Faes and such

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I have a question, is tevada the word for god/goddess or is the word for angel?
I've always associated it with angel but wasn't sure.
Anyone know the word for cupid?

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
I have a question, is tevada the word for god/goddess or is the word for angel?
I've always associated it with angel but wasn't sure.
Anyone know the word for cupid?

k the word tevadas are for god/goddess maybe even for angels too but let me go research first and the cupids are called kamathep...so it is in khmer/cambodian..i think it is the same for thai too...hence the lakorn "kamathep dtua noi".. ^_^

Liberty

sarNie Adult
k the word tevadas are for god/goddess maybe even for angels too but let me go research first and the cupids are called kamathep...so it is in khmer/cambodian..i think it is the same for thai too...hence the lakorn "kamathep dtua noi".. ^_^
Really? I didn't realize Thai and Khmer shared similarities in the language. I can understand Thai but when I tried to watch Khmer videos I had no idea what they were saying.
Thanks!

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
yep alot of our deeper words are similiar if not the same.. im trying to think of more words at the moment that are the same...

maybe we should start making a list of them!.. ^_^

k going thru my thai book... sorry if i mispronounced any of it.

เทพ, เทวดา tep, tevadas: god, angel, deity

เทพเจ้า tepjao: god, divinity

เทพธิดา teptida/tevy: goddess

เทพบุตร tepbot: god,

เทพารั�ษ์ teparak: guardian angel

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Khmer/Lao/Thai has many similarities. From the traditional music to the foods to the religion to the written language. We are one of the south east asian countries that practices Tayvadah Buddhism whereas other Asian countries like Japan and China practices Taoism Buddhism.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Khmer/Lao/Thai has many similarities. From the traditional music to the foods to the religion to the written language. We are one of the south east asian countries that practices Tayvadah Buddhism whereas other Asian countries like Japan and China practices Taoism Buddhism.
I knew that. I just didn't realize the language was that similar.
I have no problem understanding Lao and Thai but I just assumed that although Khmer is similar in other things, they differ from us in language because I was never able to understand anything they said. Maybe I wasn't listening hard enough.

I've heard of Taoism but I've never heard of Taoism Buddhism.
There's about six different types of Buddhism. I didn't realize how drastically different some of them were from one another until I talked to my Korean friend. She said the monks there were driving around in BMWs!

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
I knew that. I just didn't realize the language was that similar.
I have no problem understanding Lao and Thai but I just assumed that although Khmer is similar in other things, they differ from us in language because I was never able to understand anything they said. Maybe I wasn't listening hard enough.

I've heard of Taoism but I've never heard of Taoism Buddhism.
There's about six different types of Buddhism. I didn't realize how drastically different some of them were from one another until I talked to my Korean friend. She said the monks there were driving around in BMWs!
wow, lucky monks. :loool:

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
lol monks with class..

ps only monks..what bout nuns?

language topic:

its the deeper words that are somewhat similiar..and a few easy words too.. we have lots of words since we have lots of vowels and consonants than the thai language..so we have more vocabulary words..there are bout 10 ways you can say, just for the word "eat" ..a few nice way..and more rude ways but those words are hardly used..how did they come up with them..i have no clue neither. (somebody got bored and decided to create them?? referring to the mean ways..) <_<

and besides more of the younger generations doesnt know most of the deeper words shoot even i am surprised and look lost when my mom blurts out some stuff to me...im like ..wth.

so you prolly wont catch on to the language easily...

thats why i find it much easier to learn thai than it is to learn my own language.. :huh:
its weird i know..but its true. (i can only pronounce the consonants by memory & lost on the vowels) if the consonants was mixed around ...im screwed...

Liberty

sarNie Adult
lol I wouldn't say money equals class. (ie. Paris Hilton)
I actually think monks driving around in BMW is classless, they shouldn't be doing something like that.

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
lol I wouldn't say money equals class. (ie. Paris Hilton)
I actually think monks driving around in BMW is classless, they shouldn't be doing something like that.

lol prolly..how bout monks going to the movie theaters?? my sister in law said she saw them walking around the mall and stuff too im not sure if it was in paris or where it was again lol..it was just shocking..what happen to the 8 rules? :huh: (i guess rules are meant to be broken)

Liberty

sarNie Adult
lol prolly..how bout monks going to the movie theaters?? my sister in law said she saw them walking around the mall and stuff too im not sure if it was in paris or where it was again lol..it was just shocking..what happen to the 8 rules? :huh: (i guess rules are meant to be broken)
Movie theaters?! Shouldn't they be using that time to meditate?

sulad

sarNie Adult
After reading all these stuff; you guys got me interested.
I don't know if you guys have heard of this creature.
It's kinda like a ghost, but not really.
My culture we call it "P Nyaum Y".
It's a monkey look alike, but as I hear from the elders it can turn into anything.
Like back then when people will go hunting in the forest, if it sees you it'll turn something and try to attract you.
Once it attract you, it'll kill you and eat only your intestines.
It had happen to many people and people actually see it and it is known that it lives in Thailand and Laos.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
After reading all these stuff; you guys got me interested.
I don't know if you guys have heard of this creature.
It's kinda like a ghost, but not really.
My culture we call it "P Nyaum Y".
It's a monkey look alike, but as I hear from the elders it can turn into anything.
Like back then when people will go hunting in the forest, if it sees you it'll turn something and try to attract you.
Once it attract you, it'll kill you and eat only your intestines.
It had happen to many people and people actually see it and it is known that it lives in Thailand and Laos.
I heard about that.
My theory is that it could just be cannabalism.
Cannabals have been known to act and dress in a manner that resemebles animals that other people hunt to attract their prey.
Of course, it could be just a be a very aggressive, man-eating monkey.
They may be smaller in size than us but don't under estimate their strength. They're a lot stronger than they look.
A chimp can kill a man with it's bare hands if it wanted to.

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
that is scary...lala...

so remind me not to go camping while visiting thailand!

oh liberty i gotta ask my sister in law the next time i see her..

for real, i thought they should be meditating too!