Anyone lives in Florida?

kobpor

sarNie Egg
Hello My Khmer Friends

Does anyone here lives in Florida? I am thinking about moving my family to Jacksonville Florida? can someone gives me some pointers? Thanks

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
I live in Kissimmee; never been to Jacksonville before, but I heard that there are a lot of Thais living there, whereas St. Petesburgh has many Lao people like myself. In Orlando, there are a lot of Vietnamese people, where you'll see many Thai/Viet restaurants and Asian Markets on a strip right before downtown. It gets really humid and hot here in the summertime. We have a lot of afternoon storms during the summer months and ofcourse followed by sunshine later on. The people is nice and there are a lot of places and things to do.

In April, we've got the Lao New year celebration in Samford. I'm not sure where the Khmers hold their new year though.

Other than that, I love Florida! There's no where I'd rather live.

Khatiya

sarNie Adult
Visited the state of Florida many times hitting different locations. I've heard that Jacksonville has a lot of Khmer. Still less than California, of course but majority that lives in Florida reside in Jacksonville. At least this is what I heard.

And yeah, Orlando has lots of Viets. They even have their mini Vietnamese strip market? Not sure what they call it but it's an area consist of many Vietnamese stores.

Everytime I visit Florida, I am more a tourist therefore, always checking out what ppl rave about Florida. So far, I enjoy the Miami area the most. One thing I dislike is the humidity. It makes me feel icky, gross and sweaty can't wait to just shower. Like every states, there are pros and cons. You just have to go with your priorities and see what you can live with, or without.

rakcharm

sarNie Juvenile
i like miami the most too but i know it's nowhere near jacksonville. but the weather in florida is a bit too extreme for me. yeah i don't like the southern states because of that and crocodiles lol

buklaoboi360

sarNie Adult
i live in jacksonville florida there isnt alot much too do here except beach and the st johns town center but one thing there isnt that much asian stores only a few but there is alot of thai chineese vietnamies and korean restraunt !!! ooh and btw the weather over here is sometimes cold windy and hot so the weather offten changes alot but you'll like it here !!

kobpor

sarNie Egg
i live in jacksonville florida there isnt alot much too do here except beach and the st johns town center but one thing there isnt that much asian stores only a few but there is alot of thai chineese vietnamies and korean restraunt !!! ooh and btw the weather over here is sometimes cold windy and hot so the weather offten changes alot but you'll like it here !!
Thanks all for all your replys. Really Appreciated.

buklaoboi360, What part of Jacksonville do you live in? Do you have any recommendation of any areas that has less crime/good areas? How much the average rent for a 2 bedroom apartment?
Thanks so much..

I have lived in Jacksonville for most if not all of my life. It doesn't have the big city feel, but there's a lot to do if you know where to go. We have NFL and college games during football season. We host the College Gator Bowl game annually and have our very own NFL team, the Jaguars. Go Jaguars! There's the shrimp, blues, jazz and many other festivals throughout the year. There's lots of concert venues as well. We're right on the beach, close to St. Augustine (oldest city), 2 hour drive from Orlando, and close to snazzy resort towns like Fernandina and Amelia Island. If you have any kids who are college bound...well, there's many to choose from and not too long of a distance from major players like FSU and UF.

It's a good a place to raise a family; there's lots of areas to choose from. Like most cities and towns there are bad pockets throughout the city. As far as crimes go, we're ranked pretty high. I don't know what the comparison is to, but there's always something bad on the news. Those areas are usually the North and Northwest of town; however, crime can happen anywhere even in the richest of neighborhoods.

Good luck on your decision to move. If you do decide to move here send me a note. I'd be happy to share additional insight.

BBS

wonderful

sarNie Egg
I've been in Florida all my life. From what I kniw, St. Petersburg has a rather big Khmer population. During Khmer New Year, the Buddhist temples in St. Petersburg and Orlando throw parties too since those are the two places, from what I know, where most Khmers gather.

Sorry// did not notice the timestamp, lol.