[CH3] Nang Ay (Maker Y Group) : Great Warintorn/ Nicha Nattanicha

Rosi

Wifey #42
The cute thing about Nang is all these facial & physical expressions which she doesn't hold back, as would a kid - who cares who's looking? hehe.... She went all coyly bashful when "uncle" called her a young lady & pretty one at that! When faced with tasty choices of treats at the thank you lunch (for helping out the fire), she & her cartoon went into gleeful ecstasies about the food!! It's so funny she's comical, this girl, and I liked best she mimicked how Si is probably eating delicious Penang prawns with her eyes half-closed & a silly smile. However, how I pitied Khun Thip when she's at her blurred innocence :

Nang : Why shouldn't I dance? Uncle Pittha said okay
Thip : Because his kid is a son! He's got nothing to lose!
Nang : What did I lose then? Man, you're odd. I'm having so much fun & you say I'm losing out?
(Now, how to argue that rationale. So Thip went another way, it sounds almost childish!)
Thip : I'll go tell your mum you called me Uncle (!!)

He's about to explode a blood vessel when she laughed in his face, and then cheekily lifted up her skirts in a curtsy, mocking him as she "floats" away.

It was a modern version but reminded me of the old school love stories like Pride and Prejudice haha.

Rosi

Wifey #42
Omg Did I miss this lakorn completely?!
Phatman, hehe, I think you did.

Well, I don't blame you. Some other reviews from other sites they maybe saw the 1st, 2nd episodes; called it boring & didn't want to explore further. If you go by those then most people would have followed suit. Over time I've realised not always that we see things the same way, and as in all good journeys you'll have to discover it first. Nang Ay is a hidden gem, because the love story at the end is truly beautiful. Khun Tip made a phone call to Nang the most romantic thing in the world!! I was smiling along with their smiles. Watch it, Phatman.

As for Nang, I've only ever seen this actress as one other drama where she's groomed for marriage with Pope, but then Namtharm the more outspoken sister got him instead (can't remember title of that story). She's pristine as an angel in that one, so am delightfully surprised to discover her 360 degrees turn acting like this - flying free 100% totally into her role as a mischievous schoolgirl - the prankster, a giddy innocent, a comical, funny, daring kid. Even at simple things when winning a tiny toy at the school fair, her elation is so crazy excited the way she walked to her prize!! The staid butler she renamed Barry!! Her banter with Compun.... Nang hyper activeness as a teenager is perfectly offset afterwards when she elegantly matures into a wife for Khun Thip.

Rosi

Wifey #42
One of the quality traits of Thanathip is his ability to retain personal aloofness while displaying a caring, public side. While he even had to wait the proper time to wrangle a promise out of Nang to steer clear of other men, he has far ahead kept himself above reproach. And this is especially when with Si - the way he offsets each time what she's indirectly angling for; using rules & the nuns to minimise their interaction (We can't stay out late just because I'm the Thai Consul, rules should be bided), even throwing in Nang's name at every turn - "If it'd been Nang, she'd have decided by now, and even demanding what she wants!" although that makes Nang out as a handful! He said he knows nothing of clothes when Si asked him to choose for her what he likes. That he relied on Nang (Nang again!) choosing for Si before. But on his somewhat first date with Nang & straightaways buying her a dress, he even knew to the reason why he chose a certain dress for her. "When two people go together, their colours should match too," he learnt that from his mum. Wow.

Still riding high on this lakorn!
Episode 13, what can I say. Khun Barry is THE man, he is the best wing man lololol. Way to hook your boy Thanathip up, Barry!
Great has always been one of the most handsome actors for me, but I haven't been in love with any of his characters before Thanathip. He is putting that brilliant smile to use in the best ways in this lakorn! I'm loving the chemistry between him and Nicha. Oh khun Thip, I love how shy he is about using Line, tossing his phone like a hot potato after his first message to Nang is sent. It's okay lover-boy! Your efforts will be worth it! You are steadily bringing the shyness out of Nang. Nang ai laew!!!
I have to admit, I love the way khun Thip ends his sentences with, "ka," when he speaks with the gals. It's adorable, and I love that Nang's and Thip's language progresses with their relationship. Shoot me now, I could die happy after that scene when they're talking on the phone while he's abroad. Their smiles are so rewarding, I'm so friggin happy to see them growing closer in a romantic way. Let me recap:

Nang is listening to a love song, as suggested by her mom, to confirm who she is in love with. Her phone rings. She smiles.
Thip asks, "What are you doing?"
"Listening to music."
"What song?"
Nang hesitates shyly. "Just any song. Did you just wake up?"
Thip is smiling like her voice is a love song. "I've been awake for a while. Actually, I haven't been able to sleep. I'm missing [someone]."
Nang wonders, "Who do you miss?"
Thip grins. "I'll tell you when I get back. Right now I have two things to tell you."
"What is it?"
"Do you want good news or bad news?"
Nang considers this. "How bad is the bad news?"
"Not too bad. I have to go into the forests for a couple of days. There won't be signal, so we can't talk for 3-4 days."
Nang frowns.
"Are you making a sad face, khun dee?" [As in, like, "dear," or "honey" !!!]
She tries not to sound sad. "So what's the good news?"
"The good news is that once I'm out of the forest, I'll fly back right away. So we'll get to see each other soon." Nang stutters. He asks, "Nang? Why are you quiet?"
"You're referring to yourself as, 'phom.'"
[Great's grin is the light of my life!!] Thip smiles with bliss, as if she's discovered a treasure inside him. She waits, breathless.
He says, "Well...if I talk the way I used to, I'm afraid it won't be appropriate for someone who is..." He fishes around for the word. "...someone I'm close with."

This entire scene, they're both so giddy, so delighted with hearing each other, so breathless with unspoken words, so obviously with butterflies in their stomachs. These two are my dear children and I want to shelter them from Nang's dad! Thanathip made so much progress in one episode, and it was all messed up because of Nang's dad and Si. :(

I'm still not sure how I feel about Si and Chai Pong's arc. I feel like she's expressed several times before episode 13 that she's uncomfortable with him, and with the idea of maybe dating him. If this was real life, I would hope he respects her and chills a bit more, instead of hanging around her so much. On the other hand, I know they're going to end up together, so I appreciate his loyalty.

Rosi

Wifey #42
The conversation between Thanatip and his dad is especially poignant. About the older man's loves - one borne out of suitability, and another that is of soulmates - and which seems to bring greater joy. Like Thanatip for Nang, and age at that stage being their stumbling factor, the older man had married his young servant (Sai's mum). "That day, suitability vanished," said his dad. He advised Thip that time will make things suitable between him & his love.

It was a modern version but reminded me of the old school love stories like Pride and Prejudice haha.

Rosi

Wifey #42
Yeah, they casted SO right can't imagine anyone else being Nang. Or Great as the Thai Consul. They make a gorgeous pair - while he is shown as the handsome adult throughout her school years, Nang's beauty is exquisite on their wedding day.

Of his movies, I like Great with Pream but I think I'm turning traitor here Nang & Thanathip totally rips the soul!!

Alright I'm gonna watch this then!! Thanks for the positive reviews!