Contact Lenses

judyp

sarNie Adult
I've been wearing glasses for about 2 years now. I don't wear them all the time, only when I absolutely need them, such as when I'm driving at night. Anyways, I was doing clinical work at the hospital for school and realized what a pain the ass my glasses were. They kept sliding down and whatnot. And it's such a hassle for me to have to constantly adjust them or push them back up, especially when I'm doing patient care.
Well, I just had an exam for contact lenses today. For 3 days before my follow-up, I'm trying the new Air Optix, which are good for 30 days. It's actually quite comfortable. And I learned how difficult it is to put them and take them off. Geesh, I was bawling tears! The lady who was helping me kept on laughing at me. When I took them off a couple minutes ago so I can get ready to shower and go to bed; I was sitting there for like 10 mins. I was like..ooh lord, please help me get these off! or else I'm gonna have to call some emergency attention. lols. Well, anyways, I was doing my research on the prices and they're running bet. $40-50 a box. Another one from the same manufacturer is the O2 Optix is good for 1-2 weeks, and that runs about $20-30. I'll assume the quality is about the same. The price is about the same if you look at how long the lenses are good for.

My question for all you contact lenses wearer is, what brand do you prefer or do you have one? And do you suggest going with lenses that are good for a day, 1-2 weeks, or a month? And because I always try to shop for the best deals, where do you usually get your lenses? Any help or recommendation would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I get mine from 1-800-Contacts or somewhere online, but that's usually the place with the best deals.
Price usually depends on brands, packaging and advertising, it doesn't always reflect the quality of the product.

I prefer monthly ones, they're just easier to manage and afforable.
I feel you about struggling to get them in. I don't have trouble with it but there are days when the damn things just don't want to stay in and they keep popping out!

The brand I normally use is Bausch & Lomb because I've been using that brand since I got contacts. I trust them.
Plus they make soft contacts for sensitive eyes. I've tried other brands before when I wanted to experiment with colored contacts but they just irritated my eyes. I could sort of feel it under my eyelids.

judyp

sarNie Adult
Thanks for the input, Liberty.

I don't know if you remember your first time wearing contacts, but did your eyes kind of have this throbbing feeling afterwards? My eyes felt like they were throbbing. I think it just takes time to adjust, hopefully. I might try the brand that I'm with if all goes well for the next 3 days for about 6 months. I think I'll get a better deal through my optometrist than the 1-800-contacts which was where I was planning to get them initially. We'll see how it goes. I'll run some numbers before I order them. lols. I'm such a bargainer! Hey, everything is expensive, you gotta shop around! :)

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
omg i brought some contacts here in the UK coz i ran out of em and hell the optician she was tryna make me not buy them coz shes like its bad for the eyes and its stop air and crap gettin to the eyes and then all the blood will run to the black bit of the eye and make u blind and shit i was like ok just give me tha contacts PERRRRLEAAASE aha sorry had to tell ma part sorry was abit off topic lol

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
THE FiRST TiME YOU WEAR CONTACTS, YOU DON'T FEEL A THiNG. WELL AT LEAST i DiDN'T i WAS SO HAPPY WHEN i GOT MY CONTACTS! WHEN iT COMES TO BRAND, i DON'T HAVE THOSE EXPENSiVE ACUVE BRAND, THOSE ARE UNCOMFORTABLE FOR ME. iT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR EYES, REALLY BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME EYE SHAPE & ALL THAT STUFF. MY CONTACTS ARE ABOUT $30 A BOX. PRETTY CHEAP, i THiNK. HEHE ANYWHOS, WHEN YOU GO iN FOR YOU EYE EXAMiNATiON & YOU TELL YOUR EYE DOCTOR THAT YOU WANT CONTACTS, HE'LL LOOK AT YOUR EYES & HE'LL GIVE YOU A TRAiL PAiR TO SEE HOW THEY FiT. THEN A WEEK OR TWO YOU RETURN TO THE EYE DOCTOR & HE/SHE WILL EXAMiNE YOUR EYES TO SEE iF ANYTHiNG'S WRONG WiTH THE CONTACTS. iT'S SiMPLE! ^_^

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
Quick questions, how do you not uppercase your "i"'s? Do you go back and change them all or is it something you practice?

I wore colored contact once... and boy are they more uncomfortable than a wedgy.
:loool: i've got to try a pair out one day just to see what you're talking about.

i wear bausch & lomb soflens 66 for astigmatism.

this is what i usually do when i have to stock up:
>> go to pricegrabber.com and search for my contacts
>> check out the online store that sells the contacts for cheaper, their shipping and if there are any fees. just to see if they're legit.
>> price match the contacts over at 1-800-contacts, because they'll *usually* ship FASTER than the store offering my contacts for cheaper.

judyp

sarNie Adult
Quick questions, how do you not uppercase your "i"'s? Do you go back and change them all or is it something you practice?
lol. are you talking about noy's post? and you probably mean lowercase "i". i know. i see lots of people who type like that. no offense, but i find it annoying as the way people who talk like this, "ish coo" and so forth. haha. sooo off topic. :p

judyp

sarNie Adult
:loool: i've got to try a pair out one day just to see what you're talking about.
i wear bausch & lomb soflens 66 for astigmatism.

this is what i usually do when i have to stock up:
>> go to pricegrabber.com and search for my contacts
>> check out the online store that sells the contacts for cheaper, their shipping and if there are any fees. just to see if they're legit.
>> price match the contacts over at 1-800-contacts, because they'll *usually* ship FASTER than the store offering my contacts for cheaper.
yeah, i noticed that 1-800-contacts price match other online stores, so i am def going to shop around. im adjusting to my contacts, they're actually not that bad.

untinnu

sarNie Adult
When I first had contacts, I used Softlens..those are about $30-$40 a box, but now I wear Acuvue2, and they're about $15 a box...and they're comfy. I also sometimes wear color contact, Fresh Look, but it's not so great during the night, considering that your pupils gets bigger, and when they do, the color part of the contact blocks for vision..and, the color contacts don't feel as comfy..and I get my stock at Costco..or sometimes, VisionDirect.com..

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
Alright, so I have a quick question...I want to order some more contacts, but I've lost my prescription. I don't want to pay money for a contact examination prescription thing, and I have some of my unopened contacts. Can I just bring those in and order some? It's not like I'll get high off of prescription contacts...

My glasses make my nose look big :D

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Don't they make breathable contacts now?

Oh as for the lasik thing, it sounds like a good idea but only if you have the money and the part where they slice a piece of your eye off kinda freaks me out. I'm always worried they'll make a mistake, I don't care how successful it's been or how many times they've done it, it only takes one slip up to screw up for me and I don't want to be that first one.

judyp

sarNie Adult
^^ yeah, the ones im trying are breathable contacts. it says it provides 5x more oxygen than the regular soft lenses. i can supposedly wear it overnight for up to 6 nights, but im so paranoid that it will just dry up. and the whole lasik thing, i don't know if i will ever get one either. my dad actually had lasik eye surgery with good results. but like you said, it only takes one time to screw up.

Alright, so I have a quick question...I want to order some more contacts, but I've lost my prescription. I don't want to pay money for a contact examination prescription thing, and I have some of my unopened contacts. Can I just bring those in and order some? It's not like I'll get high off of prescription contacts...

My glasses make my nose look big :D
yeah, im not too sure how that works. i mean, when you order online, do they actually ask for proof of your prescription as in the paper form from your doctor? or can you order just by knowing your prescription based on what's on your box? i'll ask my doc tomorrow because im curious too.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Well, if you don't have the actual prescription for contacts, as in the paper you get from the eye doctor but you know your prescription it should be fine.
Not many people keep those papers, I always keep a box of my contacts around because my prescription is on the contact lens box.
If you take that in to an office to get it ordered I don't see why they won't be able to fill it out for you. They might ask when and where you last got your eyes checked though, if you can tell them that much they can at least verify it with that doctor.

When I order contacts that ask for prescription and who my doctor was and where it's located, it's pretty standard.

^^ what Liberty said. ;) as long as your prescription hasn't expired, the Rx is on your contact lens box. You can use that and info. such as the phone number of the place you went to and the doc's name. They'll just call it in to verify. Usually, the place you went to should still have a copy of your Rx. If you stop by there, have them give you another copy. So in the future, you can just show that piece of paper, fax or email the Rx in for faster confirmation.

i usually recommend having back up eye glasses. it's still not very ideal to rely on contacts too much. your vision will only get worse IMO.

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
^^ That's what my mother tells me. "I saw a deal for buy one frame get the next one FREE, you need an extra pair of glasses"

Anyone seen any good deals on glasses lately? I don't want to spend more than $250 on my "extra" pair of glasses.