Do you believe that good or bad behavior is based on the environment people live in?

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
For example, Hmong Thai and Hmong Lao are greedy. A person can get away from killing someone if he/she is rich. Hmong Americans are violent. Too many killings are happening in the Hmong community. Too many bad news regarding Hmong people. Hmong Americans are educated and have more freedom. Every girl, rich or poor can go to school. I heard that the Hmong people in China are not like the ones here, or in Laos or Thailand. They are unselfish. They refuse to take your gifts or money no matter how poor they are. They will chase you all the way to America to return your gifts if they have to. My aunt and uncle just came from China, and they said they put $200 under this Hmong dude's shirt coz they knew that he wouldn't take their money. When he came home, he saw the money, he chased them all the way to the airport to give the money back. They begged him to accept the money, but he wouldn't accept. This other guy who took them on sight seeing, they bought him a pair of jeans and a shirt. He refused to take them. They begged and begged for him just to accep the gifts, but he still said he couldn't. Finally, he couldn't do anything, he accepted them. They said that's the law that they live by. They don't accept gifts from tourists. If you want to help them, buy their products. If you go to Laos, you will have to bring at least $5000 with you if you have relatives. I'm not sure if this is really true to all places in the Hmong community in China, but my aunt and uncle whom just went there said that they (the girls and guys) don't take shower. The girls only wash their hair. From my analysis, I think the Hmong in Europe or South America are different. The Hmong people in Europe live with Europeans, they will behavior like european people, etc...

Quiet-ness

sarNie Hatchling
Regarding to your question, yes your behavior is affected by the environment you live or grew up in. I can't say if what you observed from your relatives can be generalized about all the Hmong Chinese, but our environment does play a role in our lives. Plus, China is such a large country that every Chinese grew up differently because of the geographic region. Nor can I say that all Hmong Thais and Hmong Laotians are that way. Although, we usually just see the stereotypes of these subgroups.

In the society you grow up in, it shapes who you are (ie behavior, values, attitudes, etc.). There is nothing we can say about it, but that people are just raised that way.

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
i think the environment is ONE factor in how one behaves but i think it's also because of one's morals and values...if you're in an environment where people are greedy...you'll tend to be greedy but at the same time if your morals tells you that it's wrong...then i think it balances it out...you can live in a greedy environment but you don't have to be greedy...so, to answer the question...i think it's up to choice on how one behaves

dubthiabdawb

sarNie Egg
yes, i too believe so and about your story of the Hmong in China, hm..i heard about their purity occasionally i too believe it :)

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
yah, everyone is different in their own way depending where they lived & of course the enviornment you live in.. & about people being selfish & unselfish in laos or china.. that depends on the person. in my opinion, everyone is selfish..know when to be & not to be..can't be too nice..people will take advantage of you.. & can't be too mean or people will hate your guts!!! :)

slee00

sarNie Adult
I believe how you turn out depends on how you are raised and by whom...I agreed that the environment PLAYS a big part to the fact of how life adjustments....but again how you turn out depends largely in the close relationships you have with your immediate family and relatives and of course, close friends. Not all Hmong families turned out really bad....in fact, some were very good, and still maintain good values in the western worlds. Many adjust well with both cultures and were able to grasped both values....those who considered life in USA too much freedom are the those who are most likely to have problems. If you read about the backgrounds of those who killed or made troubles in the Hmong Community are those who already have issues in their lives either growing or some other way.....

As for life in Laos...like the person who won't accept gifts from tourists....it is the culture...if you would offer gifts to anyone in this country...or put up a sign said "free" people will definitely run off the things! My sister went to Laos and when they asked them to eat dinner, they only have to ask once! But those visiting them?>>>> the guest party kept refusing and the other party keeping asking three or four times until the visiting party gave in and joined them for dinner! It is call politeness and courteous....In this country, we offer once then if they refused...Happy Drinking to us!

Again, whenever we cross to another country we will make the proper adjustments to fit that lifestyle...but just not overdoing it and also, still value the qualities our parents have planted in us....;