can my laptop's problems be fixed?

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
my toshiba is dying and i'm trying to figure out if it needs some replacements. the problem is that it keeps shutting off. it's not completely off, because the light on the button still looks like it's on and i still hear the machine running. the screen just goes black like on hybernate mode. the turn on/off button is also giving me problems. usually, i didn't have to press so hard to turn on or shut off, but now i have to really press it down to turn off. is this fixable?

darvil

sarNie Adult
that is an impossible question you're asking us. We're going to need alot more info then that.

Things such as.. it shuts off when? randomly? or is it when you are using it doing some heavy stuff?

Does it have warranty?

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
the warranty is expired. well, it's not just randomly shutting off. basically, i cannot use any application or the laptop itself right now, because it keeps shutting off in hibernate mode. i write this message from my new laptop.
in other words, i can't turn it on to use it. when i press the turn on/off button, the light turns on, but the screen is totally black. if i'm lucky, i will get my computer to load the applications, to the main screen, but after a few minutes, it will shut off, as i said, not completely, maybe sleeping mode. oh yeah... i have reformatted my system with the drivers CD that came with the computer.

darvil

sarNie Adult
lets say you just turn it on but don't use any applications.. by that I mean you don't DO anything such as open a browser.. run anything at all and just leave it on.

Can you do that for me and tell me if it last much longer or doesn't turn off at all?

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
i hardly can do that. when this problem first started, it usually died after i type my username and password, if i'm lucky. what happens now is when i press the turn on/off button, the button turns blue, but the screen is all black is all black. it makes a whooshy noise then stop, and then the screen goes black. nothing comes afterward.

Pure Azn

sarNie Hatchling
i hardly can do that. when this problem first started, it usually died after i type my username and password, if i'm lucky. what happens now is when i press the turn on/off button, the button turns blue, but the screen is all black is all black. it makes a whooshy noise then stop, and then the screen goes black. nothing comes afterward.
Well if u live in the US and theres a Best Buy around your local area, i suggest take it to geek squad lol (if repairs cost too much and ur laptop is old.. id suggest to buy a new one instead)
Your computer cpu power system probably is failing.
Or in other words - get a new laptop :)

jeanie

sarNie Adult
Are you sure it shuts off? As in, the computer shuts off or just the screen goes black but the cpu is still running? I had a Toshiba a while back and depending on model there's a glitch. The light "bulb" for the screen the way its built if you move it around a lot it jangles it and they have to replace the wire or some such crap. At least thats the way they explained it to me at the Toshiba repair center. I would take it to them and ask what's wrong with it. If its too much like everyone else said might be better to get a new one.

I have a Sony Vaio now and I like it much better than Toshiba, didn't have a very good experience with that. My friend loves her MacBook but I like my windows stuff. You can run windows simultaneously on a Mac but too much of a hassle for me.

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
thanks everyone for all your help. i already bought another toshiba. when i have money, i will have my other toshiba fix, because i like xp more than the vista operating system.

jeanie - i don't think it's completely off. the screen just goes black. maybe it's almost complete off, because if it's still running, i would hear the noise running on the background, but i didn't hear anything--just the blue light on the button still on.

noungning

Heartless
from reading... sounds like at first... ur lightbulb blew for ur screen because it goes black but u still hear things...

then u say u don't hear anything at all but the light is on.... meaning ur hard drive won't boot or it failed. usually when it is gonna crash... or crashed... some computers automatically reboots and does the same thing over and over again until u change the setting to not reboot when it crashes.

since u said you have reformatted the computer, i don't think it would be software issues since u basically wiped it all off and brought in a new clean installation. however, when u did reinstall, did everything install 100% and not fail? and if the answer is yes 100% the problem seems more hardware than software, and would probably need a tech to be fixed. replacing the hard drive might be more expensive because it's a notebook... but also depending on how old your system is.

i know where u are coming from, i don't wanna throw my old computers away too that's why i have a few semi-working systems lol

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
from reading... sounds like at first... ur lightbulb blew for ur screen because it goes black but u still hear things...

then u say u don't hear anything at all but the light is on.... meaning ur hard drive won't boot or it failed. usually when it is gonna crash... or crashed... some computers automatically reboots and does the same thing over and over again until u change the setting to not reboot when it crashes.

since u said you have reformatted the computer, i don't think it would be software issues since u basically wiped it all off and brought in a new clean installation. however, when u did reinstall, did everything install 100% and not fail? and if the answer is yes 100% the problem seems more hardware than software, and would probably need a tech to be fixed. replacing the hard drive might be more expensive because it's a notebook... but also depending on how old your system is.

i know where u are coming from, i don't wanna throw my old computers away too that's why i have a few semi-working systems lol

I think you're right. A piece of the computer hardware is probably causing this. I think i have been using it for about 4 years. Maybe I didn't take good care of it. Lord, I usually ate stuff in front it-- usually careless without much care and thought, leave it on for so long. Now, I try to avoid doing the same to my new laptop. It might be burnt out. My brother mentioned something about the fan might not be working anymore.

I have spent so much on this new laptop, I will need to wait until tax returns. I hope it won't cost more than $200 to fix it.

thanks.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Oh that happened on my other laptop -___-" exact same problem; but then i realized it was because my batteries it started happening a 2nd time and that time it was the bulb ... does your laptop have a mode where it switches from crt/lcd? ... cause from what you're saying same thing happened to me; it costed me about 50 dollars to fix =/...which is not bad compared to the 200 u are thinking lol