A Smile in Your Heart

sarN

sarNie Granny
Nice update and so length I like it . I can picture it all, you so wordy haha and Sylvia is such a hateful character

sarNie Adult
Chapter 9 – The Prince, The Pauper and The Lady

Yaya clutched her lunch bag against her chest, feeling almost the same level of nervousness that she felt as she competed in taekwondo matches. Yet this was a different kind of battle – one that is hardly fought and yet not quite easily won.

It’s true you know, how a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.

Fair’s words over a week ago echoed in her mind. He said the words as they stayed in that same rooftop where she now sat waiting, waiting for him. It was lunch break at CCV and it became a usual thing for her and Fair to eat their packed lunches at the rooftop. Before she used to bring a little extra food to let him taste her mom’s cooking, but lately he had hinted that he was interested in tasting something which she herself made. Of course she was thrilled at the idea of cooking something for him, and yet she couldn’t help but feel unsure especially considering the cooking mishaps she’s had in the past.

Again she clutched the bag even tighter to herself, having faith yet lacking confidence in her labor of love. Inside the lunch bag was a box of cookies which she baked early that morning. She woke up before sunrise, hoping to be in the kitchen before her mother woke up to make breakfast. She had anticipated making a mess, and sure enough the kitchen counters looked like a flour bomb exploded in them, yet somehow she was able to clean up everything just in time.

Not without her best friend’s help of course.

She remembered how her heart nearly popped out of her chest when she heard the sound of their gates creaking at five in the morning, followed by sounds of careful footsteps and the familiar sound of a bike getting parked right outside the kitchen’s window.

“What are you doing here?!” She gasped as she looked out the window and saw James carefully removing his bag and placing it upon his bike as silently as he could.
He turned around and lifted his finger to his lips, motioning for her to be quiet. He then grinned and sneaked up towards the front door where she quickly dragged him inside.

“What are you doing here?” she asked once more, partly anxious yet partly amused at the situation.

“Silly, you messaged me that you were making cookies at 4 a.m., I got curious,” he whispered. Then he placed his hand over his lips in an effort to stifle a grin and he added, “Actually, I got worried.”

Yaya playfully grabbed his arm with both her hands and dragged him even further inside the kitchen. “You’re crazy! I sent you a private message on Line so it wasn’t supposed to make a sound. I was hoping you’d see it once you were awake. Don’t tell me you were awake at 4 a.m.! What were you doing up at 4 a.m.?!”

James sighed and ran a hand through his hair and said, “Woke up from a bad dream.”

Her expression changed into a serious one and she narrowed her eyes to focus on his as she touched his arm worriedly. “Is it like before? Did you fall from a building again in your dream?” she whispered sympathetically as she rubbed her hand up and down his back in an effort to comfort him.

He looked at her with his quiet gaze which slowly softened and brightened up into a smile that reached his heart. He looked down as if to compose himself and moments later, he looked up at her with a grin. “Well, I can’t remember much of it now, but perhaps I dreamt of you burning the kitchen down, so I had to run here as fast as I could.”

“Grr! Why do I even-!” Yaya grumbled as she playfully pinched her best friend’s arm again. Truth be told she had hoped he would see her message immediately after she sent it. Had that not been the case then she wouldn’t have sent it in the first place. While she did not expect it to happen as she had hoped, she was surprised to see him there with her at that hour. She was sure that James would come if he saw it – and sure enough he did.

James took a sharp intake of breath as he saw the state the kitchen was in. Yaya was not even able to speak a word before he grabbed a towel and started cleaning.

“Auntie’s gonna freak out when she sees this!” James gasped once more before he started working without her even having to ask. He moved efficiently, cleaning and arranging everything in sight just as quickly as she made a mess out of everything earlier. She had noticed the way his hands always moved with precision and the way he always seemed to have a system of fixing things and putting things in order. He had been like that ever since they were children. How many toys had she had that were broken and were fixed by his own hands? Not just toys, even her bike, her school projects, heck, he fixed even their clogged bathroom sink. It was a wonder how adept he was with his hands, especially considering he never had to lift a finger in the first place. She was well aware of how (very) rich his family truly was and yet he never had an air of arrogance about him – and to her he was and had always been the same good old James, who was ready to help and willing to solve any kind of problem that she had. Michelle and Dao tell her to stay away from him as he is a clumsy and awkward nerd, but what they don’t know is that he’s the most reliable and capable person she had ever known. He never let her down and she doubted he ever would.

“Hmmm…?” James stopped mopping the floor briefly as he noticed her eyes focused on him. Suddenly conscious, he gripped the handle of the mop tightly and took a cautious step back. “Oy Yaya, what is it?” he asked, with a tentative look on his eyes. “Is there something on my face?”

She shook her head as she snapped out of her reverie. With a chuckle, she grabbed the small towel from her apron and approached James. “You have flour all over!” She placed one hand on his arm to hold him still as she dusted his shirt off with her towel. She then moved her hands and reached up to wipe his cheek then dust his hair, and then she used the edges of the towel with her finger to swipe the flour off the lens of his glasses.

He held his breath as he clutched the mop even tighter, suddenly aware of how close Yaya was to him. He couldn’t help but stare at her when she dropped her hands to her sides after cleaning his glasses. She easily met his gaze and she moved her slightly parted lips as though to speak and yet no words came out of her mouth. Instead they remained still and looked at each other closely.

He unconsciously leaned down, closing in and putting a shorter distance between their faces until he felt her fingers squeezing his arm.

“The cookies!” she gasped, breaking the spell as she quickly moved away. She grabbed the mittens by the oven and opened the cover.

He shook his head and tried to compose himself. He was just about to put away the mop back to the storage room when the smell of sugar and cinnamon suddenly filled the air. He turned towards the direction of the oven, closed his eyes and wafted the aroma. He saw Yaya smiling at him when he opened his eyes.

“It’s done!” She said excitedly.

He smiled once before he kept the mop and just as excitedly walked back to where Yaya stood. Carefully, she drew out the baking tray and placed it on the clean counter. He reached out to grab one cookie and was met with a light slap on the hand, with Yaya’s light admonishment that it was still too hot to touch. Instead he grabbed a chair and sat down patiently, as his eyes moved over each cookie.

“P’Fair said he loved eating cookies with coffee,” she said, her eyes lighting up with her smile. “I’ve been practicing hard. Do you think he’ll like it?”

James frowned as he avoided her gaze and instead he touched the tray tentatively as if to see if it was still warm. “It’s the same recipe as the cookies you made for me the other week?” he mumbled softly, almost in a whisper. She wasn’t sure why he looked so serious. She thought perhaps he was carefully examining the cookies now that they were cooling out of the oven.

“You said it needed more cinnamon so I added an extra dash of it. I also used more honey, instead of sugar,” she said as she got a spatula and carefully slipped it under one cookie to separate it from the wax paper.

“But what if I like cinnamon more than he does?” he asked as he focused on the cookies, not even sparing her a single glance.

She hadn’t thought of that. She had never cooked cookies for anyone other than James before. He’s right. What if Fair doesn’t like it? Feeling a bit disheartened, she sat down on the chair across James and remained silent as she clutched the spatula.   

James finally lifted his head to look at her. Noticing her pout, he briefly turned away to grab one cookie and popped it into his mouth. He blew on it while it was on his mouth, perhaps because it was still too hot to be eaten. Without speaking a word he went to the ref and grabbed a carton of milk.

“I still have some cookie dough left. Perhaps I can add more sugar… or something…”

James returned to the counter with a glass of milk. He went back to his seat and continued eating the cookie with a blank expression on his face.

“James…?” she asked worriedly, unsure of what his verdict was.

He lifted his head, gulped down the cookie and slowly gave her a wide toothed grin. “It’s good. Really, really good.” He then grabbed the remnant of the cookie he bit and showed it to her, “see, even when the one I got was burnt.”

“Gaaah!” She exclaimed as she noticed that indeed, more than half of the cookies were a dark shade of brown after they cooled down. “Oh no! What do I do?!”

James laughed as he got another cookie and took a big bite. “Hey at least you didn’t burn down the kitchen!”

She grumbled incoherently as she stood up and went behind James and playfully shook his shoulders. “I have to make another batch.”

He merely grinned as he watched her get the cookie dough from the ref and placed it beside the cookie trays. She grabbed one batch from the wax paper and was just about to throw it away when James’s hand grabbed hers to stop her.

“Hey! What are you doing?” He gasped.

Yaya shook her head and said, “This batch won’t do. I have to bake the rest. I’ll just throw these away so I can use the tray.”

“But I’m still eating it.” James muttered as he grabbed another burnt cookie.

“Eh! James!” She gasped, almost appalled as he popped the burnt cookie into his mouth right after he tore away a piece of wax paper that got stuck into it. “It’s bunt! Doesn’t it taste bad?”

“No,” he said defiantly, as he grabbed another cookie. “I said it was good, didn’t I? I like the cinnamon in it.” He then picked a piece in one corner of the tray that wasn’t burnt and looked just fine. “Here, try it yourself.”

Yaya got the piece from James and ate it. Her face brightened up as she realized that he was right. She hasn’t baked one that tasted this good.

“Here,” He said as he pulled the burnt cookies which were still in the wax paper and placed it on the counter. “Let me have this batch, please?” He smiled at her before he turned away and added, “After all the next batch will be for Arch. Gundon.”

That’s right, she thought, the next batch will be for P’Fair. Gaining back her resolve, she proceeded to roll the dough and used the cookie cutter to make a new batch of cookies to bake. She was close to perfecting it. She will get it right this time.

She turned around after placing the tray back on the oven and saw that James was still grabbing the cookies from the wax paper and was gingerly placing them in a plastic container.

“Are you sure you want to eat those? We ought to throw it away,” Yaya said as she sat down across him again.

He gave her a lopsided grin as he got a deformed burnt cookie and ate it. “Of all the other cookies you baked. This batch is the best for me, how can I not eat it instead of letting it go to waste?”

She laughed half-indignantly and said, “Was I really that bad?”

“Well, at least this one I got to eat. The earlier ones all disintegrated before seeing the light of day.”

At his words they both laughed and they realized that the elders in the house were still asleep so they placed their hands over their mouths to stifle their giggles.

James then picked another less burnt cookie and extended his hand to give it to her. She grabbed it with her mouth and he then stood up to get another glass of milk. “Here, it’s good with this one,” he said and they continued to eat the first batch of cookies together.

Finally the second batch was done and like expectant parents, they both looked at the oven nervously. Yaya finally grabbed open the door and pulled out the cookies. Again the smell of cinnamon and honey filled the air and made their mouths water. The second batch looked way better than the first one and Yaya had never felt better.

Again she took a spatula and flicked one cookie, and it easily came off from the wax paper. She was glad to see that she basted this batch well this time around. She held the cookie in her hand and blew on it carefully. She looked at James and smiled and he likewise gave her one smile before he turned away. He then proceeded to grab the rest of the kitchen tools she used and placed them on the sink.

She was just about to call him to make him try the cookie when she when he started whistling while his back was to her. She heard the sound of running water and she realized that he was washing the dishes already.

She shrugged and took a bite off the cookie, thinking she’ll just… she forgot the rest of her thoughts as she tasted it. She knew it was bad to brag but she had never made anything taste so good. She felt that it was close to the cookies that her mom made.

“James! James! It’s perfect!” she exclaimed as she excitedly went to his side and offered the rest of the cookie for him to taste. Yet instead of turning his head, he remained focused on his work, appearing to scrub the cookie cutter carefully and getting the tiniest piece of dough out of the thing.

“I’m sure it’s good. I can already tell from its aroma when you took it out of the oven,” he said calmly.

“But you have to try it, it’s really good. I’m not kidding.”

He chuckled and said, “I’m feeling kinda full. I think I’ve had enough cookies for a day,” he said. He turned away from her to bend down and put the cookie cutter in the dryer then added, “Besides, those are for Arch. Gundon, right?”

Yaya tried one last time to make him grab a bite as she placed her hand near his mouth, yet he just turned the other way and said, “No.”

“Hmph!” feigning annoyance for being rebuffed, she walked back to the counter and started taking out the new batch of cookies from the wax paper. She then placed them in a small yet ornate box right beside the plastic container which contained the remnants of the first batch of cookies. She noticed the stark contrast between the dark deformed burnt cookies of the first batch and the perfectly shaped golden brown cookies of the second batch. This truly was the best batch of cookies she had ever made in her life. She wondered if P’Fair would like it.

“He’ll like it,” James said, as though reading her thoughts. He wiped his hands with a towel as he walked back to the counter where Yaya stood silently.

“You think so?” she asked tentatively.

“I know so,” he said with finality. “If he dares not touch them once it’s offered to him, I will grab it away from him!” James then tied the kitchen towel around his head like a bandana then placed his hands on his waist and gave out an evil laugh. “I am a cookie phantom!”

“A cookie phantom? What the hell is that?” Yaya couldn’t help but laugh at his randomness.                

“A cookie phantom is a notorious thief who steals cookies, even the burnt ones,” he said as he pretended to reach out to grab one cookie from the box which was then met with a playful karate chop from Yaya’s hand. “Well, at least only those that are made by the fire breathing chef, Yaya, who specializes on burnt cookies.”

“Hah!” she gasped indignantly once more as she grabbed the towel from James’s head and proceeded to tickle his sides in retaliation. He avoided her hands by skipping away they started their game of chase, just like when they were little children.

“You seem to be in high spirits today Ms. Sperbund,” a deep yet gentle voice brought her back to the present and shook her out of her recollection of what happened earlier that day. She straightened out in her seat just when Fair took his place right beside her. Vaguely she wondered if he thought her to be insane after seeing her laugh on her own as she sat alone in the rooftop before he came.

Contrary to what she thought, Fair couldn’t help but smile himself after seeing the joy in her eyes. Whatever she thought of must have been amusing indeed for her smile was infectious. Apart from that, her smile just made her even more beautiful. He wondered what it was that she was thinking about … he wondered…

“I hope you were not thinking of something to tease me about,” Fair joked, meaning it half-heartedly, “Although I wouldn’t mind as much if you had been thinking about me.”

At this Yaya blushed, thinking that indeed she had been thinking about him, ever since she woke up early that morning. The apprehension briefly entered her chest once more and she felt unsure on whether she should bring out the box from her lunch box or not.

Thinking about the ‘Cookie Phantom’, she finally let out one chuckle and brought out the box before she chickened out again.

“I had been thinking of something – not to tease you with, mind you, but for you try,” she said softly, almost shyly as she offered him the box.

He gave her a curious look but accepted the box nonetheless. He eyed her once, hoping to ask her permission to open it, to which she replied with a nod. Then he let out a small gasp as he saw the cookies inside the box.

“Cinnamon cookies!” he said, as his face brightened up into a smile that showed his dimples. “I love these.”

He quickly dug into the box and got a perfectly shaped, golden brown cookie and looked at it from side to side.

“Oh. I’m sorry. Excitement got the better of me, may I?” he asked.

“Sure, it’s … well… it is for you.” She mumbled under her breath as she felt her cheeks burning.

He took a bite off the cookie and smiled once more. “Hey, it’s good! Where’d you get it?”

Yaya bent her head down timidly and said, “I made it. Just this morning.”

“Oho…” Fair popped the rest of it into his mouth and took another one with his fingers. “It’s true then Ms. Sperbund. It seems that you are capable of anything and everything!”

She chuckled as he said the words, suddenly feeling so glad when she realized that all her hard work had been worth it.

“Aren’t you going to eat your lunch first?” Yaya said as she watched him eat the third cookie.

He stopped chewing, as though he were suddenly embarrassed then placed the box in his side by the bench. He cleared his throat then said, “Well… the cookies taste waaaay better than my packed leftovers from last night. I’m sorry. I got a bit carried away.”

“I’m glad you liked them!” she replied as she laughed once more. “Perhaps you could show your appreciation by telling me the rest of your story,” she said as she threw him a mischievous look.

“What story?” he asked, with a small frown.

“That story about the girl you liked back in college!” she said with a coy smile.

He shook his head and grinned. “You’re a strange one, Ms. Sperbund. How could I show my gratitude to a woman by talking about another woman?”

“But I insist. Tell me, what did you do to get her approval? Remember?” She said as she goaded him with her bright smile.

Fair shook his head once and grinned. “All right, all right,” he said as he turned on the bench slightly to look at her. “I had to learn how to be a proper gentleman right?” He stopped and looked to his side, appearing to be embarrassed.

“Go on,” Yaya said as she looked at him with her wide eyes.

He looked at her tentatively and said, “Well, this is something I’m not sure I should be proud of but…” He looked at her and wondered how she will take it. “I don’t know if you’ll look at me the same way if I tell you…”

“Just spill P’Fair!” She then slapped her hand over her mouth as the words came out. P’Fair… Oh no… I called him P’Fair again…and while at CCV too…

He was caught off guard when he heard it, but not in the way Yaya thought. He straightened in his seat, suddenly wanting her to call him that way again.
“I’m sorry… Arch…”

“It’s all right.” He smiled, that dimple bearing smile of his once more and added, “I like it when you call me that.”

Embarrassed, she bent her head and clenched her fist against her skirt.

“No really, I really don’t mind. Not at all,” he said with that kind voice of his as he lightly placed his hand on his arm to urge her to look at him. “I’ve wanted to call you by your nickname so bad… but I decided not to, until your 240 hours are over, lest I forget myself.”

His words successfully made her look up at him, with her mouth hanging slightly open.

“You… you may call me that, if you want to.” It was his turn to feel embarrassed as he looked away slightly, “I really don’t mind you know.”

She nodded once and he cleared his throat, looking for a way to break the awkward situation.

“Well… anyway, I… um…” Fair suddenly looked even more embarrassed, unable to tell her the rest of the story.

“What is it? If you don’t want to then you don’t have to tell me Arch. - ”

“-Pee.. It’s okay!” he said as he placed his hand on her upper arm once more. “All right. I’ll say it. So you wouldn’t have to be embarrassed to call me P’Fair.” He shook his head and grinned, realizing how childish he was being. “I guess when I tell you the secret, then you’ll know something about me not a lot of people know. Maybe then you’ll have  a reason to call me something less reverent than Architect Gundon.

He breathed in deeply once, as though drawing in some courage and then finally said, “In order to train to be a gentleman, I had this fine idea,” he rolled his eyes to let her know he was being sarcastic when he said it, “to work … as a waiter in a posh, high-end and exclusive French restaurant.”

“Huh?” Yaya tilted her head, not quite sure she heard it right. “You worked as a waiter?”

Fair looked at her, trying to gauge her reaction at his embarrassing confession. He chuckled once and said “It’s quite silly isn’t it. You thought I acted like a Khun Chai when really I just learned from being a servant.” He grinned self-deprecatingly.

“No… I think… it’s quite amazing,” Yaya said seriously as she placed a comforting hand against his knee. “It’s quite smart, now that I think about it. You’ll learn all about table setting, wines, deboning a fish, removing shells from snails and crab – and you get paid for it too!”

He saw the sincerity in her eyes and he bent down slightly as he chuckled, still feeling a bit embarrassed. “Well… as I said, I was just a country boy from the province, studying in the big city through a scholarship. I really didn’t have much, and yet she was a posh uptown girl and all that. I had no means to get etiquette classes and heaven knows I was too shy to join the dancing club so the best alternative that I had was that.”

“That is amazing,” she said, her eyes brightening up as she spoke. “What was it like? I don’t think I’ve ever been to a French restaurant before.”

“It is as snooty as it gets. We were taught how to comb our hair, and wear cravats, waistcoats and cuffs for special occasions, like when dignitaries come and eat at the restaurant. Of course we were taught the basic table manners, as well as how to wait on guests, especially the ladies.” He looked at her teasingly and lifted his eyebrows.

She grinned at his words and suddenly imagined him looking like a European prince, like those in black-and-white movies that her mom used to watch.

He stood up suddenly and bowed slightly, moving his hands over his heart as though he had a towel hanging from his arm, “What are you having, mademoiselle? May I offer you a glass of merlot?”

She placed her hand over her mouth, partly to stifle a giggle, and partly to hide her embarrassment. His eyes were so dreamy as he spoke, and just when she thought he could not get any more handsome, he spoke in French:

“Enchanté mademoiselle. Comment allez-vous?”

They looked at each other and they both grinned.

“Don’t worry. That’s about the only French that I know. Well, after thank you, good afternoon, I’m sorry and goodbye, of course.” There was that other standard French phrase, Fair thought, but realized it was hardly appropriate to say it now, especially considering his former boss taught him the proper pronunciation after work hours, while he was tipsy with wine.

Khun Chai or not, Yaya was convinced that his plan worked. She had never met a guy so dashing and so graceful as fair.

When she still did not speak, Fair sat down beside her once more and sighed. “Well, I do hope you wouldn’t remember me as a waiter when you see me in a black suit next time.”

“Oh! I wouldn’t dare!” she said in a surprised tone. Seeing the glint of amusement in his eyes, she added, “Unless you speak in French again, I suppose!”

He laughed, expecting nothing less from the witty lady beside him. He coughed once self consciously and finally said, “That’s good then. Had that not been the case then I wouldn’t even dare to ask you as a date to the Founder’s Ball next week.” He cast a sideward glance and waited for her reaction. Seeing none, he repeated the words, more definitely this time, “Would you give me the honor of being your escort to the Founder’s Ball?”

She looked at him with her wide brown eyes and he couldn’t quite paint her expression. Was I too forward? Did she have other plans? Did she hear what I said? The questions all ran in his head after he said it.

She heard him the first time yet she was just too shocked to speak. She and Fair on a … date? She gulped as she realized the ramifications of what he just said. A ball – a date – it’s almost like a dream. She had not even taken her prom seriously, and now she was in this situation. A ball… and P’Fair…

“I…” Yaya started unable to say what she really wanted to say. YES YES YES! It’s a dream come true!! She was sure that what her heart was screaming would not be the best words to say.

“Uh… this is a bit awkward. I’m sorry. Did I mess things up?” Fair mumbled as he ran a hand through his hair.

“No! Not at all,” she replied and when Fair stiffened even more in his seat, she quickly bit out, “What I mean is, no, don’t be embarrassed, please. Yes. I would love to go with you to the Founder’s Ball!”

Suddenly relieved, the both of them breathed out the deep breaths they didn’t know they were holding. When they realized just how nervous they both were, they suddenly ended up laughing together.

“Ah… well, I guess we have to celebrate by eating more of these cookies,” Fair said, as they tried to catch their breaths and got the box and put it in between the two of them. “I have to say, I am not really that fond of cinnamon but this is the best cookie I’ve ever eaten. I guess it’s the honey.”

She calmed down as she watched him savor another perfectly shaped cookie with just two big bites. James was right, they might have had different tastes, but she was glad that he liked it just the same. She looked at the box and saw several more perfectly shaped cookies that stayed intact and maintaining their golden brown hue.

“Say… do you mind if I get some?” Yaya asked as she looked more closely at the box.

“Oh, not at all; sure go ahead and get as many as you like. You made those after all,” he replied as he continued to enjoy his cookie. “Just hope you’ll make some cookies for me again soon.”

She grinned shyly as she nodded. She got her clear lunch box and got three perfectly shaped pieces, thinking of giving it to James after she remembered the pitiful lot he packed on his bag earlier.

Fair wondered why she packed the cookies instead of eating them straight just like he did. He figured she was probably saving it for snacks that afternoon or perhaps she was just too modest to eat it in front of him. Whatever it was, he was warmed by the thought that she actually baked cookies for him.

----------------------------------------

James pulled his bike carefully and looked at the ominous CCV Building as its lights brightened up its glass panels against the darkness of the night sky. He hadn’t thought it to be so daunting the first time he saw it when he brought Yaya for the first day of her internship, but now that he looked at it again, he found that his view of the building completely changed.

Inside the building worked the man who threatened to take away his happiness, and yet it was the same man who brought her joy. It was a place that his love had always dreamed to be in, yet it was the same place he never wanted her to be at, ever again.

He bit his lip and asked the heavens’ forgiveness for his selfishness. He knew he shouldn’t get jealous over a damned box of cookies, but felt it just the same. He wondered how much merit he had to make to get over this transgression.

On top of that, he realized that he must make even more merit, this time because of his impatience. Auntie had called him, asking him if he knew where Yaya was and it automatically turned on the alarms in his head. Even when Auntie assured him that she was probably just not yet done in her internship work for the day, the mere thought that she wasn’t where she was supposed to be at that hour sent him on a panicked frenzy. He messaged her immediately asking where she was, and when she replied a curt “CCV,” he still felt unsettled.

He parked his bike by the entry way and thought of whether he should go in and fetch her or not. Thoughts of the wicked marketing associate, Sylvia, or even the debonair that is Fair just worsened his exasperation.

Calm down James, calm down he mumbled to himself like a mantra as he paced in front of the building. Just when he gathered his resolve to go in, he suddenly heard the familiar sound of her laughter.

He straightened out beside his bike as he clutched the straps of his backpack even tighter to himself. He stood frozen, unsure of whether he should hide or stand his ground. Yaya decided for him when she finally turned his way and called his name in a near shout.

“James!” she exclaimed as she walked briskly almost to the point of running to where he was. He smiled at her then and placed his hand to his sides, unconsciously opening his arms to her. When he moved his head, his line of vision revealed that Fair walked casually behind her, and soon they found each other to be face to face.

“James! What are you doing here?” Yaya asked excitedly, as she placed her hand by his arm.

He looked away from Fair and focused on Yaya, smiling subtly once more. “It’s quite late and you weren’t home yet. I know the commute back home would be quite difficult with the traffic. I already told Uncle Pat to come fetch us here.”

“You took your bike?” She asked bewilderedly, “From school to here?”

Not knowing how to reply, he chuckled as he placed is hand at the back of his head. “It’s not as far as you think, you know.”

“Still, you could’ve been hurt. It’s already dark and rush hour had begun,” she muttered, admonishing him, just when he thought it was he who was going to reprimand her for staying in the office past her normal internship hours.

“You have to give James more credit, Ms. Sperbund,” Fair chuckled as he approached the two. “He’s right. It’s not convenient for you to go home at this hour, especially with the traffic.” He looked at James and how meek and plain he looked and Fair realized that was probably how the heir to AIS Holdings managed to have the same freedom as an average college student. Who would have thought that a billionaire would go around Bangkok in a bicycle?

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have allowed you to work so late. The fault is mine James, I’m sorry.” He said as he moved his hands for a solemn wai which James returned half-heartedly.  “Why don’t you guys allow me to treat you out to dinner to make amends? I can bring you home afterwards.”

“That would be grea-”

“No.”

The two of them spoke at the same time and Yaya had to turn around to give James and incredulous stare. “James, what’s wrong?”

He looked away briefly and raked his mind for an excuse. “I…uh…. Have a class tomorrow at eight in the morning. Don’t you have an elective scheduled around that time too, Yaya? It’s already dinnertime, and the restaurants are surely full. If we still wait to be seated then…”

Her eyes widened even further to glare at him after hearing his words. It’s not like they were going to a restaurant in the first place, Yaya thought, they could have gone on a hawker food street or at a fast food chain.

Fair supposed a rich kid like James would expect nothing less, after all, how can he ask the son of Thailand’s hotel tycoon to eat pork satay and drink a can of beer on an open street? He looked at Yaya just when she likewise looked at him and he smiled and nodded once.

“Perhaps I can just drive you home then. Your ride might still be stuck in traffic somewhere. It will be faster if we just leave from here.”

Again James thought of the right words to politely decline yet decided not to speak up as quickly this time. Yaya focused on her best friend and easily read what he wanted to say. What was wrong with him? Did he still feel uncomfortable around P’Fair?

“It’s all right, P’Fair, Uncle Pat might be near already,” She finally said, “You should go home and rest too. Our houses might be out of the way from where you live.”

Fair would have argued had he not seen the passing look between James and Yaya. With that he nodded and was about to take his leave when he suddenly remembered.

“By the way James, since you are here, I would like to personally give you the invite to the Founder’s Ball,” Fair said as he lifted his leather suitcase and rummaged for something.

At the mention of Founder’s Ball, James noticed that Yaya’s eyes brightened in an instant and the familiar smile blossomed in her face. Yet before he could observe her face further, Fair got his attention by handing him a white envelope.

“Mr. Chesney specifically requested for your presence after I informed him of your plans for the Tools Innovation Program. I have to say, he was quite impressed and he’s looking forward to meeting you soon.”

James nodded as he looked at the invite. The fancy calligraphy and the scented paper quickly alerted him that it was no ordinary event. It was one of those white-tie events that required a lot of idle talk and fake manners. He had been forced to attend so many of those with his parents. Oddly enough, those were the some of the few times he had spent time with his parents.

“Ms. Sperbund and I will be there of course,” Fair said then narrowed his eyes to see James’s full reaction before he added, “You can bring your date too, if you like, especially considering I already asked Ms. Sperbund the honor of being mine.”

When Yaya gasped at his words, he gave a conscious cough, and added, “To be my date, I mean.”

James looked at nothing in particular before he finally lifted his gaze to look at Fair. He maintained a nonchalant expression, as though he invoked a mask of calm. And yet…

There was something in his eyes. Yaya noticed right away that there was a look she had not seen before in James’s eyes. Whatever it was, it sent a chill at the back of her neck.

“Then… I must definitely go,” James said, finally breaking his silence. He smiled a lopsided smile and calmly replaced the invitation back inside the envelope. “I’m sure Auntie would allow you to go with me as Yaya’s chaperone.”

“Hmm?” Yaya gasped indignantly once more as she glared at James. What was he talking about now? A chaperone? They were past legal age now for crying out loud! Who needs a chaperone?! They went to the prom without any formalities and yet now…

Fair chuckled at James’s words and nodded. “Thank you very much for your assistance James, I will be looking forward to it. Please excuse the inconvenience and please do not hesitate to guide me accordingly.” He moved once more for another solemn wai, which James likewise returned.

“The pleasure is all mine, Arch. Gundon.”

Soon the awkward moment was dispelled when they heard the familiar sound of a car approach. Just then, a vintage German-made sedan stopped by the steps of the CCV building and soon the window was brought down to reveal Uncle Pat’s face.

“It looks like our ride is here, we best be on our way,” James said as he pulled his bike with one hand and gently pulled Yaya by her arm with the other hand. “Good evening Arch. Gundon.”

“Good evening James, Ms. Sperbund.”

“Good night P’Fair,” Yaya murmured as she gave him a final wai and walked away. Fair gave them one final wave and went to the other direction.

Just when Uncle Pat was securing James’s bike on the car, Yaya suddenly pulled James to the side to talk to him.

“What happened James? Is something wrong?” she asked, unable to keep the irritation from showing in her voice.

“N…nothing!” he replied as he turned away slightly, not wanting to get stuck under Yaya’s scrutiny.

“Yes there is. I don’t understand James, what’s happening to you?” She asked as she placed her hand upon his arm.

He turned his head and upon her nudging and was not able to mask the raw feelings in his eyes. She was taken aback slightly, completely unable to read what was in his eyes. She knew him from head to toe, knew everything about James’s past, his secrets, and yet the feelings he showed her now, through his eyes, were something she had never seen before.

“James…?” She asked once more, “Was it something I-”

“-Yes.” he bit out then he breathed in once and looked at her again, this time with a softened expression and said, “No.”

“What is it really?” she asked again as she squeezed his arm with her hands. She felt so uneasy seeing him so agitated when he was usually so calm and collected that she almost thought that nothing could faze him. He was currently showing her a side of him which he very rarely showed. And she blamed that reason for her inability to know what was going on in his head. “James, I wouldn’t know if you wouldn’t tell me.”

I’m jealous. I feel hopeless that you can’t see. I’m mad that I can’t be him. I’m hurt that it is not me.

“I was worried, okay?” he said, a bit more forcefully than he had wanted.

Just then Uncle Pat noticed the tension in the air that he had to stop fastening the bike to observe the two.

Frustrated at still not knowing what was wrong with James in the first place, Yaya lifted her hands and grumbled, “It’s not like I’m a kid James, jeez! Don’t you trust me?”

It’s him I don’t trust. I don’t even trust myself anymore, not with you.

“Of course I trust you, but it’s not that,” James finally said as he lifted his hand to his eyes and covered is face as he pushed back his glasses.

“Then what is it?” she asked once more exasperatedly.

“Nothing… it’s nothing.”

She quickly unzipped her lunch box and pulled out something. He almost thought she was going to hurl at him whatever it was that she took out. Instead, she merely pushed the plastic container roughly against his chest and walked away. She quietly sat beside Uncle Pat in the front seat of the vehicle although she loudly closed the door for James to hear. He then gingerly got the container and examined it, hearing it make a sound as he turned it over.

Carefully he opened the lid and saw golden brown cinnamon cookies that crumbled and broke into half, possibly from impact. Yet there was one that stayed intact and he reverently lifted it with his fingers. He gulped, suddenly feeling unworthy of eating it after he realized how he angered Yaya. Yet there was nothing more that he wanted than to taste the perfect batch of cookies that she made with love. They were leftovers, yes, and he was well aware that they weren’t made for him, yes. But still he longed to taste it – and the opportunity to do so presented itself now.

Beggars can’t be choosers he knew, yet he felt his throat drying up and his tongue getting numb as he saw her sit stiffly inside the car. He then sighed and replaced the cookie back carefully inside the plastic container and proceed to board the back seat of the car.

“Let’s go Uncle Pat,” he murmured sadness and remorse apparent on his voice.

Uncle Pat had to look at his charge from the rear view mirror and noticed how tightly he clutched a square object to his chest. He knew Yaya would not be able to see it as James sat right behind her, yet if she only saw how his poor charge’s eyes bore down against her seat’s head rest, as though he longed to melt the thing and see Yaya’s head, then the girl would probably find it in her heart to forgive him for whatever it was that they fought over.

While waiting for his turn in one of the intersections, Uncle Pat then subtly cast a glance on Yaya who was right beside him. He was surprised to see her mum and close to tears, so far from her usual happy self. He was sure that she already forgave his charge but only felt guilty for whatever it was that she said or did to him.

Uncle Pat breathed out, trying his best not to laugh at the two. Oh to be young again, he thought, realizing his passengers were no better than they were ten years ago. These two were really the best of friends, and yet the worst of enemies as they had no space in their hearts to hate each other. If only these two knew how things really were; if only these two knew what he and the other elders around them knew all along. Perhaps they’d be more than just best friends.

Oh young love. Uncle Pat shook his head, and tried to think of whether he should talk things over with Kitti or not. Maybe if he gives me bottle of whiskey. Of course some grilled prawns wouldn’t hurt too!

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Awe. It's so sad. James has to hold in his feelings all the time. I'm loving the interactions between James and Fair. Can't wait to hear more about Fair and his past lover. :)

Accalia

sarNie Egg
Love this fic,. Shipping Jirassaya hard.

Just a little question here, is it true that James gay? I know he said 'No' but watched his fanclub clips (Jamesji Lism youtube channel.) I was confused. Please if anyone can help me clarify this.

Thanks a lot :)

sarNie Adult
Hehe, Accalia, hello! Welcome to the forums! The question as to whether James Ji is gay.. well, I guess only he knows the answer hehe. But in my own personal opinion based on what I've seen of him, I think he is not gay. I based it on the way his ears always turn red in his intimate scenes with Yaya in NNS. I guess body reactions cannot lie. He just acts like he's gay all the time hahaha. He is quite a playful monkey after all.

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Accalia said:

Just a little question here, is it true that James gay? I know he said 'No' but watched his fanclub clips (Jamesji Lism youtube channel.) I was confused. Please if anyone can help me clarify this.

I'm pretty sure he's not gay, it's just his baby face that makes him seem like it. :)

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
In his latest interview, James said he is talking to someone right now.     It's in a very early stage so he doesn't want to reveal who she is.     His fans thought she might be a newbie in the same channel 3 with him, and they are happy for him to have someone to talk to at the end of the tired working day.

Accalia said:

Accalia

sarNie Egg
Thank you guys <3!! Such a huge relief to know that he's not (so that I can continue my shipping fantasy lol) ;))

sarNie Adult
Chapter 10 – A Lady’s Touch

“Tor, are you sure that you got the right address?”

The four mages of the lagoon (deck) stood outside the mansion’s tall gates, still not quite believing their eyes as they stared ahead.

“Tor, seriously? This is the house?” Good repeated his question as he observed the intricate details in the gate’s pillars. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d think we’re in a period lakorn set.”

“Well the façade of the house did get used for at least two big production lakorns. They shot the scenes while the whole family was sojourning in Europe,” Tor said as-a-matter-of-factly, though he still seemed quite impressed with how grand the house appeared to be.

“Who would have thought that the barbaric captain of the football varsity would live in a place like this,” Gap said softly as he looked at the security cameras that were pointing straight at him.

“His above average physical condition is apparently not attributable solely to good nutrition but also to his affluent family background,” Joker mumbled monotonously as he maintained a nonchalant expression.

The four boys abruptly stopped their discussion when a kindly old housemaid fetched them from outside the gates and ushered them inside the compound.

The three boys of the MLD continued to gape and gasp at the sights they saw from inside the gates – from the elaborate moldings and statues that lined the pathway to the rich colors of the flowers that were scattered everywhere. Joker, though he still maintained that stiff, unfeeling expression, clearly was curious at the very least, as he looked from side to side instead of just staring ahead as he usually does.

“Oy!”

The boys abruptly stopped in their tracks upon hearing a sudden outburst of barks. Soon a cute little toy dog appeared, with its ears perked up and its eyes wide. The little pink dress it wore was puffed up and standing by its sides, looking almost akin to a ballet tutu.  Tor looked frightened despite the small size and cuteness of the small dog that he jumped back and hid behind Good. Good and Gap on the other hand merely looked at the dog strangely, not quite used to seeing such a dolled up little creature. Joker meanwhile looked at it intently, with his fingers twitching slightly by his sides.

“…..cute,” Joker mumbled.

Hearing just one word from the usually verbose Joker freaked out Good and Gap and they both jumped to their sides and fell back together with Gap. They were doubly appalled when the usually detached Joker suddenly bent down on his knees and extended his hand towards the small toy dog. The toy dog sniffed him cautiously, and then it suddenly sneezed overdramatically and then jumped from side to side, as if mocking him to run after it. The small dog turned around once and wiggled its tail joyfully, making the pink fluffy tutu bounce from side to side. Finally, it looked back at him, with its paws firmly placed on the ground as if ready to pounce as it opened its mouth and panted, showing its cute little pink tongue and appearing to smile. It was too much for Joker to bear as he suddenly clenched his fists and bit his lower lip to control himself. He was about to reach out his hand towards the dog when…

“Ofeliaaaaa!” they heard a woman’s melodic sing-song voice before they saw her visage.

It happened in slow motion, as the wind blew gently and the sun’s rays peaked through the gardens subtly. A woman, nay, a goddess suddenly floated towards them, with her skin so fair and long lustrous hair so long and light as it moved slightly with the wind. Her big bright eyes had a different hue – were they brown? Were they blue? The MLD boys were not certain. Yet one thing’s for sure – her bright red lips stood out most of all. The pink dress she wore hugged her curves in the right places, and yet she still looked so elegant, the four boys figured she was an elven princess straight out of their fantasies.

They just stared at her with mouths agape, frozen in their stance and waited for her to speak, so that they could be certain that she was a real, breathing human being and not a summoned deity from one of their cards.

Her smile quickly faded as she saw the four strange looking boys standing like statues by their garden. They looked so identical, as all of them wore dark rimmed spectacles and desperately needed haircuts. She believed their clothes were straight out of their grandfather’s closet – or perhaps they were from the garbage, because she was sure selling (and buying) those kinds of clothes would be a crime. They looked quite familiar nonetheless… though she can’t quite put her finger on it…

She bent down cautiously and scooped up Ofelia, suddenly having the urge to protect her pet from these freaks…until suddenly she remembered.

“HA! You’re with Harry Pouter! You’re the ones sent to tutor my idiot brother?!” Noey gasped as she pointed at the four accusingly, “Oh my god! There are more of you?! I don’t believe it! Are you like… minions or something?”

The four boys visibly sweat-dropped from her words, her surreal image suddenly broken. James told them about Pai’s sister. He said she was an interesting character, though he didn’t warn them that she was quite a medusa, a beautiful lady albeit with a sharp tongue and looks that could kill.

She circled them once with a pointed look in her eyes, as though she was an inquisitor, and yet she continued to glide gracefully around them. Finally she stopped, placed a hand on her waist and sighed loudly.

“Well?” Noey stomped one foot impatiently, “Where is Pouter anyway?” She looked behind them curiously, wondering if he merely got left behind.

The boys all looked at each other, not knowing what to say. They were well aware of what their comrade was going through, without him having to go about it into detail – well… whatever detail they needed was obtained by Tor anyway, so they knew they had to leave him be.

Good cleared his throat before he said, “He is at home and appears to be indisposed.”

“Indisposed, you say?” Noey asked contemplatively, as she patted Ofelia’s head idly. “From a communicable disease?”

The boys shook their heads.

“A debilitating disease?” Noey asked once more, and the boys shook their heads again. “A simple malady?”

Again the boys shook their heads, and so Noey finally asked, “Is he even sick at all?”

“love-sick, if that counts,” Tor blurted out, and suddenly earned the admonishing jabs from Gap and Good.

“Love-sick,” Noey smiled wickedly as she heard the words, “that is interesting.” She pursed her lips as she patted her dog’s head some more. “Well… my idiot brother and his idiot team are actually not at home. They left early and found an excuse to escape today’s lecture.”

The boys looked at each other and realized they went to the house for nothing. Yet they focused their attention to Noey once again when she started laughing, a rich evil laugh that is often delivered by villainous stepmothers in stories they read as children. They wondered how an Arwen Undómiel turned out to be a Maleficent.

“I’m actually quite bored. It’s such a fine day but with nothing worthwhile for me to do,” she said casually as she bent down to let Ofelia down. Joker looked back and stared after the dog as he clenched his fists once more and tried hard to stop his feet from running after it.

Noey walked closer to the boys and stopped when she was arm’s length away from Good. Good gulped when she suddenly tugged on his necktie until he was forced to lean forward. With piercing eyes, she then said, “Take me to your leader.”

Tentatively, Good looked to his side and saw that the other MLD boys looked just as frozen as he was. He looked back at Noey, gulped once again and replied, “…Krup.”

--------------------------------------

Uncle Pat got the shock of his life when he saw the group that waited outside the front door. They very rarely got visitors, especially considering the lady and the master were more often abroad than at home, and his young charge always found a way to go around in his bicycle instead of inviting people over. Yet the people who came to their abode were no strangers either, only he never expected them to show up at their doorstep in the first place.

He knew the four boys quite well – as it was his job to know everything about his young charge. Uncle Pat received reports that James, thankfully, made new friends, and they were quite good friends indeed. They were harmless guys who were nevertheless loyal enough to stand their ground to protect their own. They were no cause for worry – well… maybe except for one, that boy who was so curious and keen at getting information. He kept the bodyguards on their toes and added an extra challenge for them not to be caught tailing them in the first place.

Then there was the young lady of the Visarut house, who Uncle Pat knew was making a name for herself in Thailand’s elite circle. She was a social butterfly, albeit an elusive one as she only attends exclusive and highly sophisticated parties and gatherings. Her artworks are often displayed at big venues though the common citizen would probably never guess that she was the artist who crafted them. Her cold appearance was a stark contrast to the warmth of summer and spring in her paintings. Even the madam of the house, James’s mother, had purchased several works of hers to be displayed in their hotels abroad.

Uncle Pat was thus quite surprised moments earlier to see an unfamiliar car outside the tall security gates of the mansion, and was doubly surprised when he saw Lady Noey poke her face outside the front passenger’s seat window. She haughtily demanded that the gates be opened for her entry, as was expected from the aristocratic lady of the Visarut house. Yet when Uncle Pat realized that she actually turned the young master’s new friends into her own personal slaves, he didn’t know if he was going to be appalled or amused. He guessed he was both as he watched Good step out of the driver’s seat, after being made a chauffeur and quite courteously opened the door for Lady Noey. Gap followed soon after as he held an umbrella to protect their lady from the sun. Tor moved out as well, looking almost like a bodyguard as he looked around and searched for security cameras or any indication for the front doors to be opened, and Joker followed last as he silently held a cute little toy poodle in his arms.

“I’m here to see James Jirayu!” Noey demanded as she stood at the front door, visibly irked for having to wait. Uncle Pat quickly jumped from his seat and welcomed the group.

The four MLD boys couldn’t help but gasp and gape once more, suddenly faced with the realization that they were surrounded by elite, rich people. While they knew that James was an heir to the AIS Group, it only dawned on them now how very wealthy he was indeed. They couldn’t quite reconcile at first how the simple and kind comrade of theirs turned out to be that well-off after all.

The house was more modern, unlike the classic Visaroot mansion, with tall white gates and glass walls surrounding the area. There was a small garden too but had minimalist designs unlike the grand and traditional look of Lady Noey’s backyard. The house was sparsely decorated and looked quite organized – so organized that Gap’s eyes appeared to water. Every shelf, every fixture, every object was in place that they wondered if a person lived in that house at all. Gap itched to grab his ruler to assess everything as all the corners, all the moldings in the house seemed to have been measured to precision with ratios all balanced and the angles quite exact.

Tor easily noticed the hidden security features in each nook and cranny, well hidden yet visible nonetheless to his expert eyes. He was amazed at the technology employed in such a minimalist structure, and he had no doubt that their hotels were just as secure.

Good focused on the daunting family portrait that was smack in the middle of the staircase, unable to miss it as it was the accent point in the whole living room. He never imagined their comrade to look so…. different. He had no words to describe it. He looked like how a magnate is supposed to look like and yet his eyes, he didn’t know if it was because it was a painting, or if the artist merely painted what he saw, but to Good, James’s dull eyes in the painting made him look so… lifeless.

They all stopped observing when Ofelia suddenly barked and wiggled in Joker’s arms that he had no choice but to put her down. The small dog ran towards the dining room just when James emerged from it.

The young master of the house looked surprised, especially as he saw Ofelia staring up at him with her wide eyes. He wore a simple round neck shirt and drawstring pants, with his hair slightly disheveled and still holding a piece of toast in one hand while holding a glass of orange juice in the other hand.

Noey made her way past the four MLD boys and went straight to where James was and suddenly gave his forehead a light admonishing slap.

“Nine in the morning and still looking sloppy Pouter!” She muttered and James could only stare at her dumbly. “Well? Where are your manners? Is that a way to be treating your guests?”

Uninvited, yes, but guests nonetheless. James was still shocked at seeing her bossing him around in his own house, yet all he could do was blink. “Uh…. Good morning… Would you like to have breakfast?”

Noey narrowed her eyes and went straight to the dining area without even waiting for James to step aside. He then looked back at the four MLD boys as they went to him.

“We’re so sorry Khun P, she just rounded us up and dragged us here,” Gap said as he gave James a wai which he tried to return but couldn’t because his hands were full. He just bowed slightly instead and acknowledged their presence.

“Don’t worry, I know she has a mind of her own, been like that since we were younger,” James chuckled as he moved aside. “Come, let’s eat breakfast.”

To their surprise, Noey was not found inside the dining area. James took one bite off his toast and placed it back on his plate and likewise placed the glass of orange juice back where his seat was. The four other boys tentatively took their seats in the spacious dining hall as they looked around, hoping to see traces of Noey.

Soon Uncle Pat appeared and was followed by several housemaids carrying porcelain bowls.

James took a seat and was slightly amused at the spectacle Uncle Pat was putting up. He very rarely ate at home, even more so with guests around. On top of that, even when he did eat breakfast at home, he only had toast and juice and that’s it. He figured that the full complement of the house staff was probably excited at finally having a chance to finally show their skills and so they served breakfast with gusto.

Good was just about to say that they have eaten their breakfast already but stopped himself when he realized they were getting served what may be found in buffet breakfasts in no less than a four star hotel.

Even Joker showed interest on the food as he wafted the aroma and felt his mouth water.

“P’, I… I dunno what to say,” Tor said as he looked at all the food, and James merely chuckled once more and replied, “Please, go ahead, help yourselves.”

Just when his guests were preoccupied with their meal, James looked at Uncle Pat questioningly and the older man smiled. “The lady is making a phone call,” he said with a wink as he left the dining area, to continue manning the staff, no doubt.

James sighed and reached out for his orange juice and took another sip. He was just about to ask the boys what was going on when he suddenly felt a presence beside him.

“Oy!” James gasped, nearly choking on his juice as he found Noey suddenly beside him, with her face inches from his and closely observing him. A bit unnerved, James put down his glass once again and tentatively moved to the other side of his seat.

“There IS something different about you,” she declared, as she moved closer towards him as well and closed in on the distance between them. James was about to fall off from his seat when Noey suddenly straightened up in her own seat once more. “I know! You’re having heart problems with that girl!”

The MLD boys abruptly stopped eating and focused their attention on James. He started to feel signs of indigestion from all the scrutiny that was directed towards him that he pushed himself back in his seat and looked even more anxious.

“What…girl?”

“That girl who used to beat up my idiot brother!” Noey laughed as she remembered one of those days when her brother went home with a bloody nose. She had such a kick out of the fact that her burly brother went home shamefaced because of a scrawny little girl. It was so shameful her mother couldn’t even report it to their father. “That karate kid, you know, of course you know.”

James sighed and mumbled, “It’s taekwondo actually,” he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and sighed once more.

“Yes! Her! Urassaya!” Noey clapped her hands victoriously as she remembered, “Is she all grown up now? Broke your pitiful heart into two? Well, that’s better than her breaking your nose, I think. It’s all a matter of perspective.”

He had always known Noey for one thing, and it was that she never minced words. James looked at the MLD boys tentatively and Tor crossed his arms across his face and silently mouthed “it wasn’t me!”

Good coughed self consciously and suddenly blurted out, “I… well… for what it’s worth, I think James is still in the fight.”

Suddenly getting back their resolve, Gap likewise piped up, “Yes! It’s far from over. We shouldn’t give up!”

Noey lifted one eyebrow as she heard his words, we?

“Everyone has had their setbacks. Pierre and Marie Curie easily come to mind with their discovery of uranium”

“Yeah! We’ll support P’James all the way!”

James smiled ever so slightly at hearing the encouraging words from his friends. Yet their moment was momentarily broken when Noey laughed her trademark evil laugh once more.

“Wait; let me get this straight, you’re getting help, with your love life, from these guys?”

The four boys nodded with steadfast expressions in their eyes. They looked so sincere that Noey was able to stifle her laugh and actually thought things over. “Well…. I do suppose you would fare better than my idiot brother and his brainless varsity underlings.”

“Khun P just needs a well planned out strategy,” Gap grinned as he placed a light pat on James’s shoulder.

“Yes! He just needs to realize his strengths,” Good added with a nod.

“He needs the power to overcome the alpha and take his place in the pride.”

“Yeah! P’ just needs a little more gumption!”

Noey looked at the boys incredulously and suddenly got up and stood smack in the middle of James and Gap. “Are you kidding me, you guys are completely missing the point!” She grumbled once and placed her hand in her waist and continued, “You guys won’t make it after all. But since I am here, I just want you guys to know that....” She placed a dainty hand over James’s head and ruffled his hair tentatively as though she were slightly grossed out by it, “before all that you said, what he needs is a makeover!”

“A makeover?” The boys said in unison and looked at Noey as though she grew another head.

“Yes! A makeover! Heck! ALL OF YOU NEED A MAKEOVER!” she made the declaration loud and clear and she looked up with bright eyes and pulled out her cell phone out of nowhere, “Have you left already? … Good. Make that five, do you hear me? I need a miracle team for five hideous looking creatures. You might have to bring the whole salon. Do you understand? Good.”

“What…was that?” James was unable to stop the words from coming out of his mouth, yet he was almost afraid of her answer.

Noey merely grinned and leaned on the table as she reached for the serving spoon of the Waldorf salad. She got a generous serving and gracefully sat back down in her seat. Just when James thought his question fell on deaf ears, she suddenly spoke, “I called my glam team. I’m sure your mother would not mind. She would thank me even. She told me to look out for you, once or twice, when we bumped into each other last year in Europe.”

“A glam team?” Joker mouthed the words and Tor merely shrugged, unable to provide information for the first time in his life. Good gulped as Gap suddenly grabbed a utensil which he found lying idly in the table and shined it with his table napkin unconsciously as he tried to control his fear for what was ahead.

“Don’t worry Pouter, I already told your security personnel to coordinate with our bodyguards about the team who is coming. As for these four, it’s nothing, what little price I would pay to make this world a better place,” Noey sighed and took a spoonful of the salad in her mouth. She chewed on it carefully and added, “Oh to turn the unsightly into something worth looking at, it is such a noble cause, it brings tears to my eyes.”

James straightened out in his seat and carefully chewed on his toast, no longer sure what he must do about what lay ahead before them – not that he could do anything other than comply with Noey’s wishes to begin with.

-----------------------------------------------------

“CHA!”

The other members of the taekwondo club felt the tension in the air as Yaya’s high kick nearly toppled over another dummy. For once the, the junior members of the club felt lucky they weren’t sparring with the Fighting Dame at that moment. She appeared to be her usual self when she entered the gymnasium that morning, yet barely ten minutes after warm up she already started unleashing her fatal kicks.

Her teammates weren’t sure if she had anyone in mind as she continued her barrage of attacks. Yet they knew something must have been up with her since she had never been as ruthless as she was now, even during competitions.

So the moment one of her girl friends, Dao, entered the hall, the members of the Yaya fan club quickly came to her to know what was going on.

Dao looked at them incredulously, not really knowing what to say. Yet before she could even sit down, she heard Yaya’s battle cry as she nearly ripped the practice dummy apart.

“She does seem quite tense, doesn’t she?” Dao whispered, earning the nods of Yaya’s fan boys and juniors. “Well… I don’t know. She texted me and Michelle to help her go shopping later. I didn’t think there was anything wrong with her.”

“Perhaps the answer is with Jirayu. Don’t you think?” One of the guys of the fan club said, “Where is he anyway? It’s rare not to see him hanging around with her.”

“Oh yeah, that’s right,” Dao said as she looked around herself. She was well aware that the two were inseparable, even when she already repeatedly told Yaya not to hang out with that loser since it lowers her chances of hanging out with cool boys. “What time was Yaya-”

Dao stopped midsentence when she realized that the guys who talked to her earlier had all but disappeared.  She fidgeted on her seat, with a knot forming in between her eyebrows as she looked around to get a clue as to what was going on. She was thus caught off guard when a familiar face appeared right behind her.

It was a face she knew too well and wished never to see again. Pai Visarut grinned as he made his way down, and stood several steps from where she sat. He moved slightly, looking as though he were flexing his muscles which bulged out from the tight shirt that he wore. He then raked his hand over his hair and revealed his tanned complexion. Then he smiled, his teeth seeming whiter than they really were in contrast with his darkened skin.

“Fancy seeing you here, Daor-ling,” Pai said in a fake husky voice as his posse cheered in the background. Dao rolled her eyes, annoyed at Pai’s antics. She opted to ignore the big oaf, just as she always had, by taking out her phone from her small bag and fiddling with it.

She cursed her luck for drawing the attention of the Football Varsity’s Team Captain. She knew girls in American TV shows and even in pocket books would dream of being the apple of the Team Captain’s eye, but she was sure it wouldn’t be the same for this guy. He was such a bully and he has terrorized more than half of the male population in the campus. But apart from that, Pai was likewise notorious for being an airhead and his incredible physique can do nothing to cure that fact.

Yet perhaps it was precisely because he was an idiot that he couldn’t get a clue that Dao really didn’t like him at all.

Pai thought that she was so pretty with her long black hair and her big bright eyes that were not unlike his sister’s. She always wore those dresses that were similar to what his sister wore. Heck, even the way she ignored him and always had pointy glares and threw hurtful words at him – was so like his sister. But his sister loved him right? Pai thought in that small head of his that perhaps Dao loved him too. Maybe she just doesn’t know it yet.

“So Dao-ling, what’s up?” Pai asked giddily as he sat down in the bench right below where she was. “Whacha doin?”

“Trying to ignore you, idiot.” Dao mumbled as she continued to focus on her phone.

“Oh Daoling, you don’t have to try so hard. I know I’m irresistible,” he lifted his arm then to flex his biceps as he smiled once more.

Dao just sighed heavily and thought of whether she should just walk away. She figured he’ll just run after her anyway so she just sat in her seat and continued to look at her phone. She opened one of her favorite pages in her browser, hoping that reading it would keep her mind off of the big nuisance in front of her.

Dao had been following a blog by a writer named “Tranquil River” for a long time now, and she really liked her stories. Though she doesn’t seem like it, she really was a dreamer at heart, and she loved reading stories with a touch of fantasy in them. TR’s stories had just the right hint of comedy and fantasy, that she was so hooked. The current story arc in her latest work was more on the romantic side, and that got her excited. It was about a prince from a faraway land who had to rescue his love, the oracle, who got trapped in the world of mirrors. The main characters in her series, the four voyagers from worlds unknown agreed to help this prince in his quest, thinking that the oracle might just have the key back to their own worlds. After reading the first chapter of the new story arc, Dao was sure that TR was indeed a girl, contrary to what other followers of her blog were arguing. TR never really answered the issue herself, saying it was irrelevant. But whatever it was, Dao was confident – she figured, no man would be sensitive enough to know and understand those emotions – especially that of lost love. The big oaf, Pai, here can’t even figure out that she didn’t like to see him. When Dao read about the Prince’s introductory chapter, and how he was dealing with his feelings of hurt and longing, she figured if the author were indeed a guy, he would probably be a very sensitive and caring guy – so sensitive and empathic, she might even consider dating him.

“Dao-ling, stop playing with your phone. Don’t you find that boring?” Pai whined slightly as he nudged her knees with his arms. “Come, I brought my Ferrari. Let’s take it out on a spin, shall we?”

Dao grumbled as Pai’s sudden movements made her click the “next” page more than once that she ended up skipping a chapter. She glared at Pai once before she stood up from her seat and made her way towards Yaya.

Just then she saw Yaya walking towards the benches as the practice dummy finally gave out and lay broken in the mat. She could see that the other juniors shuddered, thankful that it was the practice dummy that Yaya broke into pieces and not them.

“What’s gotten into you?” Dao asked as she leaned over the ledge while Yaya bent down to get a towel from her gym bag.

“Nice to see you too, Dao,” Yaya said dryly as she gave her a lopsided smile and wiped the sweat off her face.

“I’m guessing it’s not that time of the month, but today, why are you so … well… bloodthirsty? Is that the right word?” 

Yaya gave her a quizzical expression and then shook her head, “Bloodthirsty? What are you talking about?”

Dao sighed exasperatedly and pointed at the guys in the other side of the mat, “look at them, they’re as pale as your taekwondo uniform. I bet they were thankful you didn’t kick their butts.”

At Dao’s words, Yaya looked around and felt their stares upon her. Suddenly feeling awkward, she grinned tentatively and placed her hands over her chest to give them a respectful wai.

“I’ll just shower real quick and then I’ll be right out ok?” Yaya whispered to Dao before she grabbed her bag to avoid the team’s scrutiny. Yet before she could leave, Dao reached out and pulled her arm so she could whisper back to Yaya.

“Better make it quick. Else I might just show off my hidden taekwondo skills on Pai.”

“Pai?” Yaya asked as she looked behind Dao and saw the big oaf with his posse. She then saw him wave at her as he stood up and made his way towards them. “Wow Dao, you really have to admire him for his persistence,” Yaya told her friend with a low whistle.

“More like stupidity,” Dao grumbled. “The guy can’t take a hint. Almost like that best friend of yours.”

Yaya frowned upon hearing Dao’s words. “He’s not stupid.”

“I know that,” Dao sighed, “What I mean is … he’s always hanging around you even when he’s already getting pushed around.”

Dao’s blunt words made Yaya frown even further. James got pushed around – got pushed away? She looked away from Dao and stared at the empty mat, vaguely, remembering how James looked like when their classmates teased him and the way he went from one side to another as he waded through the crowd and made his way to her. She didn’t even want to think about him today, yet thoughts of him kept nagging her mind, even as she concentrated on practicing her kata, even when she stared ahead on the empty mat.

“Where is James anyway?” Dao asked drawing Yaya’s attention back to the present.

She bit her lip, feeling more agitated that she would ever admit as her latest thoughts just added to her confusion about how she really felt about him at that moment. On one hand she was mad at him, on another hand, she was worried about him; but most of all she was confused – both about how he was being and how she was supposed to feel about the way he was being.

When Yaya remained silent, Pai answered Dao’s question for her. “He’s probably at my house right now with those geekazoids. Today was our lecture day but the boys and I decided to take a day off,” he then grinned before he added, “I told sis to take good care of them.”

“What? James was going to lecture at your house?” Yaya grumbled, her worry for her best friend taking over, as she realized the stress he must have been going through. She shook her head, suddenly feeling guilty for ignoring him since that night he fetched her from CCV. Perhaps he really had a lot going on in his head and she didn’t even have the time or the inclination to ask if there was something wrong with him. He had always been there for her – he was always there to know what was going on with her, yet she hadn’t been the same to him. She berated herself and asked: How could I have been so dense? How could I not have taken the extra mile to figure out what was going on with him? She was too busy with her girlish feelings, her growing feelings for Fair that she had not bothered to think about her best friend’s troubles.

She took a quick shower and changed her clothes, stuffed her things in her bag and walked outside. She did all those things mechanically as she was still deep in thought about James and how insensitive she had been to him. She hadn’t even realized that she kicked Pai (a little too harshly than she would have wanted) when she pushed him aside so she could talk to Dao.

Holding her friend’s hands, she asked her with a worried look in her eyes, “Dao, have I been a bad friend?”

Dao eyed her weirdly, but held tightly on Yaya’s hands nonetheless. “What are you talking about, girl?”

“I haven’t talked to James in a day. It’s so stupid. I mean… I know I shouldn’t have been so sensitive, or rather, insensitive. But he wouldn’t tell me what he was feeling, I was getting confused and I didn’t know what was going on with him. I didn’t realize he might be getting stressed or what or I don’t know what’s wrong with him or what I should do-”

“Stop!” Dao placed a hand in front of Yaya to stop her from blathering as she pulled her hand as they walked away. “So it is James! No wonder you looked like you wanted to murder someone back there.”

“Huh? What?” Yaya asked confusedly as Dao simply shook her head and grumbled, “Nevermind.”

Dao made Yaya tell the story from start to finish as she drove them to the mall where Michelle waited. Yaya told her of what happened, since that day she found James to be acting strangely. She told Dao about that day when she thought he was just sick that’s why he seemed so sad, up until that night when they last spoke to each other. Dao stayed silent as she drove, and Yaya wondered if she even listened to her at all or if she merely focused on the road ahead.

Yet when they reached the parking area, Dao stopped the car, pulled the hand break and looked at her.

“He’s jealous. He’s definitely jealous,” Dao stated her verdict flatly as she looked straight at her.

“Jealous?! What do you mean?” Yaya gasped, not considering the possibility, not even in her wildest dreams. “James? Jealous? Of what?!”

“Girl, even kids get jealous when their mom gets pregnant again, believe me, I’m not an only child,” Dao shuddered as she turned off the engine of the car and placed the keys on her bag. “Heck, I’m jealous too, you’re going to be Fair Gundon’s date at the ball!” she then squealed and her excitement rubbed off Yaya and she couldn’t help but grin too.

“But Dao, seriously, what do you mean that he’s jealous?” Yaya asked again when they both calmed down.

“Oh come on Yaya, you’ve been best friends since forever right? Now you’re growing up and have a prince charming who would sweep you off your feet. Of course he’s jealous that someone is taking his place.”

Taking his place? No one can ever take James’s place. James was James, and P’Fair was P’Fair, Yaya thought.

“But they’re different, Dao,” she said with a frown, realizing for the first time how her best friend and her crush seemed to be polar opposites. James was her best friend and Fair was…well… Fair was…

“Of course they are different. But look at it this way. They’re both men, and men tend to be a bit thickheaded about these things. James might have realized that things wouldn’t be the same between you guys now with Mr. Heartthrob in the picture.”

Things wouldn’t be the same? Yaya was suddenly chilled at the thought. “But James is and still will be my best friend.”

Dao took one look at Yaya and realized that for once, her dorky best friend might have been way ahead of her. “Yes, of course he’d be, but then there are some things you wouldn’t want to do with James right? But then you’ll want to experience those things with Fair.” She narrowed her eyes and gave her a mischievous smile as she nudged her with her elbow. Yet seeing the innocent look in Yaya’s eyes, Dao merely slapped her hand in her forehead in exasperation.

“Like come on Yaya, who would you want to kiss, James or Fair?”

Kiss!?

Yaya reeled at the thought. Fair was so dreamy and so handsome – to kiss him would be like…. And yet when James held her in his arms and met her eyes with his … his eyes looked so different and so…

“Oy!” Dao nudged her arm once and brought her back to reality. “Come on, kiss, date, hug, marry! There I said it!” she grumbled and realized just how innocent Ms. Perfect truly was. “You wouldn’t want to do those things with James, would you?”

“NO!” Yaya quickly reacted as she visibly shuddered. “James is the brother I never had,” she emphasized.

“So there. Maybe he just realized that you won’t be doing everything together like you used to – like he realized the end of his being your best friend and the beginning of what you and Fair might be.” Dao said as-a-matter-of-factly.

The end of his being my best friend? The end? Somehow the words bothered her more than the thought of the beginning of what Fair and I could be …

“Maybe you just have to assure him that you’ll still be best friends no matter what, and all that cheesy stuff, so he doesn’t have to worry when you and Fair start to go to the next level.”

Yaya blushed deeply as Dao said the words bluntly, without even bothering to beat around the bush.

Dao took one good at Yaya and raised her hands in exasperation. “Yaya, remind me to give you all my Seventeen and Cosmopolitan magazine back-issues okay? Girl, you have to keep up on your reading. Jeez. You can’t just read school books all the time. You have to start reading about relationship articles.” Dao clung to Yaya’s arm and added, “Seriously!”

“Oh Dao, I don’t know I’m so confused!” Yaya muttered as she leaned closer to her friend. “I’m more confused than I thought!”

“Ah! It doesn’t matter now,” she placed one hand on Yaya’s face and smiled, “What you should focus now is shopping. SHOPPING! DO YOU HEAR ME! Come on and let’s find that perfect gown!”

Yaya shook her head and tried to calm her heart. Shopping. Gown. Yes. Perhaps it was time to focus on things that are less complicated.

------------------------------------

Yaya got home tired and weary from shopping with Dao. There were more styles of dresses than she thought – and on top of that, there were more colors to choose from. To make things worse, she likewise had to try on so many shoes that would match the clothes. She was so exhausted that she told Dao and Michelle to call it a day before they could reach the accessories.

It was such a relief then to see her mom the moment she entered the door with a curious look in her eyes. Seeing her looking worn-out, she immediately got the shopping bags from her and gave Yaya a quick hug. She gave her a look asking what was wrong and Yaya merely grumbled the word “Shopping.”

Yaya’s mom shook her head and grinned, “I think you are the only girl your age who gets tired from shopping.”

“But it’s so hard mom! So many clothes, so little time”

Her mom shook her head once more and looked at the shopping bags. “Oy… Is this what I think it is - a gown and matching shoes too?”

Yaya merely chuckled as she leaned on her mom affectionately, “Don’t worry mom. I did not break the bank. I just used part of Uncle Kitti’s gift to me on my last birthday and I also had money from my allowance from CCV.”

“Oh it’s not that honey. What I mean is - what are you going to use it for?” Kanda’s eyes brightened up in an instant, “Is there something that you aren’t telling me? Hmmm?”

“Mom!” Yaya whined jokingly as she broke away from her mom’s arms briefly. “Wait a sec, I’ll just get something.”

Yaya ran to her room, seemingly with renewed strength and grabbed the invite to the Founder’s Ball. She then ran back just as fast to the living room where her mom waited. She was surprised to see that by then, Uncle Kitti and Grandma were also seated in the couch and eagerly waited for her.

She stopped in her tracks and tentatively went to where the elders were, suddenly hesitant to break the news. She clutched the invite more tightly than she had wanted and she only stopped when she heard the sound of the hard paper fold a little. She straightened up and gathered her resolve as she faced her family.

“Uh… Mom, here,” Yaya said shyly as she handed her mom the invite. Her mom gave her a curious look before she opened the envelope. Uncle Kitti and Grandma likewise leaned over and looked at the intricate calligraphy, hoping to know what was going on.

“A Ball… Founder’s Ball at CCV,” her mom read the heading. “A ball! Is it like a promenade?”

“It says here that it’s strictly formal,” Kitti said as she pointed at the bottom.

“If it’s a ball then it’s a chance for you to mingle with men. What about your date dear?” Grandma smiled brightly, much to the surprise of Kitti and Kanda. “What? I have had my fair share of balls in my youth, you two. That’s how your father and I got close.”

Yaya sweat-dropped as her Grandma opened the topic before she could even prepare her spiel for it. She hadn’t formed a plan yet on telling them about P’Fair… but now that the cat was out of the box then…

“So, what time is he going to pick you up?” Kitti smiled brightly as well, looking uncharacteristically giddy after getting over his initial shock at Grandma’s suggestion. When Yaya merely replied with a confused expression, Uncle Kitti added, “Your date! What time is he going to pick you up?”

The elders all smiled knowingly and Yaya figured it was much easier than she thought. Now that Mom, Grandma and Uncle Kitti were sure she had a date for the ball, it was only a matter of telling them who he is. “Well… P’Fair hasn’t told me yet what time, but he said he wanted to pay his respects to you first so-”

“P’Fair?” Kanda, Grandma and Uncle Kitti all gaped and looked at her then and she wondered what was going on. Just now they appeared to be okay with the idea and yet why were they suddenly so shocked?

“P’Fair… er… Architect Fair Gundon, my date.”

“What?!” the three adults asked in unison.

“Who is this Fair? We don’t even know who he is. How can he be your date?”

“What does he do for a living? Where are his parents? Why didn’t he even come to pay his respects to us?”

“What about James? Why didn’t James ask you? What is wrong with that boy?”

Yaya bit her lip as the elders went on panic mode and threw a barrage of questions before she could even answer a single one.

“Wait mom… Let me explain!”

The elders stopped talking all at once when they heard Yaya’s near shout. Realizing that she raised her voice, Yaya quickly placed her hands by her chest and bowed down solemnly. She then got down on her knees and placed her hands on Grandma’s knees.

“Grandma, Mom, Uncle Kitti, P’Fair is my superior at CCV. He’s a really kind man, mom. He’s decent and smart and I am sure he will not disrespect me in any way.”

Kanda looked at her daughter and saw something in her pleading eyes. She briefly looked at Kitti and she realized he had the same shocked expression in his face. Kanda placed her hand on her daughter’s head and asked, “Do you like him, my child?”

“Like…?” Yaya blushed deeply and she didn’t have to speak for the elders to know her answer.

Grandma shook her head and likewise placed her hands on Yaya’s shoulder. “But we do not know this man, my darling. We don’t think you’ve known him that well either.”

Yaya bit her lip, unsure of what to say. “It’s just a ball Grandma. It’s not like we’re not courting.”

Her words kept the elders in check and they all sighed deeply and realized they had overreacted.

“But you do like him, don’t you?” Kanda asked once more.

“He’s really nice mom, you’ll see, when you meet him tomorrow when he picks me up.”

“He’ll pick you up?!” Kitti gasped, still feeling a bit unsettled about the matter. “What about…”

“Could we really let her go?”

“She’s an adult now. And it is JUST a ball”

“I know what happens in balls. I may be old but…”

“Mother, the balls back then are different from the parties they have now. Besides, this isn’t a lakorn.”

“But our Yaya is so young and beautiful surely she’ll give any actress a run for her money.”

“You’re missing the point here…”

The elders went on with their prattle until the phone rang. They all stopped talking at once while Grandma reached out for the phone from the side table and answered it.

“… JAMES!” Grandma exclaimed as she looked at Kitti and Kanda, “Yes… yes, she’s here already. But what is this that Yaya is telling us about a ball and this man named Fair being her date?”

Yaya felt a knot at the pit of her stomach, completely caught off-guard by how the elders reacted. She was in college already and they never made a big deal out of the prom when she was younger. She wondered why they were so apprehensive now – so apprehensive they couldn’t even listen to her explanations.

To make matters worse, the person she least wanted to talk to was on the phone with her grandma right now and she was so confused and so unsure of what to do or what to feel. She wasn’t even sure if he was still mad at her or not. She didn’t know if Dao was right and if indeed he was jealous of Fair. She wondered what he was telling her grandma now…

“Yes… yes… oh I see,” Grandma visibly calmed down from speaking to James on the phone, yet Kanda and Kitti were eagerly leaning over to try to know what was going on as well. “Wait James, I’ll put you on speaker phone, okay?”

Grandma briefly handed the phone to Kanda to make her press the speakerphone button.

“Uh… Hello? Grandma… as I was saying, I’ve met him and he’s a pretty decent guy,” James said in that calm voice of his that somehow, even Yaya’s heartbeat slowed down little by little. “It’s an exclusive party they have at CCV so that’s why they have to go together… but I’ll be there too. With your permission, I’ll be Yaya’s chaperone so you wouldn’t have to worry. I’ll protect her, I promise.”

“James will be there too!” Kitti raised his arms in relief, “Why didn’t you say so earlier. Then we wouldn’t have panicked.”

“Yes sir. I’ll be there. So please let Yaya go, all right? Besides, you don’t have to worry about Yaya. She’s responsible and surely she can hold her own and …”

Yaya looked to the side, right past their window and saw a figure standing right outside their gate. Curiously, she stood up and went nearer to see who it was. Grandma, Mom and Uncle Kitti were still busy talking to James that they didn’t even realize that she already left. She went to the window and finally saw the man who was talking on his cell phone.

“James…”

It was a bit dark outside as the lights were out and the lamppost was in the other side of the street. Yet Yaya knew his figure so well that she can tell it was her best friend even if she could only see his shadow in the dark. James leaned against the wall as one hand clutched the handle of his bike while his other hand firmly held the phone against his face. She wondered why he didn’t go in when he was outside the house all along. She was about to pull him inside when she realized that the elders were still eagerly talking to him over the phone. She got her own phone from her pocket, hoping to text him to come inside so that he’ll see her message right after he talks to the elders. It was then that she realized that he had messaged her that afternoon after all.

She had been so busy trying on so many clothes that she didn’t get to see his messages and calls. She felt a pang in her heart as she realized how bad of a friend she had been to him lately.

I’m sorry

Please be home safe

See you tomorrow? J Please don’t be mad anymore.

And yet he was nothing but nice to her, and always thinking about her.

“James…” She whispered his name as she touched the window, hoping to reach out to him. She knew she had to reassure him. She knew she owed him that much. She had no right to make him jealous, and he had no reason to be, because more than anything, he was still an important person in her life.

Just then he saw him lift his head slightly, seeming to smile before he put down one hand to put back the phone inside his pocket. Unable to stop her feelings any longer, she went out the door to come to him, to stop him before he left. In her haste she forgot to turn on the lights and so she had to meet him in the dark.

“James!” she called as she ran down the pathway and went to where he was. It was so dark that she could barely even see him as he likewise wore dark colored clothes.

“Yaya!” he replied in a surprised voice as he turned around to face her.

“Come inside,” she said as she reached out for his arm with both of her hands.

“Uh…N…no…no. It’s late. I just passed by to make sure that… well… you got home and…” he stuttered as he placed his free hand behind his head timidly. “Yaya… you aren’t mad-”

He stopped midsentence when he suddenly felt Yaya’s arms around his torso, with her head nearly bumping into his chin. She remained silent as she hugged him tightly – and with her actions he got her answer to his question. He sighed as he reached around her back and returned her hug.

“No matter what, I’ll always be your best friend, okay? Remember our promise? We’ll always be together okay?” She whispered the words solemnly as she pressed her check against his shoulder. “Okay?” she asked once more as she got no response.

James pressed his head against hers and smiled, relishing the moment of holding her so close under the stars. It was under the same starry sky that she promised to be his best friend forever, and it was under the same sky that he vowed to always be there for her. The fact that he was an important person to her gave him hope. Perhaps she might learn to love him after all. Perhaps he must not give up on his love.

He brushed his lips against her hair before he opened his eyes and let go, feeling that he might just hold her all night if he didn’t hold himself back at that point. “I’ll see you tomorrow then. Go back inside; they must be looking for you by now.”

He saw her bright smile even as the darkness further disabled his myopic eyes. He felt alive yet again, and Yaya felt just as much happiness in her heart.  

She was glad things were clear between her and James once more.

Now she can go to the ball with Fair without any qualms or regrets. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Notes: 

Ohohoho, Just in time for James's 22nd bday (and the day his glasses broke  :sweat: ), change is coming! It's sad for me to do this, just when James Ji started looking like James Ji in my mind when writing this fic. 

Photo Cr: som_Jirayu_jj

Jeans-check.
Sneakers- check,
bangs-check,
glasses-check
backpack - check. 

well, thanks to our resident Diva, Noey, we have to say goodbye to this boy, but let's relish this moment before the next chapter

Photo cr: jamesjiunited and berry_kimme

And with that, I have a poll since I cannot decide myself. What should James's look be for the Founder's Ball? 

Exhibit A: Black Suit

Photo cr: Urassayaclub.com

exhibit b: white suit

photo cr: jamesjiunited

Exhibit C: His Puttipat Look (i.e. in a suit, but still with glasses) 

or Exhibit D: Black suit and cool hair 

Phot cr: Gang_matbad and james_jirayu_vietnamFC

Personally, I am partial to his Puttipat look. Forgive me for being completely old skool. haha. But what do you guys think?! What must his look be? Suggestions for Yaya's gown are also welcome! 

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
I loved it so much!!! Jirassaya's hug! As of JJ's style. I would go with khun Chai style too, but with cool hair. LOL.

As of Yaya's gown, maybe something like these:

sarN

sarNie Granny
Awww , she navie to the obvious ^^^ update soon

Accalia

sarNie Egg
Omg i'm so exciting imagine Yaya's reaction to his new transformation. Please let her secretly fall for him. Why didn't she feel a thing when they hugged? I mean to women, smells sometimes trigger somthing rite? Urg....Yaya is definitely a hard shell to break.

I vote for Black suit - Cool hair, but no pink bowtie please.

All and all thank you for your hard work! Love it anyway and please update soon. Muah!.

sarNie Adult
Preliminary notes: This chapter is quite "fashion heavy" (since it's a makeover chapter) and so I'll be posting links with some of the fashion terms to help you guys visualize what is going on. Oh and by the way, thank you for your suggestions as to James and Yaya's attire for this chapter!
=========================================================================

Chapter 11 – Jousting for the Princess

-yesterday-

Madness, sheer madness! Noey thought it was what made her consider the idea that she could transform five hideous frogs into princes. The task appeared to be tough, but reasonable at first as she saw great improvement just by giving all of them haircuts. A little tweak here and there, some styling, some trimming – and suddenly the MLD boys started to look human. Yet when she started to let them pick out new clothes, all hell broke loose.

She never imagined that the geniuses of the same college she went to were absolutely clueless on matters of style. Sure, it was forgivable for most guys to look a bit sloppy – yet just when she gave the MLD boys an opportunity to pick from only from the best set of clothes; they still managed to screw up.

“You dorks, this is not a costume party!” She grumbled as she slapped each of them lightly on the forehead. “You! Pouter! I expected more from you! Look at all these signature clothes! How can you wear these dreadful ill-fitting pants when you have Italian labels at the back of your closet?”

James looked to his side, seeming to beg for support from his comrades, only for him to end up placing his hand on his head and bowing sheepishly.

Noey shook her head and realized it only aggravated her headache so she had to place her long fingers upon her temples. The MLD boys stood awkwardly in one straight file as they waited for her next instructions. Grumbling to herself, she picked out the clothes herself and shoved a set against each of the boys, who she then dispatched silently to change their clothing.

“Get in there and put these on. Jeez. You guys are such a handful!” Noey shouted angrily as she pushed James inside his walk-in closet and closed the door with a loud bang. She went to the side of the anteroom and grabbed a cold bottle of Evian and waited. She drummed her hand against the small side table and that was when a crisp white envelope caught her eye.

The envelope was turned upside down with an embroidered card peeking from it. From a distance, she could already tell that it was an invitation card, as she had viewed one too many such cards almost every week since she was launched into society in her very own debutante’s cotillion party. From weddings, to launches, to recitals and to balls, she had been invited to almost all of them. She hasn’t been invited to any high society party recently and so the invite quickly caught her eye.

Pursing her lip, she grabbed the envelope and flipped it over and was surprised at what she saw.

“CCV Founder’s Ball,” she read the words out loud unconsciously as she stared ahead, with a stream of memories suddenly flashing in her head.

He had the most unruly hair she had ever seen in her life. On one hand, she wanted to run her fingers against it in order to fix it, yet on another hand she liked to watch it move with him as he ran in the field. It was the most interesting sight she had seen so far – so interesting it appeared to be worth painting.

She sat down quietly in one of the benches and flipped her sketchpad to a new page, thinking of continuing her sketch of a University’s clock tower at another time. She moved her hand across the paper to create a basic sketch.

His hair must be three shades of brown, she thought, as she saw interplay of light and shadow in his visage as he appeared to move with the wind. And his eyes… they must be shaped like a moon, for they were so full and round when he watched the ball roll across the grass, and yet so narrow, like a crescent whenever he smiled.

He moved so much that she was not sure about how she must draw him. It was then that she realized that she had been drawing still life for too long. While he was not her first living and breathing subject, it was her first time to take interest in painting something precisely because it was animated, because it did not stay still – because no matter what angle she viewed him, he would not look the same; he would not be perfect. Yet how she must capture a moving subject in a stable canvas was still beyond her.

One thing she knew – she looked forward to the challenge.

*THUD*

The loud sound snapped her out of her reverie as Gap stumbled forward as he walked out the door, with Tor and Good following closely behind him. Joker soon emerged from the door and walked awkwardly, looking as though he found his pants to be too tight. Last came James with his head slightly bent, looking a bit unsure but otherwise comfortable in his clothes. The boys then stood beside each other in a single file, and Noey walked past them to begin her inspection, looking like a drill sergeant.

Gap wore dark denim pants and a tucked in long sleeved moss green linen shirt with collar. Noey shook her head as she grabbed his hands and folded the shirt by his elbows and opened the top two buttons. She then tugged the shirt down his narrow waist and adjusted the buckle of his belt. She grabbed a pair of sunglasses and let it hang on his chest.

Joker wore tight black pants that tapered down his legs, matched with a horizontal striped orange and green Henley shirt that fell perfectly upon the tips of his shoulders. She was glad to see him NOT wearing white and was glad that colors agreed with his skin tone after all. Like Gap, Noey likewise pulled his hands and pushed up the sleeves of the shirt up until his elbows. She then tugged on the bottom of the shirt to un-tuck it and make it fall upon his hips right above where the pockets of his pants were for a more “blousy” effect. She got what appeared to be leather cords and wrapped it around one of his wrists to serve as a bracelet.

Tor wore a checkered red and purple woven button down shirt with short sleeves and khaki shorts. Noey grumbled as she unbuttoned the shirt and revealed the white undershirt that Tor wore underneath. She likewise tugged on the shirt to un-tuck it. She left briefly to get an accessory, a string necklace with a large key serving as its pendant. 

Good wore white linen pants with a royal blue tucked in cotton short sleeved polo shirt. He appeared to grab his neck as though he missed wearing a necktie and so Noey then got a brown cardigan and tied its sleeves around Good’s shoulders.

James wore a round neck long sleeved black cotton shirt and black pants. Unlike the others, he had good sense to push back the sleeves up his elbows so Noey no longer had anything to do with his shirt and yet she stood back and tried to figure out what she could do with him. She didn’t know that he wasn’t as scrawny as she thought as the shirt fit snugly on his arms and chest that appeared to be on the muscular side. His slender waist was narrower than she had initially thought, especially in contrast to his broad shoulders.  Although looking at him now, she couldn’t believe how a nerd could manage to look like he had been working out.

She moved back and walked across them, appreciating her handiwork. Yet she stopped before James once more and suddenly blurted out, “You all need new glasses!” She then focused her eyes on James and pointed a finger at him as she said “You need contact lenses.”

“What… huh? why are they …” James stopped midsentence when Noey suddenly lifted a white envelope to his face.

“There’s going to be a ball and you need to leave a lasting impression, Pouter.” She smiled her knowing yet wicked smile.

The MLD Boys suddenly looked at each other before they huddled close and grinned at James.

“She’s right P! Time to shine!” Tor exclaimed as he went around James and placed an arm on his shoulders.

“We have to go all out now. Need to rev it up a notch Khun P!” Gap added excitedly as he flanked James form the other side.

“Quite frankly I still don’t see the merit in this exercise, after all, we are not like moose that have to show off antlers in a battle of supremacy among the herd and…” Joker only stopped talking when Ofelia suddenly walked across the room with a roll of tissue in tow.

Good shook his head before he added, “Yes! It’s time! Time to be the Prince Charming – then again, wouldn’t you be more of a Cinderella, given the circumstances?”

“I most definitely am not a god mother!” Noey grumbled as she slapped their foreheads again with her long fingers. “But what can I say, I’ll make you fabulous just the same,” she said as she went to James’s closet at picked out a suit.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Today –

Fair parked his car right outside the street across a quaint little house. He looked out his passenger seat’s window and tried to confirm if he had the right house number. Seeing that everything was in order, he turned off the engine and breathed in deeply.

He was about half an hour early, but he figured it would be a good opportunity to get acquainted with Ms. Sperbund’s elders. After all, he was a total stranger and he was to ask for their permission for them to entrust her safety to him for that evening. He took one last check of his hair in his rear view mirror and decided to finally go in.

He tugged on his double breasted navy blue suit and adjusted his silk apricot colored tie. Then he got the corsage and the flowers from the passenger seat of his car and went on his way.

He walked to the gate, took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. A few seconds later, a lady emerged from the front door. She had beautiful hazel eyes and a bright smile – Fair knew where Yaya got her looks, right off the bat.

“Good afternoon, my name is Fair Gundon,” he said as he moved his hands for a solemn wai, which Kanda immediately returned. “I am here for Ms. Urassaya Sperbund.”

“Oh yes, Arch. Gundon. Yaya told us about you. Please, do come in,” she said in a kind voice.

Fair then smiled and said, “Thanks ma’am. Yaya didn’t tell me she had a sister.”

Yaya’s mom grinned and flicked her wrist in mock admonishment, “You are a charmer I see Arch. Gundon.” She then stopped by the front door and waited for him to come up the stairs. “I wonder how my daughter is able to resist you?” she teased him with a wink.

Fair thought hard of a good comeback as Kanda opened the door and yet all words disappeared from his head when he found that someone came earlier than he did.

The heir of the AIS Group sat casually by the floor wearing a white wingtip-collared shirt and a black cummerbund around his waist.  He was looking up at a kindly old woman as his hands pressed on her knees and massaged her legs.

“Oh this boy, you better have a seat here. You look so dapper with your tuxedo and yet you’re there on the floor!” the old lady scolded him yet she remained smiling just the same.

“Meeh… but Grandma, you seem tired from standing up and cooking all day. You wouldn’t be able to enjoy the lakorns this evening if your legs would be cramping up,” James said as he smiled back at her.

“Say James, while you are here, let me fix your hair. I think I still have some of Grandpa’s pomade-”

“Mother!” an effeminate man suddenly looked up from the magazine he was reading and spoke up with an appalled expression. “That is how boys nowadays style their hair. Please do not bother with it, especially now that our James looks so handsome. Doesn’t he?”

“Yes, you’re right. Now that you say it Kitti, our boy looks really dashing today,” Grandma smiled tenderly as she placed a gentle hand on James’s shoulder and he merely grinned back embarrassedly.

Not only was he Ms. Sperbund’s best friend. He was practically part of her family. Fair felt a bit nervous as the realization hit him. Just then James moved his head towards his direction and narrowed his eyes.

He knew he was there. Fair clutched the bouquet tighter than he had wanted as he came to the conclusion that his adversary was clearly showing him his game – he was bringing it on. James continued to look at him with pursed lips and wide eyes as he continued to lean closer to Yaya’s grandmother. He mocked him and showed him just how close he was to the elders when he was yet to introduce himself and make a first impression.

James – 1 ; Fair – 0

Undeterred, he took one deep breath and gathered his resolve. He then smiled subtly and gave James an acknowledging nod. He then waited for Yaya’s mother to lead the way to where the other elders sat.

“Mother, Kitti, this is Arch. Fair Gundon, Yaya’s date for the ball,” Kanda introduced him formally and Kitti and Grandma quickly straightened up in their seats.

“It is an honor to meet you,” Fair said as he moved his hands for another solemn wai, which they returned. He gave James one look before he moved his hands and revealed that he was actually holding two bouquets. He bowed slightly and offered it to Gradma as he said, “Please excuse this humble gift.”

“Flowers? For me?” Grandma asked in a surprised tone. She then smiled at Kitti and said, “Oh these are wonderful flowers, just like what my husband used to give me.”

Fair smiled and moved slightly and gave the same gesture to Yaya’s mother as he likewise gave her a bouquet. He then gave James a subtle glance and was glad to see he was taken by surprise.

James – 1 ; Fair – 1

“What, and none for me?” Kitti joked, earning a playful tap from Kanda. “I am just kidding. Please Arch. Gundon, have a seat,” he said as he stood up from the couch and went beside his sister.

Fair politely declined at first and then proceeded to sit down beside Grandma. Kitti got the flowers from his mother and from Kanda and announced that he was going to put them on a vase. Kanda on the other hand announced that she was going to check on Yaya upstairs.

That left Fair, Grandma and James in the living room.

Before Fair could even think of an opening, James suddenly spoke. “Grandma, Arch. Gundon is Yaya’s supervising architect at CCV. She tells me he was one of those who designed the Autumn Palladium.”

“Oh, that marvelous theater? That is amazing,” Grandma replied, astonishment visible in her eyes. “It reminds me of those western movies I have seen in my youth. It’s a very beautiful place.”

Fair moved his hands for a solemn wai. “Thank you for your kind words madam. I’m quite glad that you liked how it turned out.”

“Thank you for guiding my granddaughter. I am sure she would learn a lot from you,” Grandma replied as she returned the wai. “How is she, if I may ask?”

“Oh, she is wonderful!” he said, “She is quite skilled and very creative. There is not much that I had to teach her because she easily learns on her own. Her designs are quite brilliant and pretty soon, I think she would be recognized by the founder of CCV himself, Mr. Chesney.”

Grandma nodded as she heard the words. “Well tonight, I suppose you would all celebrate your achievements. This Founders’ Ball, is it done quite often?”

“It’s an annual affair Madam. It’s an exclusive party for the partners, investors and other clients of the firm, as well as architects and engineers.”

Grandma nodded once more, this time with a more serious expression. “It must be boring then, especially for these young ones,” she said as she tapped James’s shoulder.

“I will do my very best to entertain them,” Fair smiled that dimple bearing smile of his and Grandma grinned.

Grandma looked up with a wistful expression and continued, “Back in the day, I often went to balls and it was quite the rage back then. Lots of dancing, and socializing… and courting.”

Just then both James and Fair were caught off guard by Grandma’s statement and ended up coughing self consciously.

“Well? Tell me Arch. Gundon, what is it that made you ask my granddaughter to be your date in the ball?”

“Oy….” Uncle Kitti gave a low whistle as her returned to the living room. “Has the inquisition begun?” he asked softly as he eyed James. The boy appeared to be clutching on to Grandma’s legs by now as he heard her latest statement. Kitti tiptoed slowly and took a seat across Grandma, on the chair beside Fair’s side in the couch.

Fair gulped and felt sweat at the back of his neck even though his hands felt cold. He got so tongue tied the last time he was in the same situation although this time was not as unpleasant as the last. He just might come out of it unscathed, if only he could…

“Your granddaughter is quite an enchanting lady, and I was quite lucky when I asked and she said yes.” Fair smiled his dimple bearing smile once more and crossed his fingers behind him.

“That is right; I could just imagine how enchanting my granddaughter would be, especially tonight. Thus I would demand that you resist from taking any liberties,” Grandma suddenly looked so fearsome, even James got scared of her aura. “Kitti, the rules.”  

Just then Fair gasped as he moved to his side when Kitti suddenly leaned closer beside him. “Rule 1. No unnecessary touching. Rule 2. Be in a crowd at all times. Rule 3. Always be within the range of light. Rule 4. Bring her home before midnight and lastly…. Rule 5. Do not attempt to disappear from the sight of the chaperone.”

All eyes then focused on James who gave them an innocent smile. “Your five rules Uncle Kitti, I’m sure Arch. Gundon would have no problem abiding by those. Isn’t that right Arch. Gundon?”

“Yes, yes of course,” Fair grinned nervously as Kitti stayed focused on him and appeared to be almost breathing down his neck. He only backed away when Kanda suddenly appeared beside him and pulled him away through the collar of his shirt.

“Arch. Gundon, please excuse us for being overprotective. But as you can see, Yaya is our precious princess,” Grandma said, her voice having a gentle lilt once more. “I trust that you would treat her as a lady, just as you have shown us that you are a gentleman.”

Fair slipped down gracefully from the couch and got down on his knees to place his hand and head upon grandma’s knees, “thank you for your benevolence madam. I give you my word.”

“And suddenly it’s like he’s asking for her hand in marriage,” Kitti muttered softly, earning him another playful jab from his sister.

Grandma smiled and placed a kind hand on Fair’s head, to which he responded by lifting his head and smiling back at her. He then looked at James with the joy of victory in his eyes, knowing that he managed to survive the elders’ initial briefing.

Just when Fair returned to his seat, Kanda spoke up and said, “Yaya is about to go downstairs. I told her that both of you were here waiting for her already and so she moved faster.”

“Oh there is no rush Mrs. Sperbund. I’m sorry for arriving a little bit early. I didn’t mean to rush her.”

“Oh no, no, it’s quite all right,” Kanda said as she waved her hand, “That girl has been excited since this morning. She would have been prepared before lunchtime.”

“Well, there you have it. Come on James, we better fix you up too. The princess is about to arrive,” Uncle Kitti said as he ushered James to one of the rooms.

“Yes son, you go freshen up. Thank you for the massage,” Grandma said as she placed her hand affectionately on James’s cheek before she sent him off.

James bowed slightly at Grandma and Kanda and yet when he gave the same gesture to Fair, he felt a rumble in his chest when he gave him an ever so subtle smirk.

James – 1 ; Fair - 2

--------------------------------------

I wish you could see me now Dad. I wish you were here beside me.

Yaya gave Ms. Bluebell one last squeeze before she finally decided to place her back down in her bed.

You’re very beautiful, my princess. You are and always will be my precious princess.

She wasn’t sure if her father ever said those words to her, but in her heart, she could feel that truly he did.

She moved across the room carefully as she tried to be more comfortable in her high-heeled shoes and couldn’t resist twirling around for her gown to sweep across the floor. Her prince waited for her downstairs and she wished that the night that hasn’t even started would not end as fast. She was so excited to see him and yet she felt something heavy in her chest – was it nervousness, was it fear? She was not entirely sure. Yet she hoped and prayed that this night would not end like the fairytale. She prayed that she could have this night to truly be a princess and be with her prince.

Taking one deep breath, she finally closed the door in her room and went downstairs.

Fair waited for her at the bottom of the stairs, clutching the box of the corsage unconsciously. He couldn’t explain his feeling but it was the same feeling he felt whenever he was at a launch of a structure he designed. He was both nervous and excited, even when he already knew that he was about to see something so wonderful.

Sure enough she did not disappoint.

Urassaya looked radiant as the warm glow of the ceiling light fell against her bare shoulders. Her hair was neatly swept back with some soft curls falling against one side of her shoulders. Her sequined apricot colored gown sparkled and matched the shimmer of her smile. Fair could only gape as he realized how tall she really was, with the soft tulle of her gown seeming to go on forever. He didn’t think she could look prettier and he was completely blown away by her beauty.

“I…. I… I’m speechless Ms. Sperbund,” Fair said as he chuckled. Semi-consciously, he ran his hand across his hair and finally added, “You’re very beautiful.”

Yaya blushed as she heard the words, “Thank you,” she replied, as she tried to calm her heart. “You don’t look so bad yourself, P’Fair.”

Of course in her mind, he didn’t look bad at all, not one bit – he was quite handsome! He looked so dashing with his tailored suit and she believed she hadn’t seen that color on him before. She was pleased with his effort to match her dress with his necktie. And she liked how his eyes sparkled as they usually did. What she liked most of all was the smile he gave her as she went down the stairs. She felt glad that he appreciated how she looked.

She had butterflies in her stomach and she felt giddy just by knowing that they’ll be going to the ball, all dressed up like this together. She could barely even understand his words as he offered her the corsage and offered to tie it around her hand.

She was just smiling shyly at him, especially with the way he subtly touched her hand as he tied the bow on her arm when Uncle Kitti’s voice caught her attention.

“Mother, see, isn’t he handsome?”

“Oh my!” her mother soon followed suit and likewise ogled the boy.

A young man suddenly emerged from the guest room. It was strange. Just when she thought her heart couldn’t beat any faster…

…It did.

Her heart beat so fast, everything around her seemed to slow down in comparison. She didn’t even know who he was and yet … why was it that… she suddenly felt warm and cold all over in an instant. His hair was up and styled like the daras she saw on TV. She could have sworn she saw Nadech with that hair in one of his many photo shoots in one of those magazines she hoarded. Yet the young man was so tall and slim as she could see from the way his long legs looked from his black tailored pants and the way the white cuffs by the end of his long arms peeked from his dinner coat.

No, he was no dara, he was a prince. The tuxedo he wore hugged his waist snuggly although his chest seemed to puff up with arrogance only a man of nobility could exude so naturally. His broad shoulders were pushed back and kept his back ramrod straight and she wondered if her arms could fit into them. She didn’t know where the urge to wrap her arms around his shoulders came from and yet before she could even follow through with that thought another image entered her head once she noticed the black bowtie that lined his strong neck. She just wanted to tug the damned thing loose and to set him free, so she could place her hand against his chest, to feel his heart…

She wasn’t prepared when he suddenly turned her way and it was only then that she managed to see him fully. He looked so different and yet so familiar… his fair complexion only accentuated his face, especially his plump red lips which had the slightest hint of a smile. He had those cheeks that she had always wanted to cup with her hands so she could stare and stare at his eyes… his almond shaped eyes that looked straight at her soul as though he knew her so well.  

Her lips parted, as if to speak and by then, Fair already noticed that her attention was elsewhere. He looked back and realized what it was that had her so flabbergasted.

James – 2 ; Fair – 2

The familiar stranger saw the way she looked at him and he couldn’t resist breaking into a big smile that reached both his heart and hers.

“JAMES!” Yaya gasped as she looked at Fair briefly and said, “Look at him!”

Fair swallowed his frown and chuckled at Yaya’s expression. He watched her walk to him, still with a confused smile in her face.

“James… You look so… well… so…”

“Very handsome!” Grandma said the words out loud for her and she merely shook her head as she grinned. She reached out to touch his hair with one of her fingers as if to make sure he were real.

“You’re the beautiful one, Ya,” James said as he breathed in, finding it hard to do so as his heart beat so fast as well, especially when Yaya placed her fingers by his eyelid where his eyeglasses were supposed to be but were not.

“Look at all the beautiful people in this house right now, how lucky we are!” Kitti said joyfully. “I think it’s time for a selfie!”

Yaya’s mom ushered Fair to where they were so he could join in the fun. Yet just when he approached, James took advantage of Yaya’s confusion and pulled her closer to himself. Undeterred, Fair moved to Yaya’s other side and stood near her. Fair looked at Yaya just when she was looking at James in wonder and he, in turn was trying his best to focus on Uncle Kitti’s cell phone. A few snaps here and there and suddenly Uncle Kitti handed Fair the phone.

Reluctantly, Fair snapped a photo of the whole family with James and Yaya in the middle and he swore he saw James gleefully mocking him with his eyes.

James – 3 ; Fair – 2

“Well, we best be on our way then,” Yaya announced finally as she went to each of her elders and gave them a hug and a kiss.

Just then, Uncle Kitti motioned to Fair about the five rules, to which he nodded solemnly. Kanda then whispered some words to James and sent them on their way.

Just when they were going out the door, both men extended their hands to her. Yaya did not even have to pick as she immediately took Fair’s hand without thinking.

James – 3 ; Fair – 3

“Rule No. 1,” Kitti grumbled, and Kanda merely grabbed his arm and shook her head.

“Let them be Kitti. He’s only being a gentleman,” Kanda said as Grandma nodded.

“I wonder how those three would fare tonight,” Grandma sighed. “I wonder if our girl would be able to choose correctly.”

“We’ll see mother, we’ll see.” Kanda replied as she leaned on her mother and sighed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Notes:

Dun dun duuuuuun. Sorry for the technical terms. I learned a lot about fashion after writing this chapter.  :sweat: . I didn't think Men's clothing was that complicated. I want to write more but it's 3:42 am where I am right now and I am quite sleepy.  :sleep:

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
That was quite beautifully written!!! I love the dress you picked out for Yaya. I can totally see her wearing it, coming down the stairs. I loved the little flashback that Noey had too. I can't wait to find out more about Fair and Noey's relationship. Right now it seems like they like each other but her parents didn't like him. I also loved how you described Yaya's feelings when she saw James for the "first" time. :)

sarNie Adult
That was the gown you suggested Nong Bieluvr! Thank you very much for your help. I realized that it's actually easier to picture men in my head rather than women. Perhaps it's because I ogle men all the time. Yaya is so pretty in everything that she wears! I can make her wear a burlap sack and she'd still look hot. 

I have a confession to make. When I was writing the reveal part, I was grinning (read: Laughing hysterically!) like Yaya in the 1:30 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1SFPgV_-B8

I realized that James Ji's stare + Smile is my ultimate weakness. Just thinking about it in my head in order to write about it makes me giggle like a school girl. I had to stop several times while typing when I was thinking about his stare and describing how it would have looked like if his best friend saw it for the "first time". I'm sorry if that part was a bit rushed but I couldn't take it anymore. I suppose I ended up writing my feelings and not Yaya's  :lmao3:

Oh by the way Accalia, i think i forgot to mention it,  :scratchhead2: but yes! James is wearing a black bow tie.    :beer: