favorite laos food?

ling

sarNie Hatchling
Wow! All these pictures make me hungry! :p
I love to eat! I can eat all day :eek:

1) Tum Mak Hoon
gotta have the pah deg (smelly fish sause)
2) kao paik sen (made from scratch..yes i know how to make it!)
3) Tum kao poon
with or without the cucumbers is fine!
4) Tum mak tour (long beans)
this one you have to have with grilled fish or deep fried fish! Yummy :lol:
5) spring rolls
6) pho (beef noodle)
7) kao poon
with chicken feet and the condensed blood plus bamboo :D
8) kao nam
9) larb sien
yes i do love the raw kind with the raw liver! I know i'm grossing some people out :yahoo:
i'll eat it cooked too but it definitely have to have the tripe too!
10) tom khem
preferably with pigs' ears and lots of eggs :blush:
11) mangoes with jaeoi
although when i don't have mangoes i sub with pickles, sour green apples and/or lime :D
12) phanh hoy
I can stay and eat this all day!
13) Phanh pah
14) baby eggs
but i don't eat the babies :p

There is way too many to list. Basically I love food! I'll eat it if it taste good. See you guys got me all excited about food! :yahoo:

rms13

sarNie Egg
all time favorite is tum mak thang with sticky rice and fried fish. man its the best ever. Papaya is good, but I much more enjoy the taste of spicy cucumber. kang naw mai is good too.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
making me hungry reading these. Tum mak hoong in the winters, Tum mak thang and tum mak tour (long bean) for the summer fresh from the garden. Tum carrot with noodle is also good. :lol:

ling

sarNie Hatchling
Ever tried Tum muk hoong with muk tour, carrots and kow pooung? Now that is really good...but gotta be spicy! Man i'm hungry now. I like it with the crab sauce too.

Or you could try to tum kow pooung with cabbage. Yes put them together and tum.....it is really good. My sister-in-law got me into that. Should try it.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Som Moo, Lub Gai, YumSalut, Pun Bpa, Tum Kapoon, Soop Nawmai, Peenk Seen with Jel Pia, Tum Mak Hoong, KowPiek Sen & KowPiek Kow, and Pho lao version, and Nam!.

infinite0216

sarNie Egg
I posted this in my own thread, but maybe someone here can help me.

"I have a lot of Laos friends, and whenever they cook fish or chicken, they have this sauce this is extremely spicy.. it literally burns your tongue but it's so good that you just keep on eating it.

They told me it's called "gel" or "jel", atleast that's how it's pronounced but not sure if it's the proper spelling.

I know that the item has Thai Chilies in them and it's a clear liquid with the seeds floating around. At first taste, it's sweet/a little sour, but then right after the spicy kicks in and it burns. I'm pretty sure it also consists of lemon juice and some sugar for the first sweet and sour taste.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or can help me on making this on my own? Is it a special Laos item or do other cultures make the same thing and I should post in their section? Please let me know asap as I want to make some for tomorrow. If you need any more info, please ask and I'll try to answer/clarify.

Thanks."