Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History

saobomp

sarNie Adult
so sad! cant stop peeps from sterotyping b/c they are not open minded as others...

there were other asians that were killed in VT as well so they shouldnt generized about asians; agrrrrrrr!!!!

That's a one person's mistake not a whole! Look at wat their own race do to their own peeps. this will go on and on just watch...

just everyone becareful b/c we just dont know who's evil minded that will hate on us asian!

noungning

Heartless
I would sort of have to disagree though. People in America aren't pointing their fingers at other white folks and tell them why they had to bomb Olkahoma City. But they pointed at Asians after Cho had done this. One girl walked into class and was asked, "you actually had the decency to show up today?"

And I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo freaking mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend in Cali had her house and cars egged at. And then my other friend in NYC Omggggg! Her principal had all the "korean looking" students go to the auditorium, and the principal bitched at them and told them they should go back to their country. My friend got soooo mad she just walked out. And she was only some of the few Asians who walked out. She wanted to bring a bat to school the next day and I told her she shouldn't stoop to their level. So I hope she didn't do anything stupid out of anger.

I'm soooooooooo mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm terribly sorry for the lives lost because of Cho...but more will be lost because of hate crimes that will build up and are building up at this very moment because of Cho. Just like in 9/11 when those who attacked middle-eastern looking folks because, "I felt like I had to give back to my country. That's why I killed him."
muddie, i'm sorry your friends had to go through that.

one thing they can do, go to the mayor and demand the principal be fired for harassing them due to their race/ethnicity. that will definitely put s/he in place. no one has the right to do that, and if they don't fight back for their own rights, they'd never be heard. additionally, many lawsuits can be sought with a lawyer, the students were singled out when they did not do one thing wrong.

additionally, it's true they didn't single out the whole white population, but they did single out a type of white, "gothic" "trench coat" kids were very isolated, everyone gave them a cold shoulder even more than they once witnessed. for the asian community it's a bit different because we are looked at in chunks, there is no japanese, chinese, thais, khmers, koreans, laotians, and etc. it's all one big piece that they will target. they'd ignore the fact that he was troubled because they automatically digest that any race can be troubled. and so they pick at the race. for example, if a dominican were to do something wrong, do you think many people would sit and disect who is mexican, cuban, venezuelan, puerto rican, or etc? i highly doubt, and we'd just say "those damn spics, they need to go back to their country for killing someone with senseless behavior"

the truth is we can't ignore it, racism is inevitable. but for us to fight back isn't to go out and kill more people. it'd only make us worse. like many people has said, only TIME will heal.

and for those who goes out picking on asians from one person's behavior is not worthy of even one second of your attention.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
muddie, i'm sorry your friends had to go through that.

one thing they can do, go to the mayor and demand the principal be fired for harassing them due to their race/ethnicity. that will definitely put s/he in place. no one has the right to do that, and if they don't fight back for their own rights, they'd never be heard. additionally, many lawsuits can be sought with a lawyer, the students were singled out when they did not do one thing wrong.

the truth is we can't ignore it, racism is inevitable. but for us to fight back isn't to go out and kill more people. it'd only make us worse. like many people has said, only TIME will heal.

and for those who goes out picking on asians from one person's behavior is not worthy of even one second of your attention.
:clap: MOST DEFINITELY. They should document this. We should document this. Every single hate crime out there and report it immediately. It's been long enough that we've been seen as passive, submissive, and invisible. That's the last thing we need, is for ppl's experiences with hate and racism to go unacknowledged. I would love to start a page where ppl can document an incident of a hate crime that has directly affected them since this VTECH shooting. I will repost once I do. I believe it's SUPER IMPORTANT.

damn, these hateful racist mofo's are looking for stacks of lawsuits up their arse.

here's a few place for reporting such things:
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund

Phone: 212-760-9110 or 212-966-5932
Fax: 212-966-4303
Email: sling@aaldef.org or mfung@aaldef.org
Web site: www.aaldef.org

But I'll repost with a listing soon.

----------------------------------------------------------

Here's the LIST: http://hatecrimesaftervtech.blogspot.com/

jeanie

sarNie Adult
I'd like to know the name of the specific school where this happened. If a principal or any person in a position of authority did that, that is grounds for a lawsuit and you can get them booted. Did they happen to take a recording? Video with their cell phone perhaps? If so email it to CNN and all the news outlet. I can tell you if a principal of a high school really did that, it'll be a big stink.

slee00

sarNie Adult
I agreed that what Cho did was horrible....and unforgiven....let's just stop here for a moment....

People can be very mean sometimes....when I was little and was still in grade school, other students laugh at me, made fun of the food I brought to school because I didnt like American food then....sometimes I would go for days without eating because I didn't like the school lunch. And there were those days when they all laugh because my accent was different....It was a tough time....Am glad I had a great teacher! and My dad was very supportive too... my dad said to endure these can only make me a stronger person...made me determine to be the best...well, he was right...under my teacher's guidance, I spoke English, read and write within the year and guess what ! I kick butt in math too! I was great in sports too especially soccer and softball! Those kids, They wont try to mess with me again! Later, I was the only one who skip the 7th grade because I passed all the tests in 6th grade....but those time where they made fun of you stayed in your heart for a long time.....Just have to keep pressing on to new and better things....and not allow that to ever happen to your children.....

One time....my son's teach refused to enroll my son for an after school tutoring program because she said it was for all English speaking people only! OH MAN! The next thing she knew, I was speaking with the board ofeducation about that!

This is a beautiful country...and I am not saying that all people are bad....just that there are still so many people out there that are prejudice and can be mean to other ethinic group too... racial thing....For me, I try to focus on better and new things....stay away from those environments....

Just some thoughts to ponder on...not that I agree with Cho...dont misunderstand me...Just want to share my experiences on that issue...

klarissa

sarNie Hatchling
I would sort of have to disagree though. People in America aren't pointing their fingers at other white folks and tell them why they had to bomb Olkahoma City. But they pointed at Asians after Cho had done this. One girl walked into class and was asked, "you actually had the decency to show up today?"

And I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo freaking mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend in Cali had her house and cars egged at. And then my other friend in NYC Omggggg! Her principal had all the "korean looking" students go to the auditorium, and the principal bitched at them and told them they should go back to their country. My friend got soooo mad she just walked out. And she was only some of the few Asians who walked out. She wanted to bring a bat to school the next day and I told her she shouldn't stoop to their level. So I hope she didn't do anything stupid out of anger.

I'm soooooooooo mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm terribly sorry for the lives lost because of Cho...but more will be lost because of hate crimes that will build up and are building up at this very moment because of Cho. Just like in 9/11 when those who attacked middle-eastern looking folks because, "I felt like I had to give back to my country. That's why I killed him."
muddie, there will always be ignorant people that would make rude comments like that, but the point is saying that one person should not represent a race as a whole. There are people that use their feelings and act upon them, not many people think before they act. The actions that were taken with your friends, i believe that is unacceptable, and if i could lecture that principle i would. I go to a school with over 3000 white people and i'm one out of five asians. No one said anything to me or even cracked about teh situation. My school is made up of rich white kids that drive bmws, mercedes, land rovers, etc. etc. their moms and dads have connections all over the place, yet they don't point anything out about me because i'm asian. It depends all on where you're located intially if you're in a heavily diversified area or even not, it also depends on who is in charge, for instance like that principle, that person should not have singled out asian kids because that is being discriminitory and you can bring that to the school board (i worked for the school board for four years for my high school) and they can evaluate his actions. As an administrator he should not have done that, if he was going to address the issue he should have done that as a whole. That person could be sued for damages, if you get a real sneaky lawyer and some back up.

Reguardless people will always talk about race and indifferences. the real question is, why is everyone blabbing and embracing individualism, when in all aspects wants everyone to be the same? Race is just a general issue that can be applied to every situation, it's one card like an Ace that can be used for everything.

klarissa

sarNie Hatchling
its hard to not recognize it whn everywhere u go, you're given dirty looks and people mouthing off at you or spit on you. im sure you can be a bigger person once something bad happens to one of the family eh?

i agree it is there everywhere you go, but if you don't recognize it you won't see it. you're specifically looking for it you'll see it. I'm pretty sure I can be the bigger person once something happens to my own family members or myself, the more you recognize it the more you feed on it, you're just giving into their pleasures of making you miserable. We've been egged, cussed at, and all of the greater good that caucasians can do. my parents came here as refugees in the late 70's, if you're familiar with that time, you would know how america was and how they felt about asians. Yet, if you look pass all of that and ignore the hate factor, those that have tormented my family and I are still on wellfare, sitting on their porches staring at the sky, it doesn't do them any good. It's all about how you set yourself out there as well, it's not just asian or white or hispanic, its about how you carry yourself. If you're acting snobby, disrespectful and making a scene of course people are going to give you looks (i'm not saying you are a snob) if you're not doing any of that and still get looks then screw them, they're not hte ones putting rice on your table or paying for your cars or your house. Why should it matter? You're here for a reason, live up to that reason, they're here by luck, you're here by chance, make something of it.

reagan1986

sarNie Egg
Let racial people hate others, it only makes there life worst with no peace of mind, they have nothing but stress in there head, all they think about is hate most likely, and what do we do? were probably eating our lunch or drinking coffee not giving a damn, while there thinking about hating and cursing and saying this that etc... who's got it worst?
more hate = less enjoyment in life....

STIMA

GOSH I REALLY THINK NBC NEW IS STUPID FOR AIRING THE VIDEOS THAT CHO MADE.
it was such a sensitive time & ITS SURELY GONA INFLUENCE PEOPLE TO DO WHAT HE DID. freaken hyprocrites, they were all sayin they weren't going to air the video then THEY DO. ITS OKAY IF THEY AIR A LITTLE, BUT THEY AIRED EVERYTHING & THATS JUST WHAT CHO WANTS..HE WENT FROM LIKE NOBODY TO. . . they're so much more focused on cho, some reports are just unnecessary.
also IT REALLY ANNOYS ME HOW SOME KOREANS & SOUTH KOREANS OR EVEN ASIANS SAY THINGS LIKE, instead of showing sympathy for the victims & their loved ones, they go "I'M ASHAMED HES KOREAN" & APOLOGIZING FOR HIM BEING KOREAN..i find that embarassing =/ people are all worried bout asian backlash but this is not even the first time somethin like this happened plus, so many other races went thru it, as long as we dun let them define our race then it shldn't affect us, it only makes us stronger..and i dun wanna associate with those who are ignorant and hate all asians cus of it either so i really dun care. we should never stoop down to their level as much as it pisses us off. but yeh we actualy shdl be worried &cautious bout psychopaths. o_o
& i sed this like millions of times i'm really sorry for the victims & their families &frens . rest in peace

dfemc

sarNie Adult
i posted this earlier, but it got deleted so i'm reposting, it's a great article w/ good resources:

What May Come: Asian Americans and the Virginia Tech Shootings

Tamara K. Nopper
April 17, 2007

Like many, I was glued to the television news yesterday, keeping updated about the horrific shootings at Virginia Tech University. I was trying to deal with my own disgust and sadness, especially since my professional life as a graduate student and college instructor is tied to universities. And then the other shoe dropped. I found out from a friend that the news channel she was watching had reported the shooter as Asian. It has now been reported, after much confusion, that the shooter is Cho Seung-Hui, a South Korean immigrant and Virginia Tech student.

As an Asian American woman, I am keenly aware that Asians are about to become a popular media topic if not the victims of physical backlash. Rarely have we gotten as much attention in the past ten years, except, perhaps, during the 1992 Los Angeles Riots. Since then Asians are seldom seen in the media except when one of us wins a golfing match, Woody Allen has sex, or Angelina Jolie adopts a kid.

I am not looking forward to the onslaught of media attention. If history truly does have clues about what will come, there may be several different ways we as Asian Americans will be talked about.

One, we will watch white media pundits and perhaps even sociologists explain what they understand as an "Asian" way of being. They will talk about how Asian males presumably have fragile "egos"? and therefore are culturally prone to engage in kamikaze style violence. These statements will be embedded with racist tropes about Japanese military fighters during WWII or the Viet Cong's, the crazy, calculating, and hidden Asian man who will fight to the death over presumably nothing.

In the process, the white media might actually ask Asian Americans our perspectives for a change. We will probably be expected to apologize in some way for the behavior of another Asian, something whites never have to collectively do when one of theirs engages in (mass) violence, which is often. And then some of us might succumb to the Orientalist logic of the media by eagerly promoting Asian Americans as real Americans and therefore unlike Asians overseas who presumably engage in culturally reprehensible behavior. In other words, if we get to talk at all, Asian Americans will be expected to interpret, explain, and distance themselves from other Asians just to get airtime.

Or perhaps the media will take the color-blind approach instead of a strictly eugenic one. The media might try to whitewash the situation and treat Cho as just another alienated middle-class suburban kid. In some ways this is already happening, hence the constant referrals to the proximity of the shootings to the 8th anniversary of the Columbine killings. The media will repeat over and over words from a letter that Cho left behind speaking of "rich" kids, and "deceitful charlatans."? They will ask what's going on in middle-class communities that encourage this type of violence. In the process they may never talk about the dirty little secret about middle-class assimilation: for non-whites, it does not always prevent racial alienation, rage, or depression. This may be surprising given that we are bombarded with constant images suggesting that racial harmony will exist once we are all middle-class. But for many of us who have achieved middle-class life, even if we may not openly admit it, alienation does not stop if you are not white.

But the white media, being as tricky as it is, may probably talk about Cho in ways that reflect a combination of both traditional eugenic and colorblind approaches. They will emphasize Cho's ethnicity and economic background by wondering what would set off a hard-working, quiet, South Korean immigrant from a middle-class dry-cleaner- owning family. They will wonder why Cho would commit such acts of violence, which we expect from Middle Easterners and Muslims and those crazy Asians from overseas, but not from hard-working South Korean immigrants. They will promote Cho as "the model minority"? who suddenly, for no reason, went crazy. Whereas eugenic approaches depicting Asians as crazy kamikazes or Viet Cong mercenaries emphasize Asian violence, the eugenic aspect of the model minority myth suggests that there is something about Asian Americans that makes them less prone to expressions of anger, rage, violence, or criminality. Indeed, we are not even seen as having legitimate reasons to have anger, let alone rage, hence the need to figure out what made this "quiet" student "snap."

Given that the model minority myth is a white racist invention that elevates Asians over minority groups, Cho will be dissected as an anomaly among South Koreans who "are not prone? to violence" unlike Blacks who are racistly viewed as inherently violent or South Asians, Middle Easterners and Muslims who are viewed as potential terrorists. He will be talked about as acting "out of character"? from the other "good South Koreans" who come here and quietly and dutifully work towards the American dream. Operating behind the scenes of course is a diplomatic relationship between the US and South Korea forged through bombs and military zones during the Korean War and expressed through the new free trade agreement negotiations between the countries. Indeed, even as South Korean diplomats express concern about racial backlash against Asians, they are quick to disown Cho in order to maintain the image of the respectable South Korean.

Whatever happens, Cho will become whoever the white media wants him to be and for whatever political platform it and legislators want to push. In the process, Asian Americans will, like other non-whites, be picked apart, dissected, and theorized by whites. As such, this is no different than any other day for Asian Americans. Only this time an Asian face will be on every television screen, internet search engine, and newspaper.

Tamara K. Nopper is an educator, writer, and activist living in Philadelphia. She can be reached at tnopper@yahoo. com

============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========
National Immigrant Solidarity Network
No Immigrant Bashing! Support Immigrant Rights!
webpage: http://www.Immigran tSolidarity. org
e-mail: info@ImmigrantSolid arity.org
New York: (212)330-8172
Los Angeles: (213)403-0131
Washington D.C.: (202)595-8990

Please consider making a donation to the important work of National Immigrant Solidarity Network

Send check pay to:
National Immigrant Solidarity Network/AFGJ

Send check to:
ActionLA / The Peace Center
8124 West 3rd Street, Suite 104
Los Angeles, California 90048
(All donations are tax deductible)

*to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to: isn-subscribe@ lists.riseup. net
or visit: http://lists. riseup.net/ www/info/ isn

*a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage http://lists. riseup.net/ www/info/ isn-digest

============ ========= ========= ========= ======
The web page has been design by Activist Design Studio
Please visit: http://www.Activist Design.net
Toll-Free: (888)635-3307
============ ========= ========= ========= ======

**Please join our following listservs:

Asian American Labor Activism Alert!
send-e-mail to: api-la-subscribe@ lists.riseup. net
or visit: http://lists. riseup.net/ www/info/ api-la

New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers information and alerts
send e-mail to: nyc-immigrantalert- subscribe@ lists.riseup. net
or visit: http://lists. riseup.net/ www/info/ nyc-immigrantale rt

US-Mexico Border Information: No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!
send e-mail to: Border01-subscribe@ yahoogroups. com
or visit: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Border01/

Immigrant Deportation and Detention Alert!
send e-mail to: isn-deportees- subscribe@ lists.riseup. net