co-worker speaking hmong to children

fanny

sarNie Adult
I just need ya'll opinion about this. I worked with children from age 3-5, the teacher is Hispanic and the T.A is Hmong and I am Mien and very new to that center for about 4 months, but i can understand and speak Hmong. In the classroom there are special need children included,(they're not mentally retarded, but they have down syndromes, but can understand words and very bright kids ) not just regular kids. My job is to work with the special need children, but we have to included everyone in the classroom because they the children of the school. We have all type of children, (Hmong, the newcomer who doesn't speak English yet, but can understand little bit, Mexican can't really speak or understand English, White, and Mien, can speak English). The problem was when the Mexican and White are playing together and they got a lot of toys out and sometime they don't clean up everything in that particular area and they go to another station to play. The T.A would tell the Hmong kids (speaking Hmong) not to go there if they don't want to clean up. (hello, what is trying do here we supposed teach them to learn how to be good here not lazy) And sometime when we do activities everyone should be included to do things, the T.A kinda let regular kids do first and called the special need children later, even sometime the special need kids was standing watching them do projects. Also, during breakfast or lunch the T.A. would called the Hmong children go her table (this happen almost everyday) and she tell me to sit with the special need children. Which I don't mind, but I was told to let children choose where ever they like to sit and we supposedly let them get play with different kids and learn things from one another. I am also told that I have to play with other kids too, not just the special need children, but most of the time I can't because the Teacher and T.A. are not helping me to watch the special need children.
Tell me what ya'll think of this, what should I say to the T.A
Need suggestion

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
talk to the teacher or someone higher up if u know the teacher is not on the same page as you. because i agree...interaction between (especially) children should be universal regardless of their state of being.

slyly converse with your uppers/teacher and ask her to recap the things that you are suppose to concentrate on, because you are confused as to the way things are being run and dealt with. literally ask her things like, "are we suppose to make the children sit in certain places? cuz i'm not really sure as to what is more preferable, allowing them to have that freedom or enforcing seating arrangements. and speaking of order, the children are highly suggested to do things together, is that correct? it's just that i see very little interaction between the children...especially between blah and blah. and i thought if we come up with certain activities that would bring them together, it would be great for the children's mentality."

in which case, ur upper might say, "oh, aren't you guys doing that already?" and you should say, "well, not quite. i often see the children playing separately and are told to clean and not clean certain areas. so it's very hard for me to approach this matter. of course i don't want to cross the line with anyone. at the same time, i just thought it would be more beneficial if we focused on bringing the students together. that way, it's much more interactive and even easier to control since there won't be multiple activities going on in different places."

something like this. because i don't fully understand ur environment or the entire situation, i can only suggest this much...from what i read. hahaha i understand how hard it is working in education...and also working with someone or people who don't give a damn enough to include all walks of life. don't let this obstacle discourage u from speaking ur mind.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Yeah this is totally a problem...you should probably go to someone about this...or call up a meeting about the situation. The kids are definiately not going to learn anything from this...other then to stick to their own kind.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
it seems as if she only favors hmong...

i'm hmong myself but i dont act like that.. i respect everyone... **coughcough** unless theyre a pain in the... hehe xp.. lol...

transcend89

sarNie Adult
she suppose to be a professional so she shouldn't do that i know...i'm hmong too and sometimes as i have observed hmong people like to stick to their kind because of older generation influences that they should help their people but c'mon were in the 21st century where things are different now so since you know hmong well just talk it out with the TA and if that doesn't work report her

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
this is very UNACCEPTABLE. This needs to be brought up to the Principle or someone in charge of that school. That woman is teaching kids to descriminate eachother. If it were me, I'd bring it up ASAP before its forever embedded in the children's minds that special needs kids are not worthy enough to even sit with them.