banking issue

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
k i have an account with wellsfargo bank and im pretty good with my account had it since i was 10 never overdraft or anything but like 4 days ago i had to pay for my classes using up most of my oney because i forgot to file for a federaol grant like i've done past 2 years and it was too late when i remember to lol but anyway im deviating from the point, like i was saying i 4 days ago i overdraft by accident bc i had setup a payment plan with the college and when u setup a plan you pay half there, and here comes the stupid part it didn't show up on my online bank the whole day and usualyl when i use my card it shows up that day k not usually but always it has never not show up once so i liek waited 2 days and still nothign and went back and did it again bc school started in 2 days and i was worry and waht did u know the next day both payment showed up one was covred and the other one was the overdraft it didn't even pend, not onyl that i thought i still had cash so i spend somne on school clothes so those were overdraft too, so i called the number on th website that helped me setup the plan and they said to call te school and so i called the school and they said nothing could be done, i haven't try calling bank yet just wanted to get y'alls opinion on this subject

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Genks that's why they give you a transaction book so you can keep track of how much you spend and how much you actually have in the bank to spend! One thing though, if the school got the payment twice, then hopefully they don't charge you again for the second half which has already been payed and resulted in your bank overdraft. Don't forget to follow up on that genks. Good luck man. I'm a WaMu girl not Wells Fargo so I'm not sure about their policy.

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
I'm with USBanks and when I use my card. I check it a day or two later and it show up. If it don't show up. I don't worry about it cus eventually it will show up sooner or later. Genks .. before you went to swipe your card the 2nd time .. you should of call and ask the school if they got your payment .. or if anything was wrong with the payment ...

well ask your school to cancel the 2nd payment .. or call your bank to cancel it .. but if its too late .. than oh well .. at least you don't have to worry about the payment LoL

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Genk your school should be able to do something about it .. credit it back to your account because I don't see no reason why they can't .. If you can't resolve it through the bank and they actually charged you then you call your bank and dispute the payment (although I shouldn't have to go to this) because I don't see why your school would still charge you for it if you tell them of the mistake... they should be able to credit your account back because it is somewhat consider an overcharge ... and also ... the bank should dispute it for you ... when it happens with me I call the bank and dispute it and they immediately clear it up. I had one incident and thats about it .. out of the 10 years I've been with Chase >.O But yes like nong nai says .. transactions book!

noungning

Heartless
yeah with a mixture of the answers sounds ok lol...

um so u charged, and went back to double charge eh? what made u do that? didn't u have a receipt of the first payment? that would be good enough to verify with ur school that u've paid them. why would u go to pay again when u didn't have to yet?

as for why does your account not get charged as of yet? well depending on the place u make the purchase, certain places i.e. when u buy stuff online. they tend to verify if you have that certain amount of "credit" available on your card by placing a hold for that certain amount on your card, while some companies only place a $1 hold on the card for the purchase. in the meantime, if it's an online order, they cannot process the transaction until the item has shipped. so they cannot charge ur card until product has been made available and sent out to you.

in some cases, like buying gas, it can take up to 3 days to process, so it will not reflect on your card, especially if u use a debit/credit type card. while some places, in my case, a cafeteria i buy lunch from, they would swipe my card but the transaction might show even next week. because some places has a certain quota i suppose, before they submit the transactions at once, so things doesn't hit or process on my card until they submit it in... or another place is dunkin donuts, they don't appear fast, it'd take almost a week before the charge is shown on the card.

as for your case, i'd ask the school to credit you back your money, and file a dispute with ur bank and say that they accidently charged u twice so you should not be accountable for their mistake and demand all your fees be removed or u will move to another bank! lol always play the threat card if u can. they don't want to lose business, especially in this economy!

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Genk your school should be able to do something about it .. credit it back to your account because I don't see no reason why they can't .. If you can't resolve it through the bank and they actually charged you then you call your bank and dispute the payment (although I shouldn't have to go to this) because I don't see why your school would still charge you for it if you tell them of the mistake... they should be able to credit your account back because it is somewhat consider an overcharge ... and also ... the bank should dispute it for you ... when it happens with me I call the bank and dispute it and they immediately clear it up. I had one incident and thats about it .. out of the 10 years I've been with Chase >.O But yes like nong nai says .. transactions book!
I agree with what she said.

I use to be with Wells Fargo, it was a bitch. Don't know why but when I was banking with them I felt like I was being watched by an authoritative figure. Like they were waiting for me to do something wrong.
I'm with Compass Bank now, I'm not so paranoid anymore. :p

But yeah, there shouldn't be any reason why your school couldn't refund it back to you, if you explained what happened. I'd keep at them, sometimes the people handling the issue don't want to deal with the paper work. Also contact your bank.

You already contacted your school. So now contact the bank. :lol: Banks are usually cool. I'm not with Wellsfargo though... so I don't know what they're like.

Usually with a bank, you fax or mail them a letter saying one of the charges aren't legit. They'll check it out, & remove that charge, although I don't see why your school can't do it. They should be able to give you a credit or refund. You will have to contact them. If one says "no," you try until get someone who can say "yes" or ask to speak to someone higher up in authority. With the bank, it's better if you go sit your butt in one of their chairs and talk to them face to face though. ^_^ Just don't go on a busy day.

As for the overdraft, tell them you have been a customer since in your diapers and if they can WAIVE that charge. If they won't, I'd really consider banking somewhere else. Ask them nicely but firmly. ;)

And yes, like what the 4'10" something said, you might want to consider using a balance book or some type of software that can help you keep track of your spendings. it's best to start, when you're young... so that when you have those 2-12 bundles of joy jumping & screaming at you, you don't have too much to learn like balancing your budget. B)

natty

Chubs
hey genks.. your bank will reverse your overdraft charges and refund you.. just call them and tell them what happen (don't need to give them a life long story or that you've been with the bank for x numbers of year.. they have your records on their computers and it will show that you never overdraft before)... however don't do it again because they are only allowed to do it once in your entire time banking with them.. but before doing that.. make sure the school refund you first or deposit the amount to cover it.. the bank wont refund you the overdraft until you have money to cover the amount.... but yeah.. majority of the big banks, wellsfargo, boa, wamu, hsbc and ect will allow 1 reverse overdraft charge.. oh and you have i think 30 days from the overdraft day to ask for refund...