❤️ Various ET News

View attachment 39937
Not thai news but I thought this post also relates to the Thai industry. I think the superstar era is definitely over. Now a days especially in the Thai industry there hasn’t been many household name type stars coming from the new generations. The last era for that was the Yaya, Mark, Nadech, Taew, James Ji, Kimmy, etc. generation. It’s sad cause I feel those days were more nostalgic and the new gens feel a little more boring but at least that kind of forces the producers to hopefully create much better content.
As a Indian American myself I find comfort and solace in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, LOL. Nobody in Bollywood can beat the superstars, I can't name one actress that got me to watch her, though I appreciate Katrina's looks, she cannot act if her life depended on it. These days in Bollywood (When my parents force me to watch it when I visit), it seems like it's always dancing or glamour appeal--no real stories, though it's gotten bolder and bolder by day, these actors don't appeal to me and don't have talent (Deepika and Priyanka are the rare exception, they good at acting). I was like what's the story in this? I'd much prefer to go back to my SRK and Kajol days. If Ken and Anne are getting their reunion could I demand one for SRK and Kajol, they are my KA in the Bollywood world LOL.

Oh and sorry for talking about Bollywood but I just wanted to point our that now a day's all of the actors we found comfort in, are the only things that keep going in the entertainment world, the newbies are being casted like they are ice cream with a hungry child, of course they just select the bunch without talent. Honestly, same thing in K-pop right now, though I wouldn't say Kdrama world.

SuzieJ

sarNie OldFart
Oh and sorry for talking about Bollywood but I just wanted to point our that now a day's all of the actors we found comfort in, are the only things that keep going in the entertainment world, the newbies are being casted like they are ice cream with a hungry child, of course they just select the bunch without talent. Honestly, same thing in K-pop right now, though I wouldn't say Kdrama world.
Kdrama world is the only place i still really enjoy the work and feel like it’s gotten better as time has gone on however the appeal for the Bollywood and Thai industry has gone down. They are definitely more modern in their storylines and stuff but the feeling it used to give isn’t there anymore. Only about less than 20% of Thai dramas these days do I actually like and enjoy sadly. Even the work my fave stars put out do I rarely like because the storylines are either boring or there’s no chemistry.

Kdrama world is the only place i still really enjoy the work and feel like it’s gotten better as time has gone on however the appeal for the Bollywood and Thai industry has gone down. They are definitely more modern in their storylines and stuff but the feeling it used to give isn’t there anymore. Only about less than 20% of Thai dramas these days do I actually like and enjoy sadly. Even the work my fave stars put out do I rarely like because the storylines are either boring or there’s no chemistry.
I agree with you, Korean Dramas are really hitting it with their newbies, and even oldies. Vincenzo was a super hit, and Itaewon Class, it's okay to not be okay it was the main huge role for the newbie actresses (female leads) who doesn't know Seo Ye Ji now. Mr. Queen was also a huge hit, kdrama world has only gotten better and I don't think the hype will die down soon.

neenavaj

sarNie Adult
One major issue with Thai Ent is the writing. Storytelling is basically dead! Last most interesting writing came out of Pope and Bella's Love Destiny! GMM does do an okay job with their dramas and they cater to younger audiences. I don't know, my faith in Thai Ent is fading everyday.

spanky

sarNie OldFart
The golden age of Thai et...has been gone for a bit...

I have not watch and enjoy 1 lakorn is year.

Usually it maybe 1 or 2 a year....

The storyline is eh...dragging.

C drama suffer from dragging..filler storyline....but the products is being greedy with Ads.

The web drama is better...it cap around 24-30ish ep...

C/k drama does have more to pick from and is versatile.

They have crime....mystery....action..as stand alone and romance

Thai ET is having an identity crisis....also PC world is effecting a lot.

I been watching some older lakorns or lakorns I missed....they are ok...nothing fantastic. There's a few gems I still enjoy.

Maricon

sarNie Oldmaid
I'm more into Korean/Chinese dramas lately than Thai. Thai ET is being more selfish lately with CH3 following suit and I only see GMMTV consistently providing english subtitles/full episodes on YouTube.

bit

sarNie Adult
CH3 is making their drama available on online platform nowadays such at WeTV, Viu and Netflix, so they wouldn't be uploading English subs on Youtube as it's already available elsewhere.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I watched Chinese dramas but finishing them is another story. But when I find a good one it's really good. Chinese dramas may have a lot of the coming of age romance but they do have mature dramas out there as well. They are not stuck to one thing where Thai lakorns are guilty of. Thai lakorns are just there. But viewers are to blame as well. They seem comfortable with the past plots that if there is something new airing the rating tank. So, the channels kept on recycling old scripts to appeased the viewers.

I am more into Turkish dramas. I find the actors so much stronger in their acting than chinese/Thai actors. It's like when they are on screen they command your attention. The only problem I have with them is the length of their dramas. They do have some that's 12 episodes but those are usually erupt ending. They will continue dramas only if the ratings are good if not they will end it out of the blue lol. So getting invested in their dramas is at your own risk. I have been unfortunate that the ones I have been following are 190+ episodes only for the male lead dead at the end or getting shot at the end looking like he's dead with season 2 nowhere in sight lol. One drama is at 300+ episodes and still going hahaha.

preetam

sarNie Oldmaid
View attachment 39937
Not thai news but I thought this post also relates to the Thai industry. I think the superstar era is definitely over. Now a days especially in the Thai industry there hasn’t been many household name type stars coming from the new generations. The last era for that was the Yaya, Mark, Nadech, Taew, James Ji, Kimmy, etc. generation. It’s sad cause I feel those days were more nostalgic and the new gens feel a little more boring but at least that kind of forces the producers to hopefully create much better content.
90's/00 = renaissance of Bollywood. I remember how hot Bollywood was during the early to mid 00's without the developpment of RS. In my high school names like Aish (the most popular worldwide), Kajol, Rani, (my least fav) Kareena, Preity, SRK, Aamir Khan, Hrithik Roshan, (my least fav) Salman Khan etc... with movies like Devdas, KHNH, Veer Zaara, K3G, Black, KKHH, DDLJ, Dil Chahta Hai, Saathiya , Laagan (went to oscar), Dil Chahta Hai etc...were getting noticeable to the point when SRK, Rani and Preity came in Paris for promotion in 2006 (the birth of Youtube) loads of fans came to see them. It was so crazy they talked about the event on the news. Bollywood was seriously becoming a soft power tool for India the way Kpop is now for Korea. Now for sure bollywood is still popular as we can see the numbers of the YT views concerning Bollywood songs but it has lost the craze of the 00's decade. The newer batch of actors, except for Ranbir Kapoor (debuted in 2007 so not so new tho), all look like bodybuilders with no depth with Tiger Joffre being the worst. Sushant who had some gravitas (check Kai Po Che) was apparently done dirty by the industry and is dead now. The vetetans who were in their prime during the late 80's till 00's are still there doing their things but they are not at their top anymore ? I can't help but think Bollywood is going through a dark age phase now, no matter the numbers.

preetam

sarNie Oldmaid
I watched Chinese dramas but finishing them is another story. But when I find a good one it's really good. Chinese dramas may have a lot of the coming of age romance but they do have mature dramas out there as well. They are not stuck to one thing where Thai lakorns are guilty of. Thai lakorns are just there. But viewers are to blame as well. They seem comfortable with the past plots that if there is something new airing the rating tank. So, the channels kept on recycling old scripts to appeased the viewers.

I am more into Turkish dramas. I find the actors so much stronger in their acting than chinese/Thai actors. It's like when they are on screen they command your attention. The only problem I have with them is the length of their dramas. They do have some that's 12 episodes but those are usually erupt ending. They will continue dramas only if the ratings are good if not they will end it out of the blue lol. So getting invested in their dramas is at your own risk. I have been unfortunate that the ones I have been following are 190+ episodes only for the male lead dead at the end or getting shot at the end looking like he's dead with season 2 nowhere in sight lol. One drama is at 300+ episodes and still going hahaha.
Lord ! You talk my heart about cdramas !! The main problem I repeat it they can't write female lead characters for sh.t !! I stopped watching cdramas and only waiting for Zhang Ruo Yun's Sword Snow stride and JOL2

preetam

sarNie Oldmaid
The newer generation feel like a blend in not a stand out kind of group. Social media might also play a part in it too. Some might feel whatever about the acting but really enjoy the social media part of it. If they don't make it in one section they have another one to rely on. Also, people seemed burnt out by not just bollywood or Hollywood but the industry as a whole. I am sure there is going to be at least one 'it' woman or man will carry the torch.
With its growth through Social Media kpop is following that trend as well. The artists are more and more solely popular thanks to the exposure rather than the quality of the songs. In addition the "priviledge" culture encouraged by the company-fandom habit within the kpop followers, does not help at all.
About Jdramas they had a bunch of really good dramas during the 90's and 00's ( masterpiece "Jin Minakata" revived the time travel trend back in 2009). I was crazy for jdramas even 70's classics chanbaras like Kozure Okami "Lone cart. Hana Yori Dango quality remains untouched (rewatched it) as a romance drama. Now most of them are weird romantic shows were leads act like... the latest one I tried was titled "phantom sth" and I thought I was damaging my brain cells. I stopped

Last edited:

neenavaj

sarNie Adult

OMG! I just got into Turkish dramas. LOL...the people are insanely beautiful!

neenavaj

sarNie Adult
Chinese dramas take way too long to air so I have stopped watching them. Plus, if a lead gets into a scandal the whole drama pretty much get axed before it even airs. Idk how Chinese celebs do it, their dramas get aired 3-4 years after filming, I think thats unfair and ridiculous. Chinese dramas pretty much just like to capitalize on what is currently trendy and who is popular. Its all about $$ for Chinese dramas so the stories aren't that good. Honestly, Chinese entertainment news is more exciting then actual Chinese dramas.

Korean dramas are most advanced in storytelling, cinematography, music and directing. However, they tend to jump on one trend for a long time and all the stories become quite similar with a touch of fantasy or family drama.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
OMG! I just got into Turkish dramas. LOL...the people are insanely beautiful!
I find Turkish actors look best in beard. I actually don't care for beard on men but Turkish men wear them beautifully. They transform from a nice man to a dangerous one with beard alone. And actresses have such beautiful eyes. I have watched their dramas for about 2 years now and they seemed to get better. And it's rare that the main leads doesn't have chemistry. There's a channel that have been putting subtitles to a few dramas. One that they actually kept up with even if it's like 124 episodes already.

Maricon

sarNie Oldmaid

Turkish dramas are also beautiful. Their celebrities are also good looking and acting is good too. Problem is the length of it, sometimes other dramas end due to low ratings and I think they are filming while airing at the same time lol.

buroguhonyaku

sarNie Hatchling
Every new generation of actors/actresses and scriptwriting gets progressively worse imo. Not just now, but since many years ago. I think this is the case for many countries, not just Thailand.

I started watching lakorns around five years ago. My first lakorn was RLSR with Push and Lily. I enjoyed it back then and began my forage into lakorns, mainly 2010s lakorns. Then I started watching lakorns from the 2000s because I got bored and realised I found them much more enjoyable than the ones from the 2010s. Started watching 90s lakorns and I feel that those ones are better than the 2000s ones (even without subs). The more I get into older lakorns, the more unwatcheable the new ones become. It's not always the case, but I've noticed that when I watch the newest remake of a lakorn and then watch the old one, I can't stand the new one anymore.

I feel that older lakorn scriptwriting is more romantic. Nowadays, to show that the p'ek is in love with the n'ek, they tend to just make them get jealous or make them get super worried when the n'ek gets hurt. It's pretty much flat-out telling the audience that p'ek loves n'ek because it's so typical.

Compare that to older lakorns like Ruk Jiow Kong Jenjira (Willie/Joy). There's a scene where Joy has to leave Willie's house and his niece is crying and holding onto Joy's hand. Willie pulls his niece's hand away and whilst doing so, runs his pinky down the length of Joy's hand for sneaky final touch before she leaves.

In Dome Thong, Tua nonchantly gives Nampeung a gift, coolly telling her to just accept the gift when she questions it. But you'll notice that the entire scene he avoids eye contact with her. He even gets up from his desk and has his back facing her as he continues to talk because he is embarassed.

It's these little mannerisms/actions - Show not tell, that I find lacking in current lakorns. It is probably a mixture of both scriptwriting and the actors ability.

I've been reading comments from chinese lakorn fans who have recently begun to watch 90s lakorns (after watching the remakes) and there seems to be a general consensus that, while they enjoyed the remake first, they're finding the older version more beautiful and elegant. The actors more charismatic and the actresses more gentle and lovely. What's funny is that they call the older actors uncle in chinese. Like Sam叔, Tua叔, Willie叔, Nok叔.

Chinese dramas take way too long to air so I have stopped watching them. Plus, if a lead gets into a scandal the whole drama pretty much get axed before it even airs. Idk how Chinese celebs do it, their dramas get aired 3-4 years after filming, I think thats unfair and ridiculous. Chinese dramas pretty much just like to capitalize on what is currently trendy and who is popular. Its all about $$ for Chinese dramas so the stories aren't that good. Honestly, Chinese entertainment news is more exciting then actual Chinese dramas.

Korean dramas are most advanced in storytelling, cinematography, music and directing. However, they tend to jump on one trend for a long time and all the stories become quite similar with a touch of fantasy or family drama.
Are you thinking about Taiwanese dramas in terms of airing? Chinese dramas air really fast, 3 weeks for 24 episodes, even though they won't get subbed right away is a pretty good deal. I don't think they take long to air but that's me LOL.