Dispute between khmer and Thai

devdas

sarNie Egg
what do you guys think of it?

Do you feel that preah veahea really does belong to thai people and not the khmer?

Im not trying to pick out a flame war, but I would like to hear people's arguments about this. Because of recent news, its seems like this situation is getting even bigger with thai using artillaries etc.

my father used to be a history/physician teacher back in cambodia. I am khmer, thai and chinese. He tells me stories about the past and history of our culture. who was here first, angkor era, chenla, indochina, where thai came from, where khmer came from etc. there is a lot. some may argue that its bias, but from my own research most of the story he told me are pretty accurate or close to the records.

so yeah...

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
I'm not so sure about the Khmer history and from a lot of people assume to say, Cambodia and Thailand used to be one country. Regardless of who really owns Preah Vihear, I don't see why we have to keep arguing. I don't think we've ever gotten along. Is it just impossible not to fight? :facepalm:

devdas

sarNie Egg
I just feel bad about for the innocent lives that are taken over this dispute.

it honestly all comes down to money if u think about it. Because each wants to attract tourism ( which i understand) but i don't think its worth the blood shed. whoever has control of that veahea will gain the profit from tourist.

not Bias, but indochina was one big country. majority of the people which were the khmer migrated to the land from india. Thai were pirates from southern china.

Thai saw what they like and adapt to khmer's tradition, hence, thats why its similar. khmer got it from india.

If you look closely at the acient khmer text and thai's text there are variation of similarities but quite different.

back than at one point when thai claim angkor wat as theirs, just asked them to see if any of their people can read the pali or sanskrit that was written on the stones. non of them could ( unless they studied and know 2 languages) the language written on the stone matches khmer's language, it didn't match thais. so that shows that thai didn't built angkor. plus other facts about the king of cambodia at the time built it etc.

and as for the preah veahea, we can use the same process of elimination to find that out.

Saifah

bite me x___
My parents watch the news about this everyday almost 24/7 to be exact.
I don't pay attention to it but I stop and watch it sometimes. My opinion,
I think it's ridiculous to be fighting over something that's HISTORY. No wrongs
or rights but Preah Veahea is a khmer language isn't it? I would have to ask
my dad how this dispute got started but it isn't right to bring innocent lives
into this mess.

And I guess you can say that it's hard to decided whom it belongs to because it
is located between the border of Cambodia and Thailand.

I'd say, if you want war, find a ground where innocent lives aren't apart of
it because it isn't fair. War doesn't work that way. I have my opinions and I
believe one side is wrong and one side should apologize so others can live in peace.

Cupid Candy

sarNie Coma
I choose to ignore this. I'd rather be neutral. I think both sides are just being childish, both countries used to be peaceful now both countries are just pinching each other. Its ridiculous.

darvil

sarNie Adult
My military buddy is saying there is definitely going to be some bloodshed.

As for me, the problem with these sorts of conflicts is the fact that it is hard for any government to back down because they would look like cowards. Its basically a pointless conflict in my opinion. I just hope its a swift and a quick resolution.

SE Asia needs to be more united and not bicker and fight over something that should be resolvable on a table. Its like we're still like the Europeans a few decades ago. They've managed to get to this point today and so should we.

rakcharm

sarNie Juvenile
you know what i'm really tired of the thais wanting this and that from khmer. they probably even want to have cambodia as a whole. it's so stupid. UNESCO already named preah vihear as a world heritage site in cambodia awhile back so wtf? what's there not to understand?? leave the past alone. the US was part of mexico but that was in the past. things get moved around with time.

i think this is a very complex situation. actually anything that deals with war and politics is. it's hard to say who's right and wrong because there may be factors that we don't know about. i also think it's a government conspiracy and the people are just being manipulated. friends with your neighbors? that's a lie. greed has gotten to everyone as they fight to be number one in the world.

now i was reading what the thais said about the khmers and their ignorance really bothered me. they really sound uneducated and even if they went to school i don't know what was being taught. they don't know the history yet they automatically think they're right. their reason being is they love their country. i'm sorry everybody loves their country but that does not justify anything. they think thailand is God. oh, thailand never have problems with their other neighbors except for cambodia. thailand likes to help (what about the one time where some people fled from burma or indonesia? i don't quite remember which country but they were on a boat to thailand and thailand refused to let them in. they died from starvation on the boat.) thailand always help cambodia but cambodia is bad and want to fight thailand. khmers are worse than dogs. some of the comments are pretty harsh. i'm not saying all thais are like this because if i did i wouldn't be any different than the ones who made those comments.

kulyia

RUK
I agree with darvil that se asia needs to unite. when i read about the civilians who lost their life, it got me upset a little..