Forbidden Love/Relationship

taeyang_vip

sarNie Egg
I just want to know what will you guys consider “forbidden love or relationship” in modern time and especially in Hmong cultural. In my English class, we’re on this topic and I have to write a 2 pages of essay about it. I think incest, but what do you guys think??

Is actually for extra credits. Someone brought it up and my teacher is curious of what is our opinion toward it. Since now days we could choose to date anyone we want to, but there's still some relationship that is forbid.

Mae

sarNie Adult
In Hmong culture: two people from the same clan, who have no linkage besides the clan dating each other is much more of an issue than incest (because first cousins who have different last names can marry without an issue, it's actually encouraged more--this would be considered incest)

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
If you study Hmong history, not sure if it's really true, but based on it, peb los ntawv 9 or something brothers, ua ua thaum kawg peb muag cov xeem no. Peb cov xeem yog cov kwvtij ntawv cov npe. Lawv muab lawv cov npe los ua xeem kom peb zoo sib yuav. if this is true, we are all just from the same family. I just learned piece here and there from an elder here and there.

Xav xav los yog tias this is true, cev hmoob vaj yuav hmoob lis yeej taboo lis hmoob vaj yuav hmoob vaj. That's why sometimes I question myself if it's better to just marry someone else from otherside of the Hmong clan.

I think first of all, you need to confirm this with an elder who knows something about Hmong people.

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
back then yeah..but now n days many childern tends to go through the line of what the parents tell them what to do...

madalia3

sarNie Hatchling
i think that these days...parents dont let their kids marry unless the guy/girl is good...and wells yea there are still some arrange marriages...

frog

sarNie Egg
Somebody once told me a story not long ago about a boy and a girl who love each other but their parents won't allow them to be together because they have the same last name.

The boy was originally from a different clan but since his dad died, his mom remarried; therefore, he grown up with the last name as his step-father, the Yang Clan. The girl that he love is also a Yang and since he grown up taking the last name Yang as his own, both their parents won't allow them to be together.

From what I heard, the boy and girl really love each other but they can't be together because their parents won't allow it. They really love each other a lot.

angelness

sarNie Egg
Someone with the same last name as you is "Forbidden" It doesn't matter what any other culture believes, but in Hmong you absolutely CANNOT be with someone with the same last name... even if the person obtain their last name from a step-father and was originally not the same as you.. it's still, morally wrong for Hmong people.

mizzm

sarNie Egg
Somebody once told me a story not long ago about a boy and a girl who love each other but their parents won't allow them to be together because they have the same last name.

The boy was originally from a different clan but since his dad died, his mom remarried; therefore, he grown up with the last name as his step-father, the Yang Clan. The girl that he love is also a Yang and since he grown up taking the last name Yang as his own, both their parents won't allow them to be together.

From what I heard, the boy and girl really love each other but they can't be together because their parents won't allow it. They really love each other a lot.

I know of a similiar situation like this. Back in high school, there was a girl who I knew of as a Vang, but then after she graduated she married a vang? I was like WTF? Then my mom told me she is really a yang, but took on her stepfather's last name Vang when her mom remarried after her dad had died. I guess it was okay with the OGs cuz they are still married.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Someone with the same last name as you is "Forbidden" It doesn't matter what any other culture believes, but in Hmong you absolutely CANNOT be with someone with the same last name... even if the person obtain their last name from a step-father and was originally not the same as you.. it's still, morally wrong for Hmong people.
My boyfriend just emphasized this to meeh the other day when we were driving to Burger King. He did tell meeh that you are allowed to marry a girl with the same last name as your mother but just not your father. His mom is a Vang...but his Dad is a Cha...He told meeh his mom tried to hook him up with her Niece and it was absolutely okay. Nasty...Now thats incest like some of you guys say. I rather marry someone with the same last night as meeh but no blood line then someone with a different last name and is bloodline.

madalia3

sarNie Hatchling
wow...wells wat do u guys think of a girl who is in love with her sisters husbands brother...i hope u got that lol...but like yea i dont think that is rite i mean like u guys r a family now...how could u like ur in-law...i think thats weird.

kaab nis

sarNie Hatchling
wow...wells wat do u guys think of a girl who is in love with her sisters husbands brother...i hope u got that lol...but like yea i dont think that is rite i mean like u guys r a family now...how could u like ur in-law...i think thats weird.
not really because that happened to one of my cousins. M two cousins were brothers and they dated two sisters at the same time. The younger pair got married first and shortly after that the older pair got married so I don't think there's anything wrong with marry ur n-laws if you feel in love with the other person as long as your not blood related than that's fine.

princess87

sarNie Egg

My cousin's going through the exact same situation right now except their parents are letting them get married. He's a Yang. She's a Moua. Her parents are divorced. Her mom married a Yang. Before her mom could make her a Yang; in other words hu plig, my cousin took her away.

madalia3

sarNie Hatchling
wells then i think thats fine since she's not a yang yet...but gosh i hate how that works even if they take their new dads last name it should not matter..as long as the kids r in love and they at one time did not have the same last name...it's wrong to split two people in love up.