Are You Persuasive?

rukD2B

Bai Yang [♥] Fong T. Xiong
Anyways, this is a funky topic. LOLs. Just kidding. ^__^

But I was just wondering, how persuasive are you Sarnies? And do you think you're persuasive?
Are you capable of bending people into doing things your way? Wait, does that sound like I'm
asking if you're bossy? O__O Oops. That's not my intention though.

Anyways, I'm trying to convince my parents into letting me use my money. Does that sound like
a stupid sentence? I think so. Because the situation is stupid.

Okay, well, when I was in kindergarten, I drew this ugly picture. The picture was a picture of me,
as a baby, in a car-seat and a life jacket. And next to me, was my dad. (Shaped like a square. O__O)
Well, anyways, my mom was in the picture too. We were all wearing life jackets. My picture was
submitted into an art contest. The theme of the art contest, was to draw a picture that had to do
with safety. Amazingly, my picture won and it was turned into the calendar of the year - for the
county's school calendar. This was in California. But anyways, as a reward, I got a $250 check.
My parents told me that I had to be eighteen in order to cash the check. A few weeks ago, I just
learned that I could actually, really cash it at age fourteen.

I'm sixteen.

So, because I want to use the money, I tried to persuade my parents to let me cash the check.
They won't let me. And because of that, this question pops up. So I'm asking you, Sarnies. Tell me
your persuasion methods, because I need some! I saw this really cool gadget that I want to buy
and I can't if I don't have money. TT__TT I know my parents think that it's not a good idea to let
me use the money now because they think I should use it for my college savings or et cetera.
But I have the mind of a teenager! I really want the money. And I can't work either. Urgh.

I'm a poor hobo. I'm always broke.

But anyways, tell me how you guys nag at your parents when you want something. I want to know.

Oh yeah, does it work?

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
Okay...listen to your parents. Just wait till you're eighteen. You'll probably need it more then. When I was 12, I wanted this digital camera so very bad, so so so so very bad. My grandfather bought it for me along with an MP3 player that I really wanted. This was when digis and MP3s first came out and I didn't even use it. MP3 had a million disks and so did the digi. After a few years, I realized that I should've waited because what does a 12 year old need with a digital camera?

Just wait until you're 18.

If you don't want to, just cash it yourself. Go to Bank One and bring two IDs (your student ID and...guessing you don't have a DL, so maybe two student IDs?) cash it. Or have a friend with a credit card cash it for you. Don't wait for your parents permission. You'll get in trouble, but you'll be 250 dollars richer. probably won't last long...better hope that check is still good.

noungning

Heartless
sorry to burst ur bubble. but a check only lasts at most 1 year from the time written. so if it was never cashed, it probably has no value unless u go back to the person who issued it and get a new check. i've worked as a teller before and this is something that people overlooks alot.

just because u are 10 and a check is written to u doesn't mean save it until u're 17 to cash it. [that's the legal age to cash a check in my state]

what most ppl does is they would open a bank account with the minor. let's say they get checks for some reason, but they're young. it's required that the check only be deposited into a bank account. the bank account must have the minor and their parent or guardian on the account.

but yeah, i'm quite pursuasive, or rather, it's my way or the high way lol... um, but most of the time i tend to make a point of doing things my way so my parents are respective of my decisions. when i was younger, i did get knocked down with most of my wantings but then i eventually got it. lol i think everyone did the whole cried til their eyes popped out and closed themselves in the room, lmao...

nolee

sarNie Adult
hm, this is what im thinking, your parents prolly already cashed the check about 10 years ago lol. but i don't think im persuasive with words but with bitter action lol. when i dont get my way i'll just walk away and not talk to anyone for awhile then they'll start feeling bad or want my attention so they'd give in to me lol. it usually works 99% of the time. (; good luck with your money honey!

Mai_Pania

sarNie Egg
Joey it actually depends on your parents,
because every one's parents are different!
My method I just whine and whine!
or If my mom see's that I'm sad
that I didn't get the thing I wanted,
she'll let me buy it!
I agree you probably need the money more
when you're older, why don't you
just ask for a little money first!
They might let you use some of the
money but not all of it! So I guess
beg, whine, pretend to be sad! LOL
it works on my mom! hehehe

rukD2B

Bai Yang [♥] Fong T. Xiong
Dude, Kev. LOLs. My parents kept the check. I've only seen it, touched it once in
my entire life. Sort of sucks. I have a feeling I won't ever get to use it. Which is
why I'm trying to use it now. But thanks for the advice, if only there was a Bank
One here in the gay North Carolina place. Urgh...

And thanks Ning, for your input. Wow, I didn't know that. I wonder if my parents
do though...Anyways, I think this might lead me to getting my money. Ha, ha. JK.
But if my check expires, that sort of sucks. Is this situation for all kinds of checks?
Or is it for personal written checks only? I don't know, I'm just wondering.

And everyone else, thanks for the advice so far. LOLs. I need more. Whining doesn't
seem to help me much. Tends to get me into a crazy argument with my mom. >__<

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I think its for all kind of checks Joey. I can't believe the check was never cashed man that is such a long time. Is it a real check or like a certificate of a check? Meaning maybe they have the money saved in a particular bank for you but they gave you the certificate so that you can claim that money. Am I making any sense lol?

I myself am not too persuasive with my parents. There are certain things where they are like hell no you are not going to do that but sometimes they can be flexible. After all it is your money, they should just give it to you. However I agree with everyone else. I'm sure you will reflect later say you have to pay for your own cell phone bill or insurance or maybe even car payment and think why the heck did I want the gadget for. I actually don't think whining works unless you are a spoiled brat (no offense Mai Pania) but honestly whiny kids bug the crap out of me. You should think maybe your parents want to teach you about responsibility and that in your life you will not always have things handed to you. The real world is a bitch. So whatever you do Joey don't whine. It shows your parents that you're still childish.

Did you tell your parents why you wanted the $250? On the other hand you can always ask the gadget as a Christmas or birthday gift. Good luck Joey.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Wow....i bet your parents probably cashed it and saved it somewhere for you...but i think you should just wait until you are 18...and whatever you want...just tell them to get it for you for christmas and you will promise to shut up about your 250 bucks until you are 18...hehehe...Christmas is coming up right? Or even ur birthday...which ever one is closer...yup yup!

I am not very persuasive...at least not with my parents...shoot i ask for 20 bucks...the most i get is 5...and it's still that way...when i was young it was 20 dollars a month...and that was how it was...As of now i probably can only persuade my boifriend to get meeh whatever i want. lolz

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
OMG ChunRukNote...i didn't read ur comment ...i totally repeated ur last words...hahaha mah bad...well great minds think alike right...*smiles*

dfemc

sarNie Adult
tell them the gadget is for an educational purpose and is actually a required instrument. ;)

u must give them the pros and cons. so with that being said, the con, "u'll be at a disadvantaged in class without the gadget, n u are likely to score super low in class without it."

persuasion comes from presenting BENEFITS & LOSSES, and which outweighs which. so trust me rationale plus a touch of white lies (aka CREATIVE REASONING) works better than appealing to ppl's pity or emotions via whining ;) good luck joey.

vina_lek

i don't know. the more i ask my baby brother if he wants something like a game or game console & he says he doesn't really need it, i want to get it for him more. :lol: like he'll mention he wants something, but i don't have to get it for him type thing. ^_^

noungning

Heartless
yeah joey it's for ALL checks.

however, most checks written from companies that aren't personal checks tend to last for no more than 180 days. it's clearly but smally written on the checks, that it's voided after 180 days. heck i have one right now i need to cash.

that's why i tell my friends NEVER save up multiple pay checks and wait to cash em at once. u might forget the dates on there, it expires, and not get paid!

so where ever that check is, go pull it out now and read it. it's better to contact the issuer of the check and get a new one now than wait another 2 years to see what can happen.

and like nai said, it can be a certificate instead, which u can go to them one day and have them issue u a check because u are still a minor.

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
im ust glad ma parents are soooo easy haha i get what i want when i want and i aint an only child hahaa i never thought cheaks ran out haa well i never thought about it man learn somethin new everyday init