❤️ Various ET News

rae

sarNie Adult
I always wondered about Chinese artists because there are so many of them I can't even keep track. I know they are signed to an agency but from there do they just act with any production companies because it seemed actors/actresses are all over the place. Do they even have a specific channel? Because some web dramas are pretty good. And their views are like in the billions. Though 2 billions are considered successful ( usually it's a possibility of a second season) and their industry is way more competitive. Anyway, have been curious with that side of the world when it comes to that.

Like one actress auditioned and had to act out a line 40 times with different actors.
The Chinese do have specific channels, like online platforms there are youku, tencent, mango tv, iqiyi, and there are even more different tv channels that are separated by city, like Beijing channel, Shanghai channel etc.

And yes, the actors and actresses can act under different production companies.

Although Hong Kong's TVB follow a similar route as Thailand, where if you're under their channel, you can't appear in another channel unless the management gives permission.

kaciele

sarNie Hatchling
Wonder why Pooklook left Ch7. Seems like she was doing well
It depends on the agency and company. Many Chinese actors has their only company and the series is under that production. If their production company sit on them ans they sit with no work.

Also if you are main land or Taiwan

Web drama has more freedom & less restrictions/ censorship

I watch the chinese ET news. Dilreba...famous as she was sitting and had nothing for over a year. She is under Yang MI agency. That why you would she her star with the guys in like all of her lakorn.

Good bye my princess actress...hit it big but she hasn't got any work for over a year. She just got a series recently. She is under Fan Bing Bing production/agency.

That is my snippet of understanding. I follow Marcus sim and sometime read info from dramalist hahaha
@byebye @rae
From my understanding, Chinese actors have their own agency or studio. The production company can be under the same agency but don't have to be. Productions are filmed all the time and it's the luck of the actor/production team/writer if the Chinese government decides that a certain plot or genre is allowed to air or not. Once it's allowed then comes bidding from different platforms and tv stations. Sometimes certain tv stations or internet platforms will have their own drama but again it's still up to a certain department from the Chinese government if they are allowed to air. Web drama definitely has fewer restrictions so they reach an audience easier and faster. So an example of how crazy the censorship can be, several years back handfuls of Korean celebrities went over to china and filmed some dramas there due to the popularity of Korean wave. Some of it got released but a lot of it did not. Why? Basically the Chinese government wasn't happy about Korean's THAAD anti-ballistic missile system(political issues, interesting read). So they basically pulled everything and banned anything related to Korea. Now you have several dramas all filmed and ready to be released but no place to air. Another example, last year they thought there were too many time-traveling dramas from the past several years so they restricted those. Or once they didn't like that there were too many republican period pieces. This department releases guidelines all the time. Everyone in the entertainment industry is at the mercy of these guys and basically how they feel that day. Sadly a lot of c-dramas never see the light of day. I say about 10-15% of productions see an audience. The rest sit in a vault. If you're lucky it might be released a year, 2 maybe even 3 years later but after a certain amount of time, you can kiss that drama goodbye. Competition is fierce. You gotta be popular, be on a well-known production team, come from the right agency, or just struck gold(literally and figuratively) to have a chance of reaching the Chinese audience. But it's lucrative once you hit big or even semi-big. That's why Mike de Angelo is solely focusing on c-dramas instead of lakorns.

bit

sarNie Adult
I've read that top Chinese actor and actresses got paid big bucks (literally millions to act in some drama) is it true?

Mike de Angelo had no chance of reviving his career in Thailand anyway after all his scandals.

kaciele

sarNie Hatchling
I've read that top Chinese actor and actresses got paid big bucks (literally millions to act in some drama) is it true?

Mike de Angelo had no chance of reviving his career in Thailand anyway after all his scandals.
Very true. Though there have been more restrictions implemented like back a couple of years ago, actors were only allowed to be paid a maximum of 1 million yuan per episode but since COVID that number has gone down. Here's an interesting read if you want to understand more https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...evision-stars-have-wages-capped-us725-million
The Chinese market is huge. That's why you see all the brand names and designer companies flocking to China. If you're big you'll get endorsement deals. Quite also the reason why a lot of US movie production either has a Chinese company as part of the producing team and or has something to do with China popping in through the movies or even a Chinese actor in the cast. Everyone is trying to break into the Chinese market and grab a part of that cash pile. China's new middle class, younger generation, and the nouveau riche are the current Chinese economy money pusher.

So this is how the bidding works. If you have a drama and it has the star power, tv companies and internet platforms will bid for the rights to air it. If it hits big, you draw in BILLIONS of views. Words of mouth, social media platforms, and discussion forums all contribute to how well a drama performs. Say a drama is highly anticipated, a company will pay several million Yuan, in US currency it's several hundred thousand dollars, for each episode. So if you're wondering why c-dramas have been longer and draggier, it's because of the capital per episode a production could potentially get. Thankfully end of last year, they've been told to limit dramas with some exceptions to about 40 and under henceforth. Even if it doesn't draw in the huge numbers like expected, it still is decent numbers (millions). A bonus for these dramas, domestic hit or not, they still get interests from foreign fans. This is why tons of web platforms have invested in subs for their dramas and releasing it through Youtube or their apps.

SuzieJ

sarNie OldFart

That’s why so many people try to break into the chinese market. Sometimes even C-list celebrities there make more money than more popular stars from other countries because there is a bigger fan base there and more opportunities there. China is the big dollar signs.

spanky

sarNie OldFart
Just because they run in their group and society ...it's all about money?

I feel it's a bit harsh to assume that any girls who is dating a guy who is rich and hi-so is all about money.

These girls survived w/o them before and i'm sure they'll be fine w/o them.

Of course money is important.

I won't assume or guess.....their intentions....

But this is another perspective.

I'm not sure about the other's but Mint and her family has a few businesses...property owner...restuarant and her ice cream.

Bee Namthip dated variety of guys including hi-so...that's the crowd their life style is around...girl is now single and fine on her own. Making her own $ and living her life

kjc1994

sarNie Oldmaid
Awwwww remember Nong Gino from Bpom Ruk Roy Adeed with Win and Kwan? He's all grown up!!!! My lil Lookchin!

Omg he’s so big now!!! I loved him as Nong Lookchin. He was so cute and would always wipe his P’Torfun’s face. He was super cute in Sung Tong too.

kjc1994

sarNie Oldmaid
I see there’s some buzz since neither Bella or Mai were nominated from Krong Kam. I see James is nominated from Krong Kam but to be honest, I feel like the females really were the main characters. I’m shocked as well they weren’t nominated. They both did a great job in that Lakorn in my opinion. They should of definitely been on that list. If not both, at least one of them. :confused12:
http://instagr.am/p/CDnQhrbBppa/

Last edited:

Anne22

sarNie Juvenile
I see there’s a lot of buzz since neither Bella or Mai were nominated from Krong Kam. I see James is nominated from Krong Kam but to be honest, I feel like the females really were the main characters so I’m shocked as well they weren’t nominated. They both did a great job in that Lakorn in my opinion. They should of definitely been on that list. If not both, at least one of them. :confused12:
http://instagr.am/p/CDnQhrbBppa/
The best actress nominees are all great, while the actors are meh, i dont know what the two james are doing in the list

Boomerseng

sarNie Egg
i thought Mai should have been on the list. To me she stole the show even though Bella did great. Thailand has a problem with male actors... a lot of them are not that good compare to the women side, were there is abundance and there is strong competition.

bit

sarNie Adult
If they leave Bella and put Mai Charoenpura it’s still okay,but they left both. Then Pancake for Sri Ayodhaya? she did better in The Voice.

It’s either Baifern or Yaya... by the look of the nominees, they aiming with Yaya.

The male nominees are meh...Andrew should be there for The Voice.

Boomerseng

sarNie Egg
If they leave Bella and put Mai Charoenpura it’s still okay,but they left both. Then Pancake for Sri Ayodhaya? she did better in The Voice.

It’s either Baifern or Yaya... by the look of the nominees, they aiming with Yaya.

The male nominees are meh...Andrew should be there for The Voice.
I would be fine with Baifern or Yaya, but you’re right it looks like they are aiming for Yaya. Add in the fact that Baifern won in 2018 for breakthrough actress, while Yaya has never won an award from nataraj. They could be wanting to give her one. I don’t really care for Thai awards though bc it’s usually bought or through connection, some fans scream and shout about it though.

Reactions: bit

kjc1994

sarNie Oldmaid
I think Yaya will win cause I noticed Thailand’s awards are usually based on popularity. Some awards aren’t even based on talent in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I love Yaya and I’m fine with her winning. I think she did pretty well in Klin Kasalong. I’m just talking about most Thailand awards in general.