War*cough*
Very nicely said, "greedy" is not the word..I agree everyone is greedy...there are somethings the Hmong community tend to do or be more more than other races, but being greedy isn't one of them

New Year now a day is for business more than celebration of culture and heritage. I see more vendors occupy the space and people walking around and around. I didn't see anyone there to show the culture that we used to have. I only see grandmom and grandpap toss ball, where are all the young people? Therefore who run it would not make it much different. I don't have any hope for the New Year because I know it going to be a shopping place for people to do business.

Also money never side with anyone, so that's why people are fighting to hold the New Year and hope to put a little in their pocket like some had done in the past. Some board members were able to purchase house while he is jobless. What's that?

I think since the Hmong Internation New Year had hold the celebration for 10 years, it time for them to hand down the New Year to another group to run. We're not in the monarchy age anymore. However, both groups have their own moto so i can't say which will be more faithful. I'll wait to see who will profit more and if the promised would come true.

Hmong People in general can be very greedy and at the same time very generous. Hmong people usually very generous if they are in a small population, they'll help each other. But if in a very large population like Fresno, they can be very greedy people. Also Hmong people like to help other when come to disaster situation, which is very nice of us too.They just need to learn how to love in all situations not just in one situation.

I just hope that someday they will realize that money is not as important as their heritage and united to form one group and make New Year celebration coming back to life, not for business purpose. Hope this will happen before I leave in this life.
HINY claims to be a non-profit organization, which I think means we just can go up to them and ask to see a break-down of where the cash is spent, how much is spent on certain things. If HINY wants to clear up the accusation and get the trust of the Hmong community, this is what they need to do. The same goes for 18 Xeem if they want to hold this event. In all honestly I think breaking into two group shows how un-united we are, I would just like one org. to run this event. I believe before they decided to split up the whole event, maybe 18 Xeem could have consent the community. If they really believed HINY is misspending funds, bring it up, press HINY with the community's help to hold a public break-down as I stated above, good or bad, we'll get to decide. I also see that HINY doesn't contribute much if at all to the community. The only thing I've seen in the last 5 / 6 yrs is the scholarship they contributed to a ed. conference this year, but that's because we also don't know how much money is really collected from year to year and after expenses, on average how much is kept. I personally feel that the org. is ran by very traditional/ maybe stubborn / maybe close-mind men. On their board of directors there's only like 1 or 2 females, and they're in very low position like the pageant org. and stuff like that. I feel they are still discriminating against Hmong females, like a lot of Hmong men.

I will honeslty say, I want to show off my tradition. I use to dance...and pov pob alot, why did I stop? because i'm sick and tired of being hit on by old, nasty, shameless men. Gets me really angry, I can't yell at them either, and no is like yes to them. If this problem can be addressed or fixed I will be doing a whole lot more pov pob-ing.

cecilia

Staff member
^goodness, oldgy and the whole pov pob things creep me out as well .. it's why i don't attend them new year thing in dress but in jean and t-shirt lOL

This issue is a bit tough to touch on -- i just wish ppl realize the truth and pick which side they want to be in -- i don't really care for the new year -- i just want the goodie things like them stuff at JULY FOURTH tournament stalls.

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
i agree that we should actually have new-year only at sac n fresno, that way we can save money $__$ or i can save money ^__-